Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > General Hardware and Peripherals
Register Forgot Password?

Old 23-03-08   #1
teh priesT!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

[Need Help] 1 long and 3 short beeps

hey all,
I worked on my PC for a few minutes and switched it off .... later in the evening when i switched it ON i got the beeps ... 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps
Here is my config............
ASUS A8N-E (so no another source of display )
AMD 4200+
ATI HD 2900 pro
2x 1Gb twinmos DDR 400Mhz
VIP powersafe PSU 600W with 2 +12V rails of 22amp each
Dell E228WFP Lcd

been running this setup from 9-10 months without any issues ...everything was working perfectly when i last switched it off ... no screen corruption ... no BSOD ... nothing ....

There is no display .... but windows seems to be loading as usual after the beeps...

... i know that this is related to GFX card ...coz of the beep codes ....it used to happen earlier BUT just once in a while ... after i switch the system OFF and ON the problem was gone .... but now it keeps beeping no matter how many times i switch it OFF and ON ...

i cleaned the GFX card thoroughly... checked its connectors ... and changed the 2 6-pin connectors providing power to the card...still not working ...

Please Help

Regards,
Ajex
ajex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-08   #2
iEvangelist
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
GET PEBBLE.

Rig Gallery

Ad1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply Great
Re: [Need Help] 1 long and 3 short beeps

Check the manual for what the Beep codes mean.

Every motherboard has it different.

It cant be the graphics card, its haulting at BIOS.

Mostly some issue with RAM methinks.
Misc : Playstation 3, Xbox 360, iPhone 5, Nexus 4, iPad (3rd gen) 32GB.
Ad1tya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-08   #3
teh priesT!
[E]onian

ajex is highly Admirableajex is highly Admirableajex is highly Admirableajex is highly Admirableajex is highly Admirableajex is highly Admirableajex is highly Admirable

1 Long, 2 Short Video adapter failure Bad video adapter Repeating (Endless loop) Memory error Bad memory or bad connection 1 Long, 3 Short Video adapter failure Bad video adapter or memory High freq. beeps (while running) CPU is overheating CPU fan failure Repeating High, Low beeps CPU failure Bad processor
but still i dont think the card is troubling ... i will test it on another system .... considering the fact that windows is still booting .... hav no display ..but i can feel it .... there is another interesting thing ...noticed that there is a light on the back side of the PCB of the card which blinks 6-7 times .... and another one which glows just once ... maybe it has to do something with the situation ... it used to blink in the normal course also ...but the no. of blinks where 2-3 ... god!... really dunno what has happened
Old 24-03-08   #4
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

jackdowsan is highly Admirablejackdowsan is highly Admirablejackdowsan is highly Admirablejackdowsan is highly Admirablejackdowsan is highly Admirable

just take out the rams, put them back again and try
and if that dosent work, remove your cmos battery and flash it once and then try, i have the same mobo and this works out for me...
jackdowsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-08   #5
teh geeK!
[E]onian

apextwin is highly Admirableapextwin is highly Admirableapextwin is highly Admirableapextwin is highly Admirableapextwin is highly Admirableapextwin is highly Admirableapextwin is highly Admirable

^+1 .. even i have faced this a couple of times now ... also its sometimes due to the power being supplied to the unit ... take care of all the cable connections(int/ext)
apextwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-08   #6
teh priesT!
[E]onian

ajex is highly Admirableajex is highly Admirableajex is highly Admirableajex is highly Admirableajex is highly Admirableajex is highly Admirableajex is highly Admirable

ok i borrowed a 7300GT from a friend .... and it worked on my system with the same setup ....then i went over to my pal's place and installed my radeon on his system with my PSU .... i had to remove one of his HDD due to large size of the card( unfortunately that was his main boot HDD and could't replace it with the other one since time was less ) ... but i managed to get the intel logo and the "insert boot disk error" on his system .... the display was normal without any corruptions and considering the fact that the monitor cable was attached to the card so it WAS on the card's display only... but when i re-installed my card on my system ... the same 4 beeps were coming ... which makes me really confused :S

PS: as u guys hav suggested ... i reinstalled the PSU and the Card 2-3 times on two PCs ... and i hav cleared the CMOS battery also ... (got the CMOS checksum error so i think the CMOS is erased) .... i hav also flashed my BIOS to 1013 from 1010 which was 2-3 months back ...and every thing was working fine after the flash till yesterday ....

i got this card from KMD ... so changing it will be a loong and expensive process ... but the question remains that y is the 7300GT giving display in my PC and the radeon on my friend's PC ....

Last edited by ajex; 24-03-08 at 08:05 PM.
Old 24-03-08   #7
teh priesT!
[E]onian

i felt that the radeon fan is a bit slow ... and it was a bit warm ( just like the HDD ) but again iam not sure .... the speed was set to automatic since beginning ... and i NEVER OVERCLOCKED the card .... found it when i managed to listen to some music for 20-30 minutes( without DISPLAY ) thanks to my shortcuts :|
Old 25-03-08   #8
teh priesT!
[E]onian

i took all the stuff out of the cabinet ( to negate any electrical grounding ) at first i got the same beeps .. after few tries ...the display came and it worked like it should ... i played FEAR ... and a bit of crysis just to see that everything was stable .... and it worked flawlessly ... so after testing the temps and all ... i switched it OFF and before moving the stuff back to the cabinet i tried again just to check if things were really working .... but .... AGAIN THE BEEPS ...
here is the pic of the stuff running outside the cabinet:

1. gfx card and PSU are OK,
2. RAM and proc are ok ( my PC worked with my friend's card )

Please suggest me something guys
Old 25-03-08   #9
En Taro Adun
Blank

Superfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply Great

change ur cabby ?
edit: wait a minute.. ive seen this prob on my friends comp.. if he switched it off the beeps would start and he would have to wait for 6-7 hours for the comp to be able to work properly again.. in his case the mobo was at fault.. tried another mobo?

Galaxy Nexus | Samsung Series 5 Chromebook running Ubuntu!
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 32GB I/O Edition
My Twitter!
My Audio Gear(Past and Present)
CanJam 2010 Pictures!!
My Last.fm Page
[E]'s Twitter!
"We all got our choices to make." "Damn Shame."

Last edited by Superfrag; 25-03-08 at 11:18 PM.
Superfrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-08   #10
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Big fat lump of corruption

Rig Gallery

Punnyabrata is highly AdmirablePunnyabrata is highly AdmirablePunnyabrata is highly AdmirablePunnyabrata is highly AdmirablePunnyabrata is highly AdmirablePunnyabrata is highly Admirable

I think this link should help: Computer POST / beep codes
Punnyabrata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-08   #11
En Taro Adun
Blank

Superfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply Great

well.. it shows a memory read and write error... so ur RAMS are at fault.. the sometimes when it works is when the RAM just manages to not cause any error..
Superfrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-08   #12
teh geeK!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

Punnyabrata is highly AdmirablePunnyabrata is highly AdmirablePunnyabrata is highly AdmirablePunnyabrata is highly AdmirablePunnyabrata is highly AdmirablePunnyabrata is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by Superfrag View Post
well.. it shows a memory read and write error... so ur RAMS are at fault.. the sometimes when it works is when the RAM just manages to not cause any error..
well the beep codes during NO POST situation vary from one bios to another...in one type of BIOS it may mean memory error while it make mean video error in some other type of BIOS
Old 26-03-08   #13
teh priesT!
[E]onian

yep ... mine is AWARD bios .... and i hav checked it again ... here is the link for the beep codes:BiosCentral - Award BIOS Beep Codes
it says : 1long, 3short No video card or bad video RAM Reseat or replace the video card.
the funny thing is that my card + PSu work in first shot in my friend's PC ...and his card works in my PC with my PSU ... i really dont think that RAM is the prob... after a few googling i came to know that grounding of the mobo can also cause this ..so i took everything out ... but still beeps were there ...although it worked by chance ...but after the shutdown ... again there were the same beeps ...

Last edited by ajex; 26-03-08 at 02:21 AM.
Old 26-03-08   #14
teh geeK!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

Unplug everything (except the power cord, monitor, keyboard, and mouse):
  • Speakers
  • Printers
  • Scanners
  • USB devices
  • Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs)
  • USB flash drive or other external hard drive
Power the system off and unplug the power cable.

Press and hold the power button for five (5) seconds to drain power reserves.

Open the computer case.Reseat the Video Card

Reseat the Video Card

Remove all Expansion Cards Except for the Video Card

Try to Swap With a Known Good Video Card

Incase another video card is not available then, strip Desktop to Only Motherboard, Power Supply & Processor

Power the system on. It should emit several beeps in a pattern indicating that no memory is detected. Look for System Codes and Messages and/or POST beep codes for the detailed tables to decode the diagnostic indications of every sequence of beeps.

Lemme know what happens...
Old 27-03-08   #15
teh priesT!
[E]onian

After removing the rams i get 1 long beep and 2 short beeps continuously ...
Post New Thread  Reply