Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Core Components
Register Forgot Password?

Old 06-03-09   #1
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
Why So Serious?

A motherboard that supports the old Pin-Type Processors? (Edited)

The current generation processors are pin-less, right? Two years back, we had processors with pins in them. A friend of mine who has very little budget wants to upgrade his old P III. He is thinking about changing just the motherboard & RAM. But the shop where I usually buy my components said that the processor must be the old type with pins & none of the current motherboards with DDR2 RAM & PCI-E graphic card slot will support that processor. Is that 100% accurate? What about Asus P5S MX-SE? He said this model is hard to come by right now, but it is available in ebay. His budge is 4k, to be exact. Any suggestions? I also need more info on which boards support this old pin-type processors.

Edit: The information is wrong. Look at post #5

Last edited by Gdn | TD; 07-03-09 at 10:34 AM.
Gdn | TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09   #2
teh geeK!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

prajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famed
Re: A motherboard that supports the old Pin-Type Processors?

yes that is 100% accurate, none of the MB's with PCI-Express have support for a P3 processor.
and if your friend is ready to spend upto 4K, just get the ATOM 1.6 GHz + Motherboard at around Rs 3500.

It will give much better performance than a P3.

---------------------------------------------------------
Home : Core i5 3470, Z77, 4x4 GB Corsair Vengeance, Corsair 400R
Travel & Work : Dell Latitude E6320

prajith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09   #3
Lead Lead
Administrator
12 years a admin!

Rig Gallery

KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!
KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!

How would changing the motherboard count as an upgrade? Find a faster P3 to plug in there or buy a chepo cpu+mobo combo?

KiD0M4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09   #4
teh spamm[E]R!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r

Rig Gallery

wingzero is extremely Renowned
wingzero is extremely Renownedwingzero is extremely Renownedwingzero is extremely Renownedwingzero is extremely Renownedwingzero is extremely Renowned

sell current cpu and rams
for 5k u can get good x2 4600+690g board and 2gb ram

Guides n Reviews :

Last edited by wingzero; 07-03-09 at 01:02 AM.
wingzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09   #5
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
Why So Serious?

Gdn | TD is highly AdmirableGdn | TD is highly AdmirableGdn | TD is highly AdmirableGdn | TD is highly AdmirableGdn | TD is highly AdmirableGdn | TD is highly AdmirableGdn | TD is highly Admirable

Er.. sorry, my bad. He has a Pentium IV processor and his motherboard is MSI 915GLM-V. It has a PCI-E x1 slot. So, is it better to change the board or get a graphic card? Are PCI-E x1 & PCI-E x16 compatible with each other? What is the best thing to do to improve this for gaming with a budget of around 4k to 6k?

Last edited by Gdn | TD; 07-03-09 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-03-09   #6
teh spamm[E]R!

Rig Gallery

wingzero is extremely Renownedwingzero is extremely Renownedwingzero is extremely Renownedwingzero is extremely Renownedwingzero is extremely Renowned

no gpu upgrade recommended on a p4. u wont be able to enjoy latest games.
sell the 915 + p4 + ddr1 rams...for 2k-2.5k.
Total 8.5k in hand so get a ga31-s2l for 2.2k + e5200 3.5k + 2gb ram 1k.
Use onboard graphics till your friend accumulates enough for his gaming needs choices are 4670 512mb gddr3 for 5.5k odd, palit 4850 8.2k odd.
Though for the 4850 he wud need an smps change aswell.
Old 07-03-09   #7
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
Why So Serious?

Gdn | TD is highly AdmirableGdn | TD is highly AdmirableGdn | TD is highly AdmirableGdn | TD is highly AdmirableGdn | TD is highly AdmirableGdn | TD is highly AdmirableGdn | TD is highly Admirable

Ok. Selling it for 2k will the tough part, I guess. Any suggestions on that? 0_o
Old 07-03-09   #8
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Living life king size

Jinu is highly AdmirableJinu is highly AdmirableJinu is highly AdmirableJinu is highly AdmirableJinu is highly AdmirableJinu is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by Gdn | TD View Post
Er.. sorry, my bad. He has a Pentium IV processor and his motherboard is MSI 915GLM-V. It has a PCI-E x1 slot. So, is it better to change the board or get a graphic card? Are PCI-E x1 & PCI-E x16 compatible with each other? What is the best thing to do to improve this for gaming with a budget of around 4k to 6k?
Technically yes they are compatible.. look at the config mentioned in my signature and you will understand.. but believe me.. that is a very dumb thing to do.. Like somebody said, it would be like putting a ferrari engine into a premier padmini taxi.

I am ugrading to a i7 so this is only a stop gap arrangement.
Jinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09   #9
teh spamm[E]R!

Rig Gallery

Originally Posted by Gdn | TD View Post
Ok. Selling it for 2k will the tough part, I guess. Any suggestions on that? 0_o
details on board, rams and proccy....i guess u shud get 2k for 1gb + 915 + p4
Old 09-03-09   #10
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Blogging & Internt Marketi

roadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirable

Want my board 915 mef 6 has both agp and pci express 16 slots..and 512mb ddr ram (1.3+500)+ shipping
Old 09-03-09   #11
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
Why So Serious?

Originally Posted by roadrippersid View Post
Want my board 915 mef 6 has both agp and pci express 16 slots..and 512mb ddr ram (1.3+500)+ shipping
I've mailed him your offer. Will let you know if he is interested..
Post New Thread  Reply