Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Upgraditis
Register Forgot Password?

Old 16-04-12   #1
En Taro Adun
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Blank

MSI Force 1761 + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

So.. after two horrible months with the Chomebook running Ubuntu, XoticPC finally delivered the laptop I ordered on the past Thursday.

The wait has been well worth it.. and I highly recommend XoticPC for anyone looking to buy a Windows laptop, whether it's a desktop replacement or not.

This time, I decided on the MSI 1761, a Barebones Whitebook that MSI sells to resellers like XoticPC and GenTech PC, who then build it according to the desired spec, test it and send it out. As you can see in the pictures below, there is no branding anywhere on the laptop, nothing at all that says who is the manufacturer. My previous laptop went well out of its way to stand out, with its flashy design and blue lights, but this is the exact opposite. And I must say, I prefer the simple understated and classy look.

Anyways, more after the following pictures! (Some have been shot with the phone, some with the SX20IS)

The full size original images can be found at this album - MSI Force 1761 - Imgur

The free wireless mouse.. it's still in its packaging. I might make use of it one day, but not now.

The interiors! There is only one fan for both the CPU and the GPU, but it's a powerful fan, and gets the job done. The highest I've seen the temperatures reach is around 75C, which is superb IMO. CPU, max 57C.. I haven't recorded it extensively though.

The massive 180W power brick. I put the GN next to it for size comparisons. Make no mistake, it is HUGE.

No branding whatsoever, ANYWHERE!

The build quality is surprisingly, extremely good, all around the laptop. I think it's brushed plastic, but it has a premium feel to it, like a brushed aluminum feel. It curves in around the keyboard as you can see in the pictures, which looks pretty nice, and keeps the keyboard level with the rest of the surface. I really like how the ports are somewhat shielded by the design, it's a bit inside instead of being directly on the side, as you can see in the pictures. The power button is firm, and the soft capacitive buttons work well, no complains there.

I haven't tested the speakers, but they sound pretty loud, and there is a subwoofer underneath as well. It's the result of a partnership between MSI and Dynaudio, apparently. Will fire up a few movies and songs, and let y'all know how they sound.

The SteelSeries keyboard that XoticPC has installed in place of the stock keyboard is fantastic, I think it rivals the MacBook's keyboard as well. It's firm but easy to press, and it's much better than the keyboard on the ASUS G51. I have to get used to the layout again though, after getting used to the Chromebook's slightly different layout. I keep pressing the CAPS lock button thinking it's the search button.. And then there's the colors, and the variety of styles. As you can see above, there's the Wave, Breathing,

Now, on to the SSD. Simply jaw dropping. The performance difference is so noticeable; the install, the bootup, launch of the apps, loading time in games, everything has improved drastically. IMO, 256GB is the optimum amount for one OS, 64GB for the OS install partition, and the remaining space, 175GB or for the applications and games. Mainly games, I guess. I've moved my library of documents and pictures to another drive altogether, and obviously music and movies have their own respective folders. Oh, thank you so much @KiD0M4N for convincing me to get a SSD. I regret not listening to you earlier.

The screen is another aspect which I was pleasantly surprised by. I've gotten used to the sub par display of the ASUS ever since I switched to a laptop 2 and half years ago, and I didn't expect the MSI to be much better. Fortunately, I was in for a surprise. I will post comparison pictures later, but I feel the MSI display comes decently close to the quality of my cousin's MBP display. Which is extremely good, considering the 15.4" MBP display is glossy, thus will have better colors. The earlier shitty glossy display of the ASUS G51 doesn't stand a chance. Here, I have to thank @Ad1tya, @Rohan and @KiD0M4N (mainly Aditya) for convincing me to go Matte, no reflections at all is such a boon! Oh, and 17.3" of 1080p goodness!

Fire any questions/requests you have, I'll do my best to answer/fulfill.

Specs :-
17.3" 1080p Matte TN Display
Intel i7-2670qm, 2.2Ghz, Turbo boost till 3.1Ghz
8GB DDR3 1333Mhz, 2 sticks of 4GB.
NVIDIA GTX580M
Samsung 830 SSD 256GB + Seagate 500GB 7200rpm + WD 500GB 7200rpm
Bigfoot Networks Killer N-1102
Steelseries Backlit Keyboard (part of laptop, replaces stock)
Steelseries Ikari Optical + QcK Heavy

And all the other usual stuff, 5 USB ports (2 USB 3.0), LAN, HDMI, eSATA, VGA, Memory Cards, 4 audio ports, blah blah.

Since it's a whitebook, no OS is loaded (thank god! No bloatware! ) and no bling bling either.

Total damages - $1740 to XoticPC, and $310 to Amazon for the SSD.

Oh, and I completely forgot to mention the custom Wi-Fi chip! It actually makes a big difference, guess the guys at the NBR forums were not exaggerating. Previously I would get pings of 20-30 on WiFi, which has now dropped down to 10-15. Ping to the closest LA Speedtest server is 5, used to be around 15. And the download speeds is touching 2 MB/s, 1.4-1.5 average, the old ASUS would not go beyond 1.2MB/s. Also, signal strength is MUCH higher. Definitely worth spending on the better Wi-Fi chip.
thebanik, Arun.P, JD666 and 3 others like this.

Galaxy Nexus | Samsung Series 5 Chromebook running Ubuntu!
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 32GB I/O Edition
My Twitter!
My Audio Gear(Past and Present)
CanJam 2010 Pictures!!
My Last.fm Page
[E]'s Twitter!
"We all got our choices to make." "Damn Shame."

Last edited by Superfrag; 16-04-12 at 08:01 AM.
Superfrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-12   #2
teh geeK!
[E]onian
gone.

Rohan is highly AdmirableRohan is highly AdmirableRohan is highly AdmirableRohan is highly AdmirableRohan is highly AdmirableRohan is highly AdmirableRohan is highly Admirable
Re: MSI Force 1761 + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

This is all so wonderful, awesome, and full of sex in each and every aspect... ! finally you got it!
Congrats and have fun with it
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-12   #3
Lead Lead
Administrator
12 years a admin!

Rig Gallery

KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!
KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!

Congratulations This machine should rock! And yep, the 256 GB is a sweet spot to act as a OS + Apps + Documents drive.
Movies, music etc can be kept on another drive to help with space.

So how is the gaming performance on this? The 580 must be quite nice.

KiD0M4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-12   #4
En Taro Adun
Blank

Superfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply Great

Originally Posted by KiD0M4N View Post
Congratulations This machine should rock! And yep, the 256 GB is a sweet spot to act as a OS + Apps + Documents drive.
Movies, music etc can be kept on another drive to help with space.

So how is the gaming performance on this? The 580 must be quite nice.
Gaming performance is top notch so far. Been playing Homefront, NFS Hot Pursuit, L.A Noire at 1080p high, running extremely smoothly. Will try the other games soon. Any particular game you have in mind for me to try?
Old 16-04-12   #5
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Rig Gallery

JD666 is highly ProminentJD666 is highly ProminentJD666 is highly Prominent

sweet.. thats some serious hardware.... wow! Congrats man...
JD666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-12   #6
En Taro Adun
Blank

Superfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply Great

Thanks!
Old 16-04-12   #7
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

A super upgrade, Congratulations to you Super !!
amazing performance from a laptop, lowest score of 7.5 is jaw dropping.

you said the screen is matte but is it IPS?? and 1080P is just so welcome.
the ssd does make the deal a little more sweet and performance to a level surpassing that of conventional desktops !

Enjoy your beast !!

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-12   #8
En Taro Adun
Blank

Originally Posted by ManISinJpr ♦ View Post
A super upgrade, Congratulations to you Super !!
amazing performance from a laptop, lowest score of 7.5 is jaw dropping.

you said the screen is matte but is it IPS?? and 1080P is just so welcome.
the ssd does make the deal a little more sweet and performance to a level surpassing that of conventional desktops !

Enjoy your beast !!
Unfortunately, 15.6" or 17.3" IPS panels for the laptop are incredibly hard to find. It's still the good old TN panel. Maybe in 2-3 years we might have IPS panels, or AMOLED panels!

Forgot to put up the specs in the OP, doing so now.
Old 16-04-12   #9
iEvangelist
GET PEBBLE.

Rig Gallery

Ad1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply Great

Congratulation!
Misc : Playstation 3, Xbox 360, iPhone 5, Nexus 4, iPad (3rd gen) 32GB.
Ad1tya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-12   #10
Xeo
Th[E] Troll
Papa Donger

Xeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply Great

BeeYeff3 BeeYeff3!
Congratulations!
How do you solve the recurring double clicking issue all Ikaris seem to have?
GTX580 Twin Frozr II
Silent Pro M700
Tempest 410 Elite
Xeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-12   #11
teh nuB!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Rig Gallery

kurtcocaine is highly Prominentkurtcocaine is highly Prominentkurtcocaine is highly Prominent

Awesome purchase. Love to see anyone buying a gaming notebook...
-Corsair Vengeance 1500
-CM Storm SF-19 Cooler
kurtcocaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-12   #12
En Taro Adun
Blank

Originally Posted by Xeo View Post
BeeYeff3 BeeYeff3!
Congratulations!
How do you solve the recurring double clicking issue all Ikaris seem to have?
Simple. I don't have the said problem.

I've had the problem twice in the past, both the times I've got the mouse replaced. SteelSeries seems to be well aware of the problem, they replace it without any hassles.

---------- Post added at 11:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

Originally Posted by kurtcocaine View Post
Awesome purchase. Love to see anyone buying a gaming notebook...
Indeed! But I would be lying if I said that I don't miss having a desktop.
Old 17-04-12   #13
MOZ
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
That's Me!

Rig Gallery

MOZ is highly ProminentMOZ is highly ProminentMOZ is highly Prominent

Awesome!
MOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-12   #14
teh priesT!
[E]onian
[E]ddicted !

mohitgamer is highly Reputablemohitgamer is highly Reputablemohitgamer is highly Reputable

Congrats Mate...That's some Heavy Config you got there !!
Old 17-04-12   #15
Jeebus
forgiving your sins

RajaPraveen is extemely Distinguished
RajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely Distinguished

Congrats! Looks bloody good

RajaPraveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply