Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Software Zone > Networking and Security
Register Forgot Password?

Old 14-05-12   #1
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Icon4 Most Powerful, Long Range Wireless Router or Router Cum Modem for Airtel/Bsnl ?

As the title says, I am looking for a no-nonsense wifi powerful long range router or modem cum router for Airtel / Bsnl DSL connections?

Thanks.
Old 14-05-12   #2
teh nuB!

bobbyprajan is Mysterious
Re: Most Powerful, Long Range Wireless Router or Router Cum Modem for Airtel/Bsnl ?

Netgear WNDR 3500 / 3700 / 4500, Asus RT-N16 / N56U, Linksys E3200 / E4200 / X2000 / X4000 . Prices range from 6K to 12K. Pick one according to your budget and also required features like simultaneous dual-band, built-in ADSL etc.
bobbyprajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-12   #3
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

MAVERICK is very Notable
Re: Most Powerful, Long Range Wireless Router or Router Cum Modem for Airtel/Bsnl ?

Originally Posted by bobbyprajan View Post
Netgear WNDR 3500 / 3700 / 4500, Asus RT-N16 / N56U, Linksys E3200 / E4200 / X2000 / X4000 . Prices range from 6K to 12K. Pick one according to your budget and also required features like simultaneous dual-band, built-in ADSL etc.
Budget would be around 6-7K. And what is simultaneous dual band ? And built in ADSL means built in modem? Can you shortlist some model for me? I am a noob to all this.
MAVERICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-12   #4
teh nuB!

Originally Posted by MAVERICK View Post
Budget would be around 6-7K. And what is simultaneous dual band ? And built in ADSL means built in modem? Can you shortlist some model for me? I am a noob to all this.
A dual band router operates in 2 bands, the usual 2.4 Ghz and the 5 Ghz band. There is less interference in the 5 Ghz band hence it gives very good speeds compared to a single band only router. Simultaneous dual band routers can do both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz at the same time. With a budget above 5K you should go for a router which can do 5 Ghz. It is upto you whether to buy a router with integrated modem.

Netgear WNDR3700 - Dual band - No modem - 6.5K
Netgear WNDR4000 - Dual band - No modem - 8.5K
Netgear DGND3700 - Dual band - With modem - 9.5K

Asus RT-N56U - Dual band - No modem - 8.5k

Linksys E3200 - Dual band - No modem - 8.5K

All of these are quite powerful routers. If you can compromise on USB performance, the TP-Link 1043ND is a decent router at just 4K. However it does not have the build quality as of the routers listed above. Hope that helps.
MAVERICK likes this.
Old 15-05-12   #5
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

MAVERICK is very Notable

Originally Posted by bobbyprajan View Post
A dual band router operates in 2 bands, the usual 2.4 Ghz and the 5 Ghz band. There is less interference in the 5 Ghz band hence it gives very good speeds compared to a single band only router. Simultaneous dual band routers can do both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz at the same time. With a budget above 5K you should go for a router which can do 5 Ghz. It is upto you whether to buy a router with integrated modem.

Netgear WNDR3700 - Dual band - No modem - 6.5K
Netgear WNDR4000 - Dual band - No modem - 8.5K
Netgear DGND3700 - Dual band - With modem - 9.5K

Asus RT-N56U - Dual band - No modem - 8.5k

Linksys E3200 - Dual band - No modem - 8.5K

All of these are quite powerful routers. If you can compromise on USB performance, the TP-Link 1043ND is a decent router at just 4K. However it does not have the build quality as of the routers listed above. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the detailed reply. Can you elaborate on the USB performance? Why will I need the same as such? I plan to use the router/modem only for accessing internet at my place and want a good range. I will also be gaming online and want good pings. Nothing else.
MAVERICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-12   #6
teh nuB!

Originally Posted by MAVERICK View Post
Thanks for the detailed reply. Can you elaborate on the USB performance? Why will I need the same as such? I plan to use the router/modem only for accessing internet at my place and want a good range. I will also be gaming online and want good pings. Nothing else.
The TP-Link 1043ND has a USB port, to which you can connect a portable drive and share it in your local network. The USB performance compared to other routers is poor. The 1043ND is single band only router but it has got 3x3 TR antennae and a 20db radio power. That is supposed to give it an edge in transfer speeds and range. I do not have first hand experience on this router, so please do some reading before buying it.

What I recommend for your purpose will be the Asus RT-N56U or the Netgear WNDR3700 (+ modem). Both of them has beefy cpu's and qos settings for good gaming performance.
Old 19-05-12   #7
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
This user has no status.

Edrill is highly ReputableEdrill is highly ReputableEdrill is highly ReputableEdrill is highly Reputable

Can't really say much about the Netgear never having used it or anything, but the Asus RT-N56U is a pretty good and stable unit. The Linksys E3200, E3000 (if you can find it) and the E4200 are great too. I've used the E3000 and the E4200 extensively, and am perfectly happy with their performance. The modem/router combos do not typically give you the same performance levels as a separate router. At least, none that I've used have done so. Since you're only looking at wireless range and stable connectivity for your games, I'd suggest the Linksys E3000/E3200/E4200 or the Asus RT-N56U. The E3000 is now EOL and may not be as easy to find as the others. Don't know much about the TP-Link router so can't comment on that.
MAVERICK likes this.
Edrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply