Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Storage Solutions
Register Forgot Password?

Old 18-07-13   #16
teh priesT!
[E]onian
Do It Yourself...

Rig Gallery
Re: Need to Test and then if Satisfied Buy a SSD !!

So Manish Bhai... Now what you want to ride... Scorpio or BMW or "Lamborghini".....

OR still want to go with your Maruti 800
ManISinJpr and johnjoyjoe like this.
November 2010
rakesh_sharma23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-13   #17
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

I would buy a Fast accelerating one.. vroooomm......
but I need more input about the many points I have mentioned by all of you uisers.. !!

See if I make a new installation of Windows then I would have to install a lot of applications !! and that would be tiresome.

For that I have to know all about experiences of using and installing !!
But I am waiting for it !! still.
Originally Posted by rakesh_sharma23 View Post
So Manish Bhai... Now what you want to ride... Scorpio or BMW or "Lamborghini".....

OR still want to go with your Maruti 800

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-13   #18
teh priesT!
[E]onian
Do It Yourself...

Rig Gallery

rakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Greatrakesh_sharma23 is simply Great

Originally Posted by ManISinJpr View Post
I would buy a Fast accelerating one.. vroooomm......
Seriously.... Are you ready to put that much of money on PCI-e SSD Storage ?

What's your budget?
rakesh_sharma23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-13   #19
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

Bro, I have no qualms in sharing that I can't afford an expensive drive, but it has to be powerful enough that I am not left with a slow drive.. !
Samsung 840 without the pro series coz noone has told me yet what is the inherent usage benefit that I would get from that pro model !!
Originally Posted by rakesh_sharma23 View Post
Seriously.... Are you ready to put that much of money on PCI-e SSD Storage ?

What's your budget?
Old 18-07-13   #20
teh nuB!
From Silicon / Green City

Raggg is Notable

Both has similar read speeds, Write on 840 pro is faster,
Sequential reads i suppose 840 is faster. vs But 4K reads rocks in 840 pro.
840 pro is more reliable and used MLC (Multi Layer Cell) architecture vs 840 is built on TLC (Triple level cell) architecture NANDFLASH.

Even the warranty for pro is 5 yrs as compared to 840 which is 3 yrs... But this is old data, Not sure if this has changed.

If your application during usage has many high size writes then go for Pro, else 840 should suffice.

I am not sure if TRIM is supported by both. Else that might be another difference.

Regards
Raghu
nish_higher and ManISinJpr like this.
Raggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-13   #21
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

I think that TRIM is supported by both of them !!
Originally Posted by Raggg View Post
I am not sure if TRIM is supported by both. Else that might be another difference.
Old 18-07-13   #22
teh nuB!

Raggg is Notable

On "See if I make a new installation of Windows then I would have to install a lot of applications !! and that would be tiresome."

Also Samsung has a software called Magician which when used can seamlessly copy / transfer OS.

But be careful if you have an existing Raid setup in a PC, That would be lost so you need to back that up as well.
Old 18-07-13   #23
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

See now I am getting excited coz you are answering !!
I do not need to worry for RAID or naything, coz I don't have a raid setup..

I want to know how wel these softwares actually function and also if the mode is changed to AHCI !!
On "See if I make a new installation of Windows then I would have to install a lot of applications !! and that would be tiresome."

Also Samsung has a software called Magician which when used can seamlessly copy / transfer OS.

But be careful if you have an existing Raid setup in a PC, That would be lost so you need to back that up as well.
Raggg likes this.
Old 19-07-13   #24
teh nuB!

Raggg is Notable

"I want to know how wel these softwares actually function and also if the mode is changed to AHCI !!"

Never face a problem during migration when migrating to a single SSD, My greed was to migrate the OS on a SSD, And this does not work... Wonder why Samsung does not support RAID migration.
Old 19-07-13   #25
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

Migratioin from RAID is not there. ! but what did oy use to migrate your OS and was it a single partition or a multiple one, what boot preferences did you have, was your old hdd on ahci or you had to change the mode.
What software did you use for migration successfully ?
Never face a problem during migration when migrating to a single SSD
Old 19-07-13   #26
teh nuB!

Raggg is Notable

Samsung Magician was used for migration, It comes along with the SSD drive, I migrated to a complete drive, I suppose you can make multiple partitions post migration, Also my older disk was in AHCI so i did not have to change it.

Originally Posted by ManISinJpr ♦ View Post
Migratioin from RAID is not there. ! but what did oy use to migrate your OS and was it a single partition or a multiple one, what boot preferences did you have, was your old hdd on ahci or you had to change the mode.
What software did you use for migration successfully ?
ManISinJpr likes this.
Old 19-07-13   #27
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

rdst_1 is highly Reputablerdst_1 is highly Reputablerdst_1 is highly Reputablerdst_1 is highly Reputable

This is all that I have garnered by reading different reviews online -

1) There is a lot of difference in performance when the drive is fresh and when the drive is dirty, as in used. Once you have filled the SSD by half you will start noticing performance degradation. So when checking benchmarks or reviews look at the dirty numbers as they will give you a real view. Point in case the Crucial M500 is amazing when it is fresh but performance drops to half when it gets filled up whereas the Samsung Pro series only loses like 100MB/s in speed. This I came to know when reading reviews at HardOCP and they always give the performance benchmarks of dirty drives.

2) Right now the 840 Pro is the fastest and most reliable SSD money can buy and is recommended world over but the 840 can suffice too if the no of writes are going to be significantly less which I would believe is true is your case usless you do lots of Video Encoding and stuff like that.

3) You can also use Acronis Image maker and transfer your complete C drive to the SSD and not have to worry about the installations but a clean install is always preferred.

4) Raid 0 can give atleast 50% boost and is something I am contemplating myself. So instead of buying a 256GB SSD I will be buying 2 128GB ones and putting them in Raid 0. This way I can get better performance even out of cheaper drives. Though the write speeds don't see much gains the read speeds can increase by 50% and in case of good SSDs like Plextor M5M and M5P even double the speeds.

ManISinJpr likes this.
rdst_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-13   #28
teh nuB!

Raggg is Notable

on

Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
whereas the Samsung Pro series only loses like 100MB/s in speed. This I came to know when reading reviews at HardOCP and they always give the performance benchmarks of dirty drives.
If TRIM is enabled then this degradation is very much limited which is the prime feature of Samsung 840 series hence a thubsup for Samsung, Note that this is a firmware update... But the limiting factor of TRIM is, Its not enabled in RAID.

Also Raid0 gives you both Read and write speeds, Where as Raid1 gives you only read speed, Raid 5 gives you read / write and redundancy to counter disk failures at the expense of more drives.
Old 19-07-13   #29
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

Ohhh so you used the samsung utility, I haven't seen it being used so post some observations on that..
Was your old drive having multiple partitions if es then did you resize them or does this utility give that option of choosing only the C drive !?
Samsung Magician was used for migration, It comes along with the SSD drive, I migrated to a complete drive, I suppose you can make multiple partitions post migration, Also my older disk was in AHCI so i did not have to change it.

Yesh I would prefertably go with Acronis, it is one which I have used before many times too. and these dirty drives are imo the ones which do not have TRIM support.
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
3) You can also use Acronis Image maker and transfer your complete C drive to the SSD and not have to worry about the installations but a clean install is always preferred.
SO th ecurrent sellingSamsung 840 series would require a firmware update for TRIM to function ?
If TRIM is enabled then this degradation is very much limited which is the prime feature of Samsung 840 series hence a thubsup for Samsung, Note that this is a firmware update... But the limiting factor of TRIM is, Its not enabled in RAID.
Old 19-07-13   #30
teh nuB!

Raggg is Notable

Ohhh so you used the samsung utility, I haven't seen it being used so post some observations on that..
This is a free ware from samsung, And will backup only when used with samsung SSD's..

SO th ecurrent sellingSamsung 840 series would require a firmware update for TRIM to function ?
Nope TRIM support in enabled in SSD, Firmware update is from OS for chipset to utilize this feature.

Was your old drive having multiple partitions if es then did you resize them or does this utility give that option of choosing only the C drive !?
Yes my old drive had multiple partitions, I tried C drive, Though i am not sure as i did not try migrating other drives this should also support migration of other drives as well as long as the destination drive is a Samsung SSD pro.
Post New Thread  Reply