Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Buying Help > PC Buying Help
Register Forgot Password?

Old 21-12-12   #1
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.

Rig Gallery
Need All the Help Possible for Building a True High End Gaming Rig

Hello every one. I have listed below the list of components that i will be buying soon to build a high end gaming machine. I am buying a desktop computer after a span of 9 years. Some dear friends have suggested me the following and some are my own choices.
However, i would love to get more feedback from all of you. I want everything to work in harmony without any compatability issues.
So please let me know if my config is fit for a high end system or do i need to change a few things here and there and accordingly guide me to build a perfect machine which will play all current and future games like Far Cry 3 and Crysis 3 on MAX settings. :gunfight:
  • Budget: 90k - 1.25L
  • Existing hardware setup: NA
  • Components from the existing setup that you intend to keep: NA
  • Components that you have in mind for your new PC:
  • CPU: Intel 3.4 GHz LGA 1155 Core i7 3770,
  • Gskill RAM (Memory) F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (4X4)
  • Hard Drives: 1TB Seagate Baracuda and Samsung 840 SSD 120GB
  • Graphics Card: Asus GTX680-DC2G-4GD5 (4GB) OR ZOTAC GeForce GTX 670 - (2GB) AMP Edition Graphic Card
  • Sound Card: Asus Zonar DX
  • Motherboards: Asus P8Z77-V PRO Intel Z77 Chipset OR Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB WIFI Motherboard
  • PSU: Corsair HX850
  • Cabinet: Bitfenix Shinobi XL Window
  • Monitor Dell U2412M UltraSharp
  • UPS: ???
  • Plans to upgrade in the future: YES
  • Places from where you will buy components along with your location: Various
  • Are you comfortable with buying secondhand components from the Erodov market? : NO
  • Intended use of the PC [gaming/office use/rendering/HD playback etc] : Gaming, Office Use, HD playback etc
  • Brand preferences: Which ever ones are reliable and best in quality and performance
  • Monitor resolution and size: 1920x1220
  • Will you be overclocking your setup?: Very doubtful
  • Which OS will you use?: Windows 7 Home Premium
mod_to_odd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-12   #2
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
I can see you !

macwin is Mysterious
Re: Need All the Help Possible for Building a True High End Gaming Rig

Uber- High End PC !

Here is a similar setup i am going .
macwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-12   #3
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
figuring out a movie to watch

KrashNBurn is extremely Eminent
KrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely Eminent

Originally Posted by mod_to_odd View Post
I want everything to work in harmony without any compatibility issues.
Get a Mac but that kinda defeats the purpose.
Consider this a heads up, any one can run into temporary issues due to incompatibility. However I consider this part and parcel of this experience, but of course we will avoid the issues that are blatantly in your face

Coming to your config, these two lines are slightly contradictory. If you are not going to overclock, are you certain you need these boards?
Will you be overclocking your setup?: Very doubtful
Motherboards: Asus P8Z77-V PRO Intel Z77 Chipset OR Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB WIFI Motherboard
This question is like deciding what you want in a motorcycle - mileage or speed. You gotta decide before you buy it. This will also have an impact on saving money which could be invested in other components.

If you won't overclock could you list the features that you would like in a board?

You can run, but you can't hide!

KrashNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-12   #4
Cat in the rat race
Community Coordinator
Incognito

ChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly Famed

So you need a perfect gaming machine which will play all the games in 1900x1200 with ultra details and not sweat even a little.

1. Core i5-3470 ( Not 3770, not anything else). Plenty for gaming, and day to day tasks, and even medium level rendering.
2. A good H77/B75 motherboard. Asrock/MSI/Gigabyte/Asus - take your pick according to your budget and what features you need.
3. GTX 680 is a waste in terms of price/performance. Almost all the models out here are way overpriced. Get a GTX670, or a HD7950.
4. You don't need 16 GB of RAM for gaming. Unless you want to do a ramdisc or something, 8 GB is more than sufficient.
5. HX850 - good choice, but overkill for your setup. Having some headroom is fine, so this is cool with me.
6. Monitor, Cabinet - good choices. Shinobi XL is a very underrated case but has loads of room for your components. I don't think I need to pass judgement about the monitor anyway.

Since you are doubtful about overclocking, choose something which will give you best value for money in the stock settings. The processor I listed has almost the same stock performance as a 3570k. You do not need 3770 unless you do something that takes advantage of Hyperthreading. Spending that much amount of money for a processor which won't let you overclock itself is not a smart decision IMHO.

Ditch the Z77 boards if you're not going to overclock. B75 and H77 boards these days offer plenty of features. Save up some moolah and you can invest that in other components. Don't go all out for a rig which won't serve you the proper purpose. Sure, a GTX680 might give you the bragging rights, but for 1080p it is way overkill. Even a HD7850/70 and a GTX660/Ti can play games in high detail in 1080p ~ if you get my drift.

If you were buying a 1440p/1600p monitor, I'd have suggested to go with the GTX680. But not in this resolution.

Also remember, the costlier parts you buy - the more will be the cost of depreciation later.

Cheers!
Old 21-12-12   #5
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
Bring it ON !!!

Rig Gallery

saifbukhari is very Honorablesaifbukhari is very Honorable
Reiterating:

Gpu - 670 or 680 of your choice

Cabinet: shinobi is cool, but consider swtch 810 anytime as it has more features, unless you have plastic body issue's, for me it was a non issue

Psu : 750w is enough

Rest all is cool mate

Edit: also apart from features switch 810 is ke 10k and shinobi xl is 12k per your input.

Last edited by saifbukhari; 21-12-12 at 05:38 PM.
saifbukhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-12   #6
teh priesT!
[E]onian
GPU !!! Kaput ... :( :(

herecomesmaggi is very Honorableherecomesmaggi is very Honorable

CPU: Intel 3.4 GHz LGA 1155 Core i7 3770,
Why 3770 ??? Why not 3570 k !!!
Asus P8Z77-V PRO Intel Z77 Chipset OR Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB
Why Z77 Mobo ?? U Arnt Going To Overclock, So h77 or b75 Chipset Is Gr8 .....
GTX 670 titanium Is Gud And Better Then 680 !!! Save Few Bucks And Purchase A Board With Sli And Crossfire .... This Way U Would Be Future proof !!!
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor Overclocked @ 4.2GHZ. |||| Corsair CWCH60 CPU Cooler. |||| Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 Z77 Motherboard. |||| Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 @1600 Mhz (Dual Channel).|||| WD Caviar Blue 500 GB + WD Caviar Green 2 TB(WD20EARX).|||| Zotac 460 GTS (560 sold, Saving Money For 660Ti).|||| Corsair 300R With Rubber Padding And 4 Fans.|||| Corsair GS 600v2.|||| Asus DRW-24B5ST.|||| LG - M2341A.|||| UPS: 800VA Microtek.|||| Keyboard: Microsoft. |||| Mouce: Kinzu. |||| Pad: Golliath And A Xbox Controller.
Will Soon Update : kraken x60 cooler
Gadgets
Gameboy Advance, PsP 3004 , Ps1 , Ps2 Hdd Modded, Ps3 320GB, Nokia 6700s, Pantech burst, Apple Ipad Gen 4 , Sony Handycam 80GB , Nikon Digital Cam.
Will Update Soon: Dslr cam
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________________
A thing about Idiots, they drag you from your level of expertise to their level of stupidity, then beat you with their experience !!!
[Please Forgive My Camel Texts !!!]
Old 21-12-12   #7
teh nuB!

Rig Gallery

mod_to_odd is Mysterious

Originally Posted by krashnburn View Post
Get a Mac but that kinda defeats the purpose.
Consider this a heads up, any one can run into temporary issues due to incompatibility. However I consider this part and parcel of this experience, but of course we will avoid the issues that are blatantly in your face

Coming to your config, these two lines are slightly contradictory. If you are not going to overclock, are you certain you need these boards?

This question is like deciding what you want in a motorcycle - mileage or speed. You gotta decide before you buy it. This will also have an impact on saving money which could be invested in other components.

If you won't overclock could you list the features that you would like in a board?

I would like to have a board with SLI, wifi, good HD sound features. Or should i get a sound card? Which one?

Tell me something please, for gaming as of now with games like Far cry 3, Crysis 3, do i or will i need to overclock?? I dont want to push my Graphics card clock speeds up since i will be buying the Zotac gtx670 AMP edition. And i dont know how much of a boost i will get in games if i overclock the CPU. I have never overclocked the CPU or Graphics card because it kinda scares me. I know there are fantastic cooling options in the market but i am not much of a computer person who mods and overclocks for peak performance. I have only installed ram and graphics card years ago. In short I would prefer to upgrade rather overclock.
Old 21-12-12   #8
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
Bring it ON !!!

Rig Gallery

saifbukhari is very Honorablesaifbukhari is very Honorable
Gtx 670 4gb asus dc2 or gtx 670 amp as you rightly mentioned, also check @nitinbalyan for gtx 680.

bro you are getting over paranoid regarding the numbers and benches - there is no need. Period.

Also there is no need for sli trust me its not worth it per most of us here and other forums who know by experience. Just for the sake of some number's you would end up heating the cabby indoors plus you may get into some game issues, driver issues etc, cable issues etc.. they may or may not be compatible.

Its simple... one is better than two anytime, yes you may lose a fraction in fps etc but certainly not a day n night difference in performance.

3770 and a rock solid board like maximus v gene/ maximus extreme/any top end asus z77, or the ones you stated are all that you need for atleast 2-3 years to come to be on the top or front line.

Also get asus xonar essence stx should you prefer sound card, its great for headphones and 2.1 speakers too, dont know much about 5.1

Hope this helps and you take the best and informed decision.

adityareds likes this.

Last edited by saifbukhari; 21-12-12 at 08:30 PM.
saifbukhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-12   #9
teh zeuS!
[E]onian

KrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely Eminent

Originally Posted by saifbukhari View Post
Its simple... one is better than two anytime, yes you may lose a fraction in fps etc but certainly not a day n night difference in performance.
I don't completely agree with this although we are probably going to end up giving the same suggestion - Its practically easier and better to upgrade a GPU than SLi/Xfire it, but this fraction of FPS is completely dependent on the time frame of buying the second card. Otherwise today's GPUs scale very well in both SLi and Xfire formats.
Originally Posted by saifbukhari View Post
a rock solid board like maximus v gene/ maximus extreme/any top end asus z77,
I am gonna ask why an overclocker's board for someone who wont overclock.
But at the same time I having a hard time finding anything that is not a enthusiast board and has built in WiFi
Old 21-12-12   #10
teh nuB!

Rig Gallery

mod_to_odd is Mysterious

Guys what UPS should I buy? A 1KVA minimum or 2KVA and what brand?
Old 21-12-12   #11
teh zeuS!
[E]onian

I would like to have a board with SLI, wifi, good HD sound features. Or should i get a sound card? Which one?
1. Any particular reason why you'd like onboard wifi ?
2. Additional sound card is almost always better than the on-board one (depends on which sound card)
mod_to_odd likes this.
Old 22-12-12   #12
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
I can see you !

macwin is Mysterious

hello .

Sound :
For sound u could go with Gaming headsets 7.1 Dolby surround sound like Logitech G35 or Crosier 1500 or Crosier 2000 if u want them wireless . Crosier 1500 got Tom's hardware recommended approval . Subjective Testing And Conclusion : Eight 5.1- And 7.1-Channel Gaming Headsets, Reviewed

Processor : I say i5 3570k and get a nice cooler if u want go extreme oc like NHD14(best fan cooler ) or h100 ( liquid cooler ) .

Best price / performance and most all will recommend is Hyper 212 will give u stable clocks 4.3-4.5 ghz depends on Room temp also
Gpu : 670 gtx best bang for money .

1 thing i learned is a gaming build always needs room for upgrade in future if u want to keep everything maxed out .
So just get Performance / Value for money Items and save money for future upgrades like GPU .

75% of gaming performance comes from GPU and CPU's job is not bottleneck a fast gpu that's it

Macwin
Old 22-12-12   #13
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

terencefdes is very Notable

Originally Posted by krashnburn View Post
I don't completely agree with this although we are probably going to end up giving the same suggestion - Its practically easier and better to upgrade a GPU than SLi/Xfire it, but this fraction of FPS is completely dependent on the time frame of buying the second card. Otherwise today's GPUs scale very well in both SLi and Xfire formats.
+ 1 Even if you go for the 670 4GB.... then no need to SLi. 2-3 years down the line sell this off for another GPU

I am gonna ask why an overclocker's board for someone who wont overclock.
But at the same time I having a hard time finding anything that is not a enthusiast board and has built in WiFi
AFAIK "enthusiast" boards (with ALL the eye-candy) are available ONLY in the Z77 series. Even if one does not OC... the Z77 boards are ultra robust & like OP .... I too re-build my RIG after almost 9 years, so I am looking at my current RIG serving me at least for the next 5-6 years

Let me share my own thought's as I build a similar RIG not very long ago.
1. Your budget of 90K..1L may prove to be too little for the components you wish to buy. It will touch 1.2L easily.

2. I am using the Gigabyte ZA-77-UD5H WB Wi-Fi
The Wi-Fi board performs excellent [in all room's of my home, within a radius of 25-40 feet & thru walls]; I have not tested the Bluetooth as yet. There is only one drawback - the Gigabyte wifi driver/utility does not remember the password that I have fed (after each boot it needs to be entered again). They have an updated driver which I have yet to try. This board has adequate SATA 3/6 Gbps ports (Total 8 of which I am using 6). I went for this board as I planned to hackintosh (pending).

3. Even if you settle for the 3770 ...(price Rs 18190 theitdepot) or 3570K. It is better to go for an 3rd party CPU cooler (CM Hyper 212 EVO... not very expensive) as Ivybridge procs have the worst factory heat-sinks.

4. Apart from Gaming, what other softwares/apps would you be using this RIG for?

5. Do a side-by-side comparision of i5-i7 to check which will suit your needs better (i7 obviously is more fture-proof) ONLY until Haswell comes)

6. RAM go for 1866 MHz G.Skill Ripjaws Z (not the X series - as it's heats-spreaders... the 1st 2 slots will interefere with most CPU coolers)

7. PSU - The Seasonic X760W Modular is a fantastic PSU & the best out there

Cheers
Terry
System: i7-3770K | Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H WB Wi-Fi | ASUS GTX 660Ti DirectCUII-Top Ed | Noctua NH-C14 | 16GB RipjawsZ @ 1866Mhz | Ocz Vertex4 128GB SSD | Seasonic X760W Modular | Seagate 1TB + 2TB | Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM | CM Storm Stryker | CM Excalibur 120mm Fan | Lian-Li SATA cables | WD 2 + 2TB | Waiting to hackintosh soon

Etcetra
: LG47" LED 4600 series| WD TV Live Hub| WD 1TB | Seagate 2TB usb3 | Sherwood Blu-ray player BDP-5004 | Technics SGC-770 5.1 - 460W music system with Turntable| Nikon D5000 with 18-55 & 55-300mm | Sound-Blaster Audigy Platinum|htc wildfire S | over 250 vinyl's | AMD Athlon 1800 antique PC !!!

@WORK - Avid DS v11 on Dual Xeon E5649/ Intel S5520SC Board/ 48GB RAM/ 60GB x 2 Intel SSD/ Quadro 5000 / 8TB Storage 15000RPM drives on RAID 6/ Cinetal Broadcast monitor/
Aja Kona 3G IO card / Awaiting HP Dreamcolor Monitor

Last edited by terencefdes; 22-12-12 at 10:52 AM.
terencefdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-12   #14
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
I can see you !

macwin is Mysterious

Originally Posted by terencefdes View Post
7. PSU - The Seasonic X760W Modular is a fantastic PSU & the best out there
Crosair Psu Hx 750 W 80plus Gold Modular is comes with 7 year warranty its bit expensive around 9k but gives beefy performance like OC CPU + OC High power consuming gpus on sli and still headroom left for more .

Macwin
Old 22-12-12   #15
teh zeuS!
[E]onian

Originally Posted by macwin View Post
Crosair Psu Hx 750 W 80plus Gold Modular
Corsair HX 750 is GOLD ????? since when ??
Post New Thread  Reply