Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Everything Under the Sun
Register Forgot Password?

Old 10-04-12   #1
Jeebus
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
forgiving your sins

My Macbook Pro Has Built in Turbine!

My Macbook Pro has built in Turbine!

A few months ago i bought a mac book pro, this notebook was to be used for one purpose only(browsing). After a week i realized it heats up like shit so i did not complaint but went ahead and bought a note book cooler, now in spite of this i get this fan noise like turbine most of the time. I called up apple thrice, the first time was when the notebook's charged went dead so i had to get a replacement, the other two times was for this heating and fan noise issue. The respected gent from support said i may have to re-install the OS and he ran tests on my hard drive and it ended right there.

I have a dell latitude, it is my work laptop and has 20x more software installed and i work on like 6 oracle tools at the same time but still it runs like a charm, i hardly ever notice if it has a fan inside or if it even gets warm.

Finally i am back to the same old feeling i get with every apple product i bought "why did i buy this over priced voodoo again!"

RajaPraveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12   #2
teh priesT!
[E]onian
[E]ddicted !

mohitgamer is highly Reputablemohitgamer is highly Reputablemohitgamer is highly Reputable
Re: My Macbook Pro Has Built in Turbine!

Originally Posted by RajaPraveen View Post
why did i buy this over priced voodoo
I have managed to keep a safe distance from Apple products successfully.

Laptops I bought: Dell, HP and again HP <-- See no Apple there !!?
Old 10-04-12   #3
iEvangelist
GET PEBBLE.

Rig Gallery

Ad1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply Great

I have 10's of friends with MBP's and none of them complain about overheating at all.

The culprit for the overheating might be Flash. Try disabling it and checking.
kauffmann likes this.
Misc : Playstation 3, Xbox 360, iPhone 5, Nexus 4, iPad (3rd gen) 32GB.
Ad1tya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12   #4
Lead Lead
Administrator
I havent set my status yet.

Rig Gallery

KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!
KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!

A scientific way to go about this is also there.

Open up Activity Monitor and see the CPU utilization when the so called 'Turbine' is on.
Flash (the binaries which are supplied by Adobe) is not Mac OS X friendly. For example, you can switch to HTML5 on YouTube and watch the videos without spending much CPU but the same videos will choke when played via Flash.

Your laptop has a 35W TDP CPU, and if any software is using a significant amount of CPU, the CPU will clock up to the max and also generate heat correspondingly.

I also have owned a set of Dell 'Lattitudes' (E6400 and E6410) and one (more expensive than my MBP) Sony Vaio Z. All of them also demonstrated their 'turbines' when I had CPU intensive tasks running on them. Having 6 Oracle tools means nothing if none of them are actively utilizing the CPU. Its like saying: 'Look, my MBP is not heating up and I have FCP, Xcode, Photoshop, etc. etc. etc. running.'

KiD0M4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12   #5
iEvangelist
GET PEBBLE.

Rig Gallery

Ad1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply Great

Originally Posted by KiD0M4N View Post
A scientific way to go about this is also there.

Open up Activity Monitor and see the CPU utilization when the so called 'Turbine' is on.
Flash (the binaries which are supplied by Adobe) is not Mac OS X friendly. For example, you can switch to HTML5 on YouTube and watch the videos without spending much CPU but the same videos will choke when played via Flash.

Your laptop has a 35W TDP CPU, and if any software is using a significant amount of CPU, the CPU will clock up to the max and also generate heat correspondingly.

I also have owned a set of Dell 'Lattitudes' and one (more expensive than my MBP) Sony Vaio Z. All of them also demonstrated their 'turbines' when I had CPU intensive tasks running on them.
Oh snap. Don't diss the Apple Hater bro! You might just get sued!
Old 10-04-12   #6
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
Puny human

dexbg is extremely Renowned
dexbg is extremely Renowneddexbg is extremely Renowned

I've used my friends MBP and it did tend get hot on the underside but never noticed any fan noise ..

This could be a problem with the fan or maybe the exhaust getting blocked.

"I was there .. till the end"
dexbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12   #7
Lead Lead
Administrator

Rig Gallery

KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!
idea Re: My Macbook Pro Has Built in Turbine!

Originally Posted by dexterboygenius View Post
I've used my friends MBP and it did tend get hot on the underside but never noticed any fan noise ..

This could be a problem with the fan or maybe the exhaust getting blocked.
Possibility too.

The laptop design has the vents behind the LCD flap. If you are using this on a mushy bed, the vents will get blocked. And the 'turbine' will need to work hard to push out the hot air.

@raja: If you wanted a laptop for browsing, maybe you should have looked at the MBA instead? My wife does a lot of browsing on it and I have never seen the underside heat up even one bit.... The MBP has a more powerful processor (2.4 Ghz+)... thus if you are running a program which is pushing the CPU utilization a lot, you will see the fan revving up to get rid of the extra heat generated. If it didn't, you would be creating a thread complaining about 'MBP too hot.'
Old 10-04-12   #8
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

Aragorn is extremely Renowned
Aragorn is extremely RenownedAragorn is extremely RenownedAragorn is extremely Renowned

lol ... switch to windows ..
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12   #9
Lead Lead
Administrator

Rig Gallery

idea Re: My Macbook Pro Has Built in Turbine!

Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
lol ... switch to windows ..

Windows never has any problems with overheating, low battery, etc.
Old 10-04-12   #10
iEvangelist
GET PEBBLE.

Rig Gallery

Originally Posted by KiD0M4N View Post

Windows never has any problems with overheating, low battery, etc.
Of course not.

Microsoft does nothing wrong. They are perfect. Perfect at everything. /sarcasm
JD666 and kauffmann like this.
Old 10-04-12   #11
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

Aragorn is extremely Renowned
Aragorn is extremely RenownedAragorn is extremely RenownedAragorn is extremely Renowned

^ you bet ...
Luciffer likes this.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12   #12
teh pandiT!
[E]onian
The Rep-whore!

Luciffer is simply GreatLuciffer is simply GreatLuciffer is simply GreatLuciffer is simply GreatLuciffer is simply GreatLuciffer is simply GreatLuciffer is simply GreatLuciffer is simply GreatLuciffer is simply GreatLuciffer is simply GreatLuciffer is simply Great

Originally Posted by Ad1tya View Post
Of course not.
Microsoft does nothing wrong. They are perfect. Perfect at everything. /sarcasm
Finally they understand *sniff* Eh @Aragorn?
I know.. it was hard for them to break their addiction to 'fruit'
But at long last they see the futility of comparing fruits to computers *sniff* Almost brings a tear to one's eyes

---------- Post added at 06:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 AM ----------

Can almost picture Ad1tya sharpening his knives LOL
Aragorn and ManISinJpr like this.
Hey baby, wanna come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo till I Google all over your Facebook?!
Luciffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12   #13
Jeebus
forgiving your sins

RajaPraveen is extemely Distinguished
RajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely Distinguished

Originally Posted by Ad1tya View Post
I have 10's of friends with MBP's and none of them complain about overheating at all.

The culprit for the overheating might be Flash. Try disabling it and checking.
If they have not spoken about over-heating issues then they probably don't complain about anything apple at all, i complained about this super heating issue in the first week to our forum member Stonedsurd and he suggested to disable flash, but that did not resolve the issue so i bought a notebook cooler.

The problem is the vent behind the keyboard layout which gets blocked by the LCD flap, this IMO is a design none should follow, side vents are much better. The vent gets constantly blocked depending the angle you keep the LCD display.This issue may not be that serious in countries where ambient weather is cold but i guess it wont work in India.

Regarding all the lovely technical advice's, you guys think i did not search about this issue and try "SMC reset" and what not, i did everything and i looks like i am not alone, there are a lot of people with 2011 MBP heating up issues.

I use this MBP strictly for browsing only, i wanted to buy a tablet but changed my mind after seeing the MBA, read about a lot of heating issues with MBA in the internet so changed the plans and bought the MBP(thinking the bigger form factor will reduce the heating issue).

I use my dell properly and i can only make out it has a fan once in a while when the CPU utilization is above 80%(its always constantly hovering around 50%), but it never heated up to the extend of feeling discomfort while typing like the MPB.

In my video i have only the camera app opened up along with aircel 3g connection manager, i don't care if the MBP uses 100% CPU for running two apps, i bought this for out of the box hassle free use and am not getting it with this notebook.I am really not liking OSX lion but i can live with that, this heating issue does really bother me specially after spending some 90k on this thing.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

MacBook Air 2011 Heat and Fan Noise Issues SOLVED | Mac Crazy

macbook pro heat problem - YouTube.
RajaPraveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12   #14
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Life no so Jingalala! lol!

Pernicious is very Notable

I also own a MBP, and I can use it for hours at a stretch, with charging on too...Never heard the sound of fan "touch wood" Only once I heard the TURBINE sound was when I inserted a CD. that was the sound of rotating the disc What I do is that I keep the Mbp on it's sleeve while using it on bed(which I mostly do) so as to keep the vents above the vents.
Pernicious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12   #15
iEvangelist
GET PEBBLE.

Rig Gallery

I think ever since the original Intel Macbook, I haven't seen an MBP overheating.

I haven't a friend with a Core i5 MBP though. Maybe thats why.

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

Originally Posted by Luciffer View Post
Finally they understand *sniff* Eh @Aragorn?
I know.. it was hard for them to break their addiction to 'fruit'
But at long last they see the futility of comparing fruits to computers *sniff* Almost brings a tear to one's eyes

---------- Post added at 06:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 AM ----------

Can almost picture Ad1tya sharpening his knives LOL
Try CTRL+A on my post.
Post New Thread  Reply