Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Storage Solutions
Register Forgot Password?

Old 07-12-13   #1
teh priesT!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Exclamation Is My Brand New Purchased Samsung 840EVO 120gb SSD DEFECTIVE?

Is my Brand New Purchased Samsung 840EVO 120gb SSD DEFECTIVE?

Brought a Samsung 840EVO 120gb SSD a fortnight ago.

Found the S.M.A.R.T attributes from Samsung Magician software that the "CURRENT VALUE" for both "Power-on Hours" & "Power-on Count" & also of "Total LBAs Written" are "99" from the Very start /Day 1 after installing the Samsung Magician program,after doing a CLEAN install of Windows 7 Ultimate on it.(took proper precautions for SSD install). Also the "RAW DATA" has been steadily increasing with my marginal use of the SSD /whatever little work i have done on my pc since then .

Now i'm asking what's wrong with my Brand New SSD which i bought with lot of expectation & trust on durability? Though the drive per say is apparently working normal (look at the screenshots)..but i fear that,after reading the SMART attributes in particular,..my SSD Is soon going to fail & end up dead in my dump !

Can anybody Help to explain my situation, ! I need a confirmation of what went wrong with my Brand New SAMSUNG SSD & Why?
Or, Are all my fears unfounded & everything is NORMAL as it should be?
#This is my first experience with any SSD!

*My system Specs:
AMD FX8350
ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0
ASUS RADEON HD 78502GB
CORSAIR VENGEANCE 8GB (4GBX2) DD3 1600 FSB RAM
SEASONIC M12II 850W MODULAR PSU
CM STORM SCOUT2 CASE
O.S- Windows7 64 Ultimate .

SSD is currently setup with latest AMD AHCI drivers & the SMART attributes doesn't differ any with the default MS windows7 AHCI drivers
& TRIM is confirmed enabled ! The O.S on SSD is optimised for Maximum Reliability & the Firmware of the SSD is confirmed to be the latest one !

*Screenshots of the SMART attributes,etc of my Brand New Samsung 840EVO 120gb SSD(from Samsung Magician software) is posted here as below:

Any experts Please do help in providing a correct appraisal of the situation & what & how it needs to be resolved (if anything at all) ...so as to ensure maximum reliability of the SSD & its toublefree operation,... ASAP !

Thanks a Lot in Advance to the Helpies ! Please put in your kind inputs ASAP !

Last edited by Techie#1; 07-12-13 at 05:26 AM.
Techie#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13   #2
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble
Re: Is My Brand New Purchased Samsung 840EVO 120gb SSD DEFECTIVE?

IMO. everything is fine !!
just carry on.

I don't use a ssd so I am at a little loss of suggestions but I would tag other members here so they can give their views.
Techie#1 likes this.

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13   #3
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

malcolmcg is very Honorablemalcolmcg is very Honorable

dont have the same ssd, but do hav a corsair ssd. was surprised to see some crazy high temp at first. but then found after some googlin that it didnt have the temp sensor. dont think those screens have anything to worry about, but you could make completely sure with anyone who owns the same ssd as yours.
Techie#1 likes this.
malcolmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13   #4
teh priesT!
[E]onian

Techie#1 is highly AdmirableTechie#1 is highly AdmirableTechie#1 is highly AdmirableTechie#1 is highly AdmirableTechie#1 is highly AdmirableTechie#1 is highly Admirable

Thanks a lot for the replies!
Yes, I need more replies for confirming my ssd condition, so Samsung SSD owners here please help.. particular if anyone of you own & work with a 840 Evo series SSD.
I have already messaged Samsung about this but yet to get a reply!

Old 09-12-13   #5
teh priesT!
[E]onian
iPwn

nish_higher is highly Admirablenish_higher is highly Admirablenish_higher is highly Admirablenish_higher is highly Admirablenish_higher is highly Admirablenish_higher is highly Admirablenish_higher is highly Admirable

i have the same drive but do not use for OS and don't have this software installed. Personally i'd never trust this Samsung program. you could try some other software like SSD life or this
Software - Crystal Dew World

on another note - i think the drive is just fine.
Techie#1, ManISinJpr and trew like this.
Old 09-12-13   #6
teh priesT!
[E]onian

Techie#1 is highly AdmirableTechie#1 is highly AdmirableTechie#1 is highly AdmirableTechie#1 is highly AdmirableTechie#1 is highly AdmirableTechie#1 is highly Admirable

Thanks friend for the reply & being a Samsung SSD owner which might just help me !
so, if you can just help me here....can you just anyhow able to install O.S (Win 7/8) to your Disk & install the Samsung Magician Program to it,...just to check what SMART readings it comes up with !
I think i already ran Crystal Disk ,maybe i missed or overlooked the Smart readings there as i stressed more on the default Samsung SSD maintenance program -Samsung Magician program for appropriateness !
So let me check & in the meanwhile if you can just update me with the SMART readings from your Samsung 840Evo 120Gb SSD ,particularly from the Samsung Magician Program...it would be just great !
& i'm only asking this,..if it is at all possible for you to do so !
Thanks !!!
Old 11-12-13   #7
teh priesT!
[E]onian
iPwn

nish_higher is highly Admirablenish_higher is highly Admirablenish_higher is highly Admirablenish_higher is highly Admirablenish_higher is highly Admirablenish_higher is highly Admirablenish_higher is highly Admirable

ah sorry mate i can't do that. my SSD's just store the software i purchase and they are huge. it would be a hell lot of mess to move them to another drive and reconfigure and all
nish_higher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-13   #8
teh priesT!
[E]onian

topgear is Notable

Everything is just fine and read this page for better understanding and more deatils
AnandTech | Samsung SSD 840 EVO Review: 120GB, 250GB, 500GB, 750GB & 1TB Models Tested
Techie#1 and roadrippersid like this.
Old 12-12-13   #9
teh priesT!
[E]onian

yes, i am also thinking my SSD is after all just fine!
coincidently,i also happen to find this same article yesterday with where the Smart values very similar to mine !
Anyway, thanks for sharing !
ManISinJpr likes this.
Post New Thread  Reply