Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Buying Help > PC Buying Help
Register Forgot Password?

Old 17-12-12   #1
teh nuB!
[E]onian
humble bundle haz BF3

Support Mid End Gaming Rendering Rig

My friend is building a new rig and I need some suggestions from you guys.
  • Budget: Approx 50 k
  • Existing hardware setup:
    • Intel Q9400
    • some good Gigabyte board, approx 10k when bought
    • cooler master 500W PSU
    • HD4870,
    • Muskin 4 GB, CM690 i guess
  • Components from the existing setup that you intend to keep: HDDs, Monitor
  • Components that you have in mind for your new PC: Current Components suggested by me
    • Proccy: I5-3570k - 13k
    • MoBo: AsRock z77 Extreme 4 - 10k
    • RAM: Corsair Vengeance/ Gskill rip jaws 8X1- 3k
    • PSU: Corsair TX 750 - 7k
    • GFx: Nvidia GTX 660 - 15k
    • Cabinet: Corsair Carbide 400r- 5K
  • Plans to upgrade in the future: Yes maybe RAM and then Heat sink
  • Places from where you will buy components along with your location: He is from Lucknow, he went to local market but no lucky with these components. Now the only option is to get these components online
  • Are you comfortable with buying secondhand components from the Erodov market? : No
  • Intended use of the PC [gaming/office use/rendering/HD playback etc] : Rendering, Gaming, Multimedia, Photoshop
  • Brand preferences:Asus, Gigabyte, Nvidia, Corsair, Intel
  • Monitor resolution and size: Not Needed
  • Will you be overclocking your setup?: Not planning right now
  • Which OS will you use?: Win 7 x64 / Win 8 x64

Please suggest me the best prices for these components. Let me know if you know about better components in same price range.
waiting for your replies
Xtreme - Processor:Q9400 | Mother Board: ASUS P5Q Pro | Memory: Corsair-XMS2-DHX [4X2GB] | GFX : GTX 670 DCU-II | PSU : Corsair TX 650 | HDD : 160 GB WD , 1TB Segate , 2 TB WD Green ,500 GB maxtor, 2TB Maxtor | Cabinet : CM 690 | Monitor : Dell U2312HM | Sound Logitech:Z906, Steelseries 4H,
Apocalyp5e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-12   #2
Cat in the rat race
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Incognito

ChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly Famed
Re: Mid End Gaming Rendering Rig

The choices are good I'd say. Can you please let us know about the monitor resolution? This setup will be good for upto 1080p at this point of time, and then some. GTX660 handles 1080p gaming smoothly, and the CPU is great for rendering as well has handling all the basic multimedia tasks/desktop computing.

One thing ~ No single stick RAM! Take 2 sticks of 4 GB Each (you want to take advantage of dual-channel memory, right?). 1866 MHz is the sweet spot, but I would say if you are a little flexible about that, you can order some Samsung sticks from Newegg. Our resident KTD will help you in this regard. Those RAM sticks are simply amazing!

You wouldn't need a TX750 running that setup, but having a little more juice left in the PSU ensures you don't stress it fully. Nifty choices otherwise. As for motherboard, Extreme4 is a good option. P8Z77-V-LE/LX is also good, and I think MSI has a GD43 board at around 10k. Gigabyte's best board under that category is the G1 Sniper M3, which is a micro atx one. In terms of features, they are all almost similar. You get all the Z77 goodies choosing any one of them.

Asrock is not using Intel LAN, fyi, they use BroadCom. The Intel one is a little more reliable, IMHO, but I haven't heard anything bad about any of the Extreme4/6 series (except some rants which are common for any electronic device or component).

Cheers!
terencefdes and Apocalyp5e like this.
Old 17-12-12   #3
teh nuB!
[E]onian
humble bundle haz BF3

Apocalyp5e is very Notable

@ChironX +6 Thanks for your insight. and yeah he will be using 1080p monitor

As for the Mo-Bo his budget constraint is near about 10k, and this is the only area i am a bit confused . Thanks for clearing all up.

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

Originally Posted by ChironX View Post
One thing ~ No single stick RAM! Take 2 sticks of 4 GB Each (you want to take advantage of dual-channel memory, right?)
Yeah I know but he plans get another stick later on so i though better to stick with 1X8GB and later add 1X8GB next month 4GB will waste slots.

Last edited by Apocalyp5e; 18-12-12 at 11:52 AM.
Old 17-12-12   #4
Banned
I'm Animator / GawD

zombie is somewhat of a Mystery

Seems like you're is in some Graphic / Animation related field ?

1. Try getting a Quality of RAM, i.e., 2000Mhz. Its the time 1600Mhz is getting old !
2. Suggest your friend to invest 2-3k over Cabinet. Get a Decent Cabinet from CoolerMaster.
3. Invest the money in Graphic Card. Its something he's gonna need more powerful.

Other things you've listed seems decent.

Other issue's are pointed out by ChironX !

Yeah I know but he plans get another stick later on so i though better to stick with 1X8GB and later add 1X8GB next month 4GB will waste slots.
Then he need to do it asap else he won't be having the full fun of i5.

You wouldn't need a TX750 running that setup
This !

600 or 650 would be enough.
But yes only degrade if you / your friend have no thoughts of going for a big GPU or Dual GPU's later on.
Apocalyp5e likes this.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nokia 3310 > Siemens > Tata Star > Nokia 1100 > Nokia N72 > Moto Razr V3 > Moto Razr V3i > Nokia N73 > Blackberry Curve > Chinese Mobile > Samsung Guru > Samsung Star 3G > Lg Pop > Samsung Corby Mate > iPhone 3G > iPhone 3Gs > iPhone 4 > iPhone 4S > Nokia 1600 > HTC Desire HD > HTC Sensation > Samsung Galaxy S2 > Samsung Galaxy Note > Nokia 101 > iPhone 4S
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bike Life : Yamaha Libero > Pulsar 180 > Karizma R > Yamaha Fazer > Pulsar 220 > Discover > Yamaha Fz > Pulsar 220
(Italic = Currently In my Parking)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Traveled on bike : Area / Places Of Delhi, Haryana, Punjab, Rajasthan, Uttrakhand, Gujarat, Nepal, U.P., Bihar, Maharashtra.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DieHard Fan : Apple, Puma, Dell, Pulsar, CoolerMaster, ATI Graphic Cards.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hate : Cars, Superstition, AMD Processor, Nvidia, Canon SLR, Microsoft Office, Linux.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jai Hanuman !
Respect, Pray, Love "Parents" Forget other Mantra-Vantra, Baba's and their drama.

Last edited by zombie; 17-12-12 at 07:43 PM.
zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-12   #5
teh nuB!
[E]onian
humble bundle haz BF3

Thanks a zillion for replying

Originally Posted by zombie View Post
1. Try getting a Quality of RAM, i.e., 2000Mhz. Its the time 1600Mhz is getting old !
yeah will look for 2000 MHz else will go for 1866.. the problem is more the frequency more is latency

2. Suggest your friend to invest 2-3k over Cabinet. Get a Decent Cabinet from CoolerMaster.
yeah corsair carbide 400r is pretty nifty case

3. Invest the money in Graphic Card. Its something he's gonna need more powerful.
AFAIK the rendering is totally dependent on CPU, maybe i wrong ?

600 or 650 would be enough. But yes only degrade if you / your friend have no thoughts of going for a big GPU or Dual GPU's later on.
Yeah that's the idea . I suggested it because of efficiency and efficiency degrade in few years.
Old 17-12-12   #6
teh priesT!
[E]onian
GPU !!! Kaput ... :( :(

herecomesmaggi is very Honorableherecomesmaggi is very Honorable

Originally Posted by Apocalyp5e View Post
He is from Lucknow, he went to local market
He Can Get Them At Naza Market ... On Big Shops Not On Side Shops Of Repairing Etc.... Or He Can Get It From Reliable Computers @ Patrakarpuram , Gomtinagar ..... I Have Assembled A Pc from There For My Friends And They Have Quoted Gud Price For Proccy And Motherboard .... though I Have To Wait For 4 Days For Products ... Setup Was 3-4k Cheaper Then Online Price Estimated ..... If He Want Exact Price .... He Should Look Offcial Dealers From The Product Site And Purchase From There .... i am Sure His Pocket Will 2-3k Heavier when Setup Completes.... ( I Am Off To My Dadi's Home For This And Next Week, Otherwise Would Have Helped Him )

Proccy: I5-3570k - 13k MoBo: AsRock z77 Extreme 4 - 10k RAM: Corsair Vengeance/ Gskill rip jaws 8X1- 3k PSU: Corsair TX 750 - 7k GFx: Nvidia GTX 660 - 15k Cabinet: Corsair Carbide 400r- 5K
Wisely Chosen My Friend !!!! gr8 Config ....
And For Your Concern Ram @ 1333 or @1600 or @ 2000 Doesnt Really Effect (Except Look out For Latency) ... In These Setups (Just For Info)
Apocalyp5e likes this.
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor Overclocked @ 4.2GHZ. |||| Corsair CWCH60 CPU Cooler. |||| Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 Z77 Motherboard. |||| Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 @1600 Mhz (Dual Channel).|||| WD Caviar Blue 500 GB + WD Caviar Green 2 TB(WD20EARX).|||| Zotac 460 GTS (560 sold, Saving Money For 660Ti).|||| Corsair 300R With Rubber Padding And 4 Fans.|||| Corsair GS 600v2.|||| Asus DRW-24B5ST.|||| LG - M2341A.|||| UPS: 800VA Microtek.|||| Keyboard: Microsoft. |||| Mouce: Kinzu. |||| Pad: Golliath And A Xbox Controller.
Will Soon Update : kraken x60 cooler
Gadgets
Gameboy Advance, PsP 3004 , Ps1 , Ps2 Hdd Modded, Ps3 320GB, Nokia 6700s, Pantech burst, Apple Ipad Gen 4 , Sony Handycam 80GB , Nikon Digital Cam.
Will Update Soon: Dslr cam
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________________
A thing about Idiots, they drag you from your level of expertise to their level of stupidity, then beat you with their experience !!!
[Please Forgive My Camel Texts !!!]

Last edited by herecomesmaggi; 17-12-12 at 10:55 PM.
herecomesmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-12   #7
teh nuB!
[E]onian
humble bundle haz BF3

ty dude Basically I am from lko as well and btw he went naja today but as you know those guys don't keep high end stuff
Old 17-12-12   #8
teh priesT!
[E]onian

but as you know those guys don't keep high end stuff
Yeah thats The Truth ... But They Did Impressive work on piracy
Then Only Only Official Distributors trick remain ... Search On Product sites And You will Definetly find 2-3 dealers ....
Old 18-12-12   #9
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
figuring out a movie to watch

KrashNBurn is extremely Eminent
KrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely Eminent

Suggest your friend to invest 2-3k over Cabinet. Get a Decent Cabinet from CoolerMaster.
While CM cases are great and the 690 and the 690 II are a brilliant series, why do you suggest against the Corsair Carbide 400R?

yeah will look for 2000 MHz else will go for 1866.. the problem is more the frequency more is latency
Check these two articles before buying the memory.
Choosing the Best DDR3 SDRAM for Ivy Bridge. Page 7 - X-bit labs
AnandTech - Memory Performance: 16GB DDR3-1333 to DDR3-2400 on Ivy Bridge IGP with G.Skill
Apocalyp5e likes this.

You can run, but you can't hide!

KrashNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-12   #10
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

terencefdes is very Notable

Hi ...

A few suggestions .... since your friends primary need is - rendering; multimedia; photoshop

1. GPU - If you can.... push for the 660 Ti
GTX 660 Ti GTX 660 GTX 650 GTX 640
CUDA / Stream Processors: 1344 960 384 384
nvidia GPU : GK104 GK106 GK107 GK107
Memory Bus Width: 192-bit 192-bit 128-bit 128-bit
Texture Units: 112 80 32 32
(I messed up the layout of the above excelsheet .... but ... those figures are all correct)
Having those extra CUDA cores & Texture units comes in handy for your friends apps + the Nvidia 104 GPU is the same that's used in the 670 & 680 series too. The 660Ti will take care of things sufficiently for the next 2-3 years.

Note: The 660Ti series is in short supply in most-places (India), I ordered mine from theitdepot-chennai

2. The existing CM 690 is a good enough cabby to continue with (unless he plans to keep the old RIG)

3. At some point of time add an SSD ... 128GB at least [for a phenomenal boost in speed/performance]

Cheers
Terry
Apocalyp5e likes this.
System: i7-3770K | Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H WB Wi-Fi | ASUS GTX 660Ti DirectCUII-Top Ed | Noctua NH-C14 | 16GB RipjawsZ @ 1866Mhz | Ocz Vertex4 128GB SSD | Seasonic X760W Modular | Seagate 1TB + 2TB | Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM | CM Storm Stryker | CM Excalibur 120mm Fan | Lian-Li SATA cables | WD 2 + 2TB | Waiting to hackintosh soon

Etcetra
: LG47" LED 4600 series| WD TV Live Hub| WD 1TB | Seagate 2TB usb3 | Sherwood Blu-ray player BDP-5004 | Technics SGC-770 5.1 - 460W music system with Turntable| Nikon D5000 with 18-55 & 55-300mm | Sound-Blaster Audigy Platinum|htc wildfire S | over 250 vinyl's | AMD Athlon 1800 antique PC !!!

@WORK - Avid DS v11 on Dual Xeon E5649/ Intel S5520SC Board/ 48GB RAM/ 60GB x 2 Intel SSD/ Quadro 5000 / 8TB Storage 15000RPM drives on RAID 6/ Cinetal Broadcast monitor/
Aja Kona 3G IO card / Awaiting HP Dreamcolor Monitor

Last edited by terencefdes; 18-12-12 at 09:42 AM.
terencefdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-12   #11
Banned
I'm Animator / GawD

Originally Posted by krashnburn ♦ View Post
While CM cases are great and the 690 and the 690 II are a brilliant series, why do you suggest against the Corsair Carbide 400R?
Already mentioned.
Just to save some money. To get a 2-3k worth Cabby inplace of 5k and to invest in GPU !
Old 18-12-12   #12
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
figuring out a movie to watch

KrashNBurn is extremely Eminent
KrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely Eminent

Originally Posted by terencefdes View Post
2. The existing CM 690 is a good enough cabby to continue with (unless he plans to keep the old RIG) 3. At some point of time add an SSD ... 128GB at least [for a phenomenal boost in speed/performance]
+2

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

2-3k over Cabinet.
This sounded like "invest over the corsair budget". My bad.
KrashNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-12   #13
Banned
I'm Animator / GawD

No point in investing when you have 690 bro. !

And even if your friend want to keep the old setup.
Why not get a cheaper cabinet like something from iBall for 700-800rs or CoolerMaster Elite series (Entry level) cabinet. Hardly 1.5-1.8k and it can serve the purpose of old Setup
And you see by this you'll be saving enough to put over RAM, gpu, anything !

Its all about adjustment when you have limited budget but you're smart enough to grab the maximum
Old 18-12-12   #14
teh nuB!
[E]onian
love life

vinay1g is Mysterious

^+1
Old 18-12-12   #15
teh priesT!
[E]onian

Why not get a cheaper cabinet like something from iBall for 700-800rs
I Ball.... Seriously ( Once My Friend Brought That Thunderbolt Type Cabinet ... And Its Power Light Blown Off In First Start .. )

I Didnt Noticed That Thread Starter Has Any Type Of Budget Complications ..... But If He Has ... I Would Recomend Bitfenix Merc Cabinets Over Coolermaster Atleast They Have Proper Ventilation and Fan mounts Avaialable ..... U Can Mount 7 Fans + Longest Graphic Card Supported + Proper Filter Mesh + 4 USB @ Front ...... Just Check It Out ....
terencefdes likes this.
Post New Thread  Reply