Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Buying Help > PC Buying Help
Register Forgot Password?

Old 08-12-13   #16
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
~404

Re: Need Advise/Inputs: Considering Buying HOME NAS

Originally Posted by malcolmcg View Post
is linux that easy that i can figure it out over google within a few hours or even days?
Yep.
roofrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-13   #17
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.

iFLAME is Mysterious

Originally Posted by malcolmcg View Post
is linux that easy that i can figure it out over google within a few hours or even days?
It is very much possible and I'll encourage you to do that. It's not that hard to run some Linux distros as the GUI nowadays are very intuitive and self-explaining. But the real fun begins when you start to learn its intrinsic nature! However, you should remember that with Linux comes a constant learning curve and being a community rather than a product it always helps if the willingness is there

If your data is mission critical and of commercial value then perhaps you should stick to windows for now!
iFLAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-13   #18
teh spamm[E]R!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
-

Rig Gallery

Free Radical is extemely Distinguished
Free Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely Distinguished

You can also buy something like a Pogo Plug or an Android dongle/stb and hook usb disk(s)/flash drives/memory cards to it and access it over wifi/lan/web servers as well. Way cheaper and more functional for home use than a NAS. You can run any kind of server application on such a setup, and use it not only as a torrent downloader, but as a full fledged xbmc htpc/media streamer/retro console emulator which only consumes a few watts of power.

Using a Minix Neo G4 for this and more.

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear x-rays, and I wanna, I wanna smell dark matter!
Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly, because I have to, I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting, spoken language. But I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me!
I'm a machine, and I could know much more, I could experience so much more, but I'm trapped in this absurd body!
And why?! Because my...creators thought that "God" wanted it that way.

Last edited by Free Radical; 19-12-13 at 01:19 AM.
Free Radical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-13   #19
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

malcolmcg is very Honorablemalcolmcg is very Honorable

have already bought a seagate go flex which will be running off a usb pen drive.
but am yet to get it configured & running as have been pretty busy due to peak season time
will also most probably get some kinda linux running on my internet surfing pc, just to play around with.
btw, which is a good one to install?
only use this pc for normal internet surfing & play music in 5.1. also need it to be easily configurable for sharing.
malcolmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply