Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Interesting News on the Web
Register Forgot Password?

Old 11-09-07   #1
teh priesT!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Mumbai to Install Keyloggers on Cafe PCs

The Indian city of Mumbai hopes to fight terrorism by installing keyloggers

All Internet cafes in the Indian city of Mumbai will have police-sanctioned key-logger software installed on their machines to help combat terrorism. With a population of 13 million residents, cafe owners only in the city of Mumbai will be forced to install the software.
All cafe owners will be forced to register and receive a city license from police headquarters, reveal the number of PCs located in the location and Internet protocol (IP) addresses for all of the PCs. Any cafe owners who do not register can be fined, with harsher punishments possible.
The announcement follows bombings in Hyderabad and Mumbai that were reportedly organized in Internet cafes.
"The police needs to install programs that will capture every key stroke at regular interval screen shots, which will be sent back to a server that will log all the data," said Vijay Mukhi, India Foundation for Information Security and Technology president. "The police can then keep track of all communication between terrorists no matter which part of the world they operate from. This is the only way to patrol the net and this is how the police informer is going to look in the e-age," he added.

Privacy experts and bloggers around the world point out different methods criminals can use to remain anonymous. A CNET blog indicates the use of proxy servers and Tor could be two potentially popular methods to get around the keyloggers.

City of Mumbai to Install Keyloggers on Cafe PCs
Gagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-07   #2
iEvangelist
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
GET PEBBLE.

Rig Gallery

Ad1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply Great
Re: Mumbai to Install Keyloggers on Cafe PCs

This means that any1 can get any1's passwords now..

GREAT Move!! w00t!

Thankfully, I dont use Cafe's... Atleast not for Internet usage...
Misc : Playstation 3, Xbox 360, iPhone 5, Nexus 4, iPad (3rd gen) 32GB.
Ad1tya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-07   #3
teh priesT!
[E]onian

TheIndian is highly AdmirableTheIndian is highly AdmirableTheIndian is highly AdmirableTheIndian is highly AdmirableTheIndian is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by Gagan View Post
Privacy experts and bloggers around the world point out different methods criminals can use to remain anonymous. A CNET blog indicates the use of proxy servers and Tor could be two potentially popular methods to get around the keyloggers.
Another way is just stand below any commerical building with your wifi enabled - you should be in business - you will be amazed how many open gateways are out there.
Old 12-09-07   #4
iEvangelist
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
GET PEBBLE.

Rig Gallery

Ad1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply Great

^^ There are 4 Wifi Connections around my place, that I can connect to.. Lol, and its a Residential area here. ...
Ad1tya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-07   #5
teh priesT!
[E]onian

TheIndian is highly AdmirableTheIndian is highly AdmirableTheIndian is highly AdmirableTheIndian is highly AdmirableTheIndian is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by Ad1tya View Post
^^ There are 4 Wifi Connections around my place, that I can connect to.. Lol, and its a Residential area here. ...
Ah you live in the Rich mans land

I think entire south Mumbai should be counted as a "hot spot"
TheIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-07   #6
Lead Lead
Administrator
12 years a admin!

Rig Gallery

KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!
KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!

Originally Posted by TheIndian View Post
Ah you live in the Rich mans land

I think entire south Mumbai should be counted as a "hot spot"
That includes bandra right?

KiD0M4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-07   #7
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

imoen is highly Admirableimoen is highly Admirableimoen is highly Admirableimoen is highly Admirableimoen is highly Admirable

What's the point of announcing these initiatives?? If real "terrorists" want to do something they'll simply stay away from cybercafes. I sense something else is the real motive behind this..
imoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-07   #8
teh priesT!
[E]onian

Originally Posted by imoen View Post
What's the point of announcing these initiatives?? If real "terrorists" want to do something they'll simply stay away from cybercafes. I sense something else is the real motive behind this..
(A) Its called "saving face"

(B )- I have personally seen cops trying to shakedown a cyber cafe owner over the rule of maintaining a list of users, even though he is sticking to the rules totally. Even when family uses his machines, he makes an entry in his register - "personal use".

Now they have one more reason for shaking down.
Old 12-09-07   #9
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

imoen is highly Admirableimoen is highly Admirableimoen is highly Admirableimoen is highly Admirableimoen is highly Admirable

^^ *Sigh*... Another fruitless exercise by the Mumbai Police Force. But i know they have the cafe owners on edge. Last time i went to mumbai went to a cybercafe near Bank St and they insisted on some kind of i-card.. had to apologize and quietly walk out.
imoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-07   #10
teh priesT!
[E]onian

Originally Posted by imoen View Post
^^ *Sigh*... Another fruitless exercise by the Mumbai Police Force. But i know they have the cafe owners on edge. Last time i went to mumbai went to a cybercafe near Bank St and they insisted on some kind of i-card.. had to apologize and quietly walk out.
Its the Rule, the cafe owners have to maintain a register of who used which machine, and they have to verify with an I card, its STUPIDITY.

Even children are turned away, like the baddies dont have any fakes ..
Old 12-09-07   #11
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
my status is single!!

Virus.exe is Notable

What the hell? Pathetic Policing!! Trying to catch terrorist at the expense of people's privacy? I mean, what the hell are they thinking? keyloggers? Some illegal software used by cops? I haven't heard of a legal keylogger ever in my life!! If this was happening in developed countries, then the police would have got it on their face, but alas, this is india where cops take off your monitor but amazingly leave behind the CPU as a method of confistication!! This shows the amount of knowledge, not technical knowledge, the amount of knowledge our lawmakers and cops have! SAD!

Virus.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-07   #12
teh nuB!
[E]onian

skada is very Notable

its quite stupid .. though i dont thing it will come into practice looking at our fast and efficient bureaucracy in which i have complete faith ...