Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Articles > Reviews & Previews
Register Forgot Password?
Follow Erodov on Twitter Follow Us
Join us on FaceBook Join Us
Post New Article  Comment

Article Tools Search this Article
MSI GTX 580 lightning Review
Date: 18-07-11
Topic: Reviews & Previews
Author: Nishant

Pros:
-Pricing as compared to other 580s -Superb overclocking potential -Twin Frozr III cooler -Accessories -Good connectivity options -Dual BIOS -Extreme OC dip switches -Triple over voltage -Lower power consumption than reference 580

Cons:
-Noisy at 100% fan speeds
Index
Unboxing and overclocking 
Index

Last year, AMD and Nvidia both had released their new and very much anticipated dx11 cards. Nvidia had claimed that they had the best single core card on the market -the GTX 480- which was true in terms of raw performance, but it also had a lot of limitations. People preferred the Radeon HD5870 over the GTX 480 as the 5870,though lagging in performance, was much cooler, quieter and consumed lesser electricity. Also it was priced very well. The reason for these short comings in the card was that Nvidia had not optimized the GF100 core to its full potential. In Q4 2010, Nvidia released cards based on the new GF110 architecture which was much more efficient than its predecessor. Two new cards namely the GTX580 and the GTX570 were released. First to come out was the much anticipated GTX580 in which they adopted a vapor chamber style of cooling to control the excess heat and also lowered the fan noise. Electricity consumption was also lesser than the GTX480.The performance of the card had increased multiple-fold. The card performed 32% better than the GTX480. The card was a super success as soon as it hit the market shelves.

MSI is known for making one of the best graphics cooling solutions in the market. Their “Twin Frozr” coolers have been a big success. At CES 2011, they introduced two very unique cards, the GTX580 Lightning and the Radeon HD6970 Lightning. For the first time, they introduced the Twin Frozr III coolers on these cards. These cards had non-reference PCBs made of higher quality components which MSI call their Military class II components. Today we take a look at one of these cards, the GTX 580 Lightning.

Index
Unboxing and overclocking 

Tools
Add to coolgame's Karma
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
<< <    Next Page: Unboxing and overclocking (Page 1 of 7)    >  >>
By mrcool63 29-07-11
Re: MSI GTX 580 lightning Review

awesome dude
By Xeo 29-07-11

Why didn't you record ingame with the help of Fraps or something like that?
By BULLZI 29-07-11

Really nice article mate. It would have been even better if you have written the rsolution at which FPS are measured for various games.
By mav2000 29-07-11

Well done, next time try and add a few more benchmarks. There are lots that are free and easily available. Also a competing card for comparison would have been awesome.
By coolgame 29-07-11

thanks everyone for the support keep the reps commin!!!
@xeo:i did record in-game with fraps.how else do u think i got the benc
@BULLZI: sorry about that.but actually the videos do contain all the settings used for the games including the resolution i.e. 1920x1080
@mav2000:Actually this is the first time I have written a review.So i just picked up all the popular 3d benchmarks.Also i did run the card both at stock and overclocked for the 3d benches video and the gameplay videos were starting to get too long.also i would have liked to compare the lightning with atleast another card,but i only have a 9400gt(i will add the benches if thou likes ) but otherwise i m broke.say if u like to gift me another 580 lightning,i can also do SLI.so what say?
By MOZ 29-07-11

Nice review. As others have mentioned, post resolution and settings at which each game was tested and benchmarks run, display the use of CUDA, hardware acceleration and more benches.

It was good to see the videos, and @Xeo, it is good he used a camera, using FRAPS or any game recording software would have hindered the performance of the card in terms of game FPS and score.
By coolgame 29-07-11

@MOZ:what more benches would u like?
By MOZ 29-07-11

Furmark tessmark, aquamark, flash usage, video encoding, sandra, etc.

Don't be mad at me.
By Sumonpathak 29-07-11

a lot of effort has gone into this...but you should have checked out other reviews.....
neway....good review......
By coolgame 29-07-11

will keep in mind the next tym.thanks MOZ.i iz not mad at u.just wanted to know ur opinion

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

thanks for the info MOZ.i iz not mad at u.just would like ur suggestions
By wingzero 29-07-11

Geez give him some break. Good work coolgame. Repped ya
By coolgame 29-07-11

thanks
By MOZ 29-07-11

I did rep him too u know, great effort nonetheless.
By thebanik 09-08-11

Finally got around to reading the review, coolgame, like others I would suggest you to add the resolution at which the games were tested. If you have the data, just report the first post and Put in the data, and one of the article moderators would update the article for you. Similarly in the overclocking section, do mention the game and resolution from which you are reporting the bump in FPS. Adding videos is a very good thing, which we all should start doing.
All in all a decent first attempt, just that these very small things are stopping to make it a complete article, :d. Rep added.
Post New Article  Comment
Please share with friends!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search