Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Electronics and Consumer Durables > Mobile Phones
Register Forgot Password?

Old 01-03-13   #1
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery
Icon8 Mobile Phones Prices Set to Increase in India

Finance Minister P. Chidamabaram on Thursday announced that excise duty on mobile phones priced above Rs. 2,000 will be hiked from 1% to 6%. However because of the percentage system that retailers work on the price increase for retail customers will be about 10-12 percent. Thus a phone costing Rs 5000 today will soon cost about Rs 5500 and a Rs 10,000 smartphone will cost Rs 11,000.

The governments position seems to be that phones costing above Rs 2000 are luxury items and not used by the common man. What the government fails to realise is that todays smartphones are more like computers and these devices help to empower a lot of people who dont have access to desktop or laptop computers all the time. Smartphones are no longer used just for voice calls and text messages. They give people access to the internet and increase their productivity which is beneficial to the economy. The governments aim should be to make smartphones more accessible to all but instead it has chosen to take these regressive steps which will only hurt the economy.

I think the broader problem is that most of our politicians and bureaucrats have little understanding of technology and how this can benefit the country. This is one of the main reasons we still dont have good, inexpensive 3G/4G in most of the country.
darylemmanuel likes this.
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13   #2
Neo[t]
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
SteelSeries SenSei <3

prateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply Great
Re: Mobile Phones Prices Set to Increase in India

Now they can charge upto 12% as customs duty , lucky if they charge 6% , ,Customs charges Basic Customs Duty and CounterVailing Customs Duty , earlier it was 1% and 1% each , now its 6% and 6% each , e.g. , Nexus4 is valued at 30000 , customs duty was 1% +1 % = 600 , now it is 6% +6% = 3600.

Earlier amount was so small u didnt notice whether they charged 1% or 2% , now its 6% each for basic customs duty and countervailing duty.
prateekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13   #3
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

The Govt wants to fill its coffers and take money from all of us in ay way !

but if these funds were used then I would have no problem, the problem is that the money taken is just used for corruption !

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13   #4
Cat in the rat race
Incognito

ChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly Famed

Phones costing above 2000 is luxury.
Using more than 6 cylinders a year is luxury.
Subsidizing ailing Government companies is luxury.
Normalizing fuel prices is luxury.
People asking for judgement in 1000+ scam cases = luxury.
Girls asking for protection = luxury/illegitimate/they should call the rapists brothers so that they won't rape 'em/It's all because of chowmein!!

But,

Ministers using 72 cylinders = normal.
Ministers getting bail for a 10,000 Crore scam = normal.
Ministers using party money to go to foreign tours = normal.
Bribes = Normal.
Corruption = Normal.

Why don't they just declare that India's cash reserves have gone kaput? How much more can we endure of this idiots?

Shameless.

/Rant.
buBleZ, Geminian, hot zubs and 5 others like this.
Old 01-03-13   #5
teh geeK!
I havent set my status yet.

kartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by ChironX View Post
Girls asking for protection = luxury/illegitimate/they should call the rapists brothers so that they won't rape 'em/It's all because of chowmein!!

But,

Bribes = Normal.
Corruption = Normal.

Why don't they just declare that India's cash reserves have gone kaput? How much more can we endure of this idiots?

Shameless.

/Rant.
you forgot to add banning services like skype ,google hangout etc
ChironX likes this.
kartikoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13   #6
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
BS-ANAL suckks !!!

eddy4823 is Mysterious

JOKE : India is a developing country...
eddy4823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13   #7
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

terencefdes is very Notable

Is anyone developing a 'smartphone' for 1999/- ?

I wanna buy one & shove it up the FM's a%#* .....
buBleZ likes this.
System: i7-3770K | Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H WB Wi-Fi | ASUS GTX 660Ti DirectCUII-Top Ed | Noctua NH-C14 | 16GB RipjawsZ @ 1866Mhz | Ocz Vertex4 128GB SSD | Seasonic X760W Modular | Seagate 1TB + 2TB | Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM | CM Storm Stryker | CM Excalibur 120mm Fan | Lian-Li SATA cables | WD 2 + 2TB | Waiting to hackintosh soon

Etcetra
: LG47" LED 4600 series| WD TV Live Hub| WD 1TB | Seagate 2TB usb3 | Sherwood Blu-ray player BDP-5004 | Technics SGC-770 5.1 - 460W music system with Turntable| Nikon D5000 with 18-55 & 55-300mm | Sound-Blaster Audigy Platinum|htc wildfire S | over 250 vinyl's | AMD Athlon 1800 antique PC !!!

@WORK - Avid DS v11 on Dual Xeon E5649/ Intel S5520SC Board/ 48GB RAM/ 60GB x 2 Intel SSD/ Quadro 5000 / 8TB Storage 15000RPM drives on RAID 6/ Cinetal Broadcast monitor/
Aja Kona 3G IO card / Awaiting HP Dreamcolor Monitor
terencefdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13   #8
teh nuB!
Gadget Freak

Rig Gallery

amitsaluja is Mysterious

But,

Bribes = Normal.
Corruption = Normal.

Shameless.

/Rant.
bro alll u said is true. but do u realize who are the actual culprits., common man . yes because of common man only ministers are culprits, let me explain why i said so,

during a election do u know how much a minister or a mla has to spend money to fight a election,
its more than a crore and is that so its because people take money to give votes they dun give votes seeing face value or respect. moreover they take money from all candidates and sometimes dun even vote for them.
Now tell me if a minister spends more than 1-2 crores just for winning a election, why will he not recover his money and moreover he has to get more profits so that he can again fight the next election. which would cost him 3-4 times more what he spent last time then common people will say he is corrupted , bro remeber one thing corruption starts from the common people and they are one of the biggest culprits in making bigger culprits.
This is my personal thought, NO OFFENSE
freshseasons and ChironX like this.
amitsaluja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13   #9
Banned
Curious Troll! :P

Dave is very HonorableDave is very Honorable

Its official, our dear govt/politicians ran out of money for corruption-use.

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

Originally Posted by eddy4823 View Post
JOKE : India is a developing country...
haha.
Btw, nice status there.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13   #10
Cat in the rat race
Incognito

ChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly Famed

Originally Posted by amitsaluja View Post
but do u realize who are the actual culprits., common man
I never doubted this, bro. It makes me sad to accept this, but yes, the common man is responsible for this downfall that our society and government have been going through. Even though we say big things and rant out in public forums, hardly any of us actually take the necessary steps to mitigate this problem.

In trains,buses, in our communities, we let ourselves to be bullied by so called 'bhais' and 'dadas' - we think paying bribe to a government official is essential for us to get a job or get that bill passed or get that electric connection without protesting it. Even when someone wants to protest, he/she is often snubbed by his/her family members 'Chhod do beta, bekaar mein kyun pareshaani mod lena apne upar' (English : Let it be son, why take an unnecessary problem on your shoulders?)

This non-chalance, this ignorance has ultimately become the bane for us. What you have said is ultimately true, politics have become a fight for supremacy by any means, and whoever can invest more money will have more power and ultimately win. Hurting part is, we've all played pawns in this race at some time or the other, and continue to do so regardless of what we say.
amitsaluja likes this.
ChironX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13   #11
teh nuB!
Gadget Freak

Rig Gallery

amitsaluja is Mysterious

I never doubted this, bro. It makes me sad to accept this, but yes, the common man is responsible for this downfall that our society and government have been going through. Even though we say big things and rant out in public forums, hardly any of us actually take the necessary steps to mitigate this problem.

In trains,buses, in our communities, we let ourselves to be bullied by so called 'bhais' and 'dadas' - we think paying bribe to a government official is essential for us to get a job or get that bill passed or get that electric connection without protesting it. Even when someone wants to protest, he/she is often snubbed by his/her family members 'Chhod do beta, bekaar mein kyun pareshaani mod lena apne upar' (English : Let it be son, why take an unnecessary problem on your shoulders?)

This non-chalance, this ignorance has ultimately become the bane for us. What you have said is ultimately true, politics have become a fight for supremacy by any means, and whoever can invest more money will have more power and ultimately win. Hurting part is, we've all played pawns in this race at some time or the other, and continue to do so regardless of what we say.
U spoke my words bro
ChironX likes this.
amitsaluja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13   #12
Xeo
Th[E] Troll
Papa Donger

Xeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply Great

Well f*ck you too Chidambaram. I'll make my own country with blackjack and hookers.
SEB47 likes this.
GTX580 Twin Frozr II
Silent Pro M700
Tempest 410 Elite
Xeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13   #13
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Steamroller?

uniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirable

Phone above 2000rs is luxury i think most of common men are Richie Rich.
Smart phones are ain't luxury any more .
Now people are buying budget smart phones/tabs instead of desktop/laptop because of its price point.
You can't buy a desktop/laptop under 5k for basic internet & watching movies & songs and viewing(also editing) documents. But you can buy the budget smart phone/tabs under 5k to get the job done.
Even some one said 31rs/day is enough for a person in a city & won't be declared as a BPL person/family.

They want just to suck people's money & fill their swiss banks.
uniquegamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13   #14
teh Paint Whisperer!
Whispering to my i20

sohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Great

Damnit these Swiss banks should secretly liquidate their accounts and disappear!
Originally Posted by Chief-Techie View Post
Karan was in his Fantasy World Dreaming Adi Wearing a Red Dress & then Sending a Red Hot Msg

sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13   #15
Lord Voldemort
Community Moderator
THE TERROR!!!

Rig Gallery

Marun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly Famed

Mission: To get a Samsung tablet note and install Sygic, torque and place it in a car cradle.

Before Budget:

What I have:

Main phone:

Backup phone:

After Budget:

Main phone:

HTC goes to the car with all apps!!!

Verdict: Samsung tab mission aborted!!!

Marun the great!!!