Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Electronics and Consumer Durables > Mobile Phones
Register Forgot Password?

Old 03-11-12   #1
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery
Microsoft Surface Phone, Facebook Phone, Baba Ramdev Phone

Ballmer plans to hasten Nokia's bankruptcy.

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Microsoft is testing its own "Surface" smartphone design with component suppliers in Asia. However the suppliers who declined to be named, said that they are not sure if the product will ever go into mass production. bgr.com had also reported this a month back, but WSJ confirming this from suppliers gives the news more legitimacy.

Microsoft Tests Smartphone With Asia Suppliers - WSJ.com
With Windows Phone still failing to gain traction, Microsoft plans to launch its own smartphone | BGR

Even If Microsoft does start production of the phone, it is unlikely to be before 2013 and will only be sold online and in its own retail stores. Even with these limitations such a move will surely hurt sales of its partners such as Nokia who are struggling to survive.

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer refused to comment saying : "Whether we had a plan to do something different or we didn't have a plan I wouldn't comment in any dimension." Nokia CEO Stephen Elop put up a brave face saying he had no information about this but added that a Microsoft-made phone could be a "stimulant" to sales for all companies making Windows Phone devices. Microsoft didnt tell Nokia about its Surface tablet either so that's no surprise.

Also in the news - There are yet more rumours that HTC is manufacturing an official Facebook phone. Pocket-lint.com says that their "very reliable source has confirmed that the HTC Opera UL " is being tested as the facebook phone. The have even posted some specs and a benchmark for the phone. You can check it over here : EXCLUSIVE: HTC Opera UL is official Facebook phone - Pocket-lint

Baba Ramdev testing the prototype of his upcoming Android smartphone

Not to be outdone, Baba Ramdev is also said to be working on his own Yogic phone. The phone is said to have a 3.7 inch IPS screen and is said to be powered by a 1.2ghz Qualcomm processor. The OS is said to be Android 4.1 Jelly bean and U.I. is customised. The specialty of the phone is that it also has a sliding qwerty keypad. The home screen will have widgets which gives Baba's message of the day and health tips of the day. There will be also be special apps which recite mantras and give visual guides to proper yoga positions. The phone will be sold at all Divya Yog pharmacies and leading mobile stores.
Sonu likes this.
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-12   #2
Xeo
Th[E] Troll
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Papa Donger

Xeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply Great
Re: Microsoft Surface Phone, Facebook Phone, Baba Ramdev Phone

Originally Posted by vijayninel View Post
The phone will be sold at all Divya Yog pharmacies and leading mobile stores.
At this point, considering how crazy these Baba's are. I wouldn't be surprised if such a phone was actually released.
GTX580 Twin Frozr II
Silent Pro M700
Tempest 410 Elite
Xeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-12   #3
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

^^ Yeah, would you consider buying one?

Note: BGR.com link added in first post.
Old 03-11-12   #4
teh priesT!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

DaRampage is highly ReputableDaRampage is highly ReputableDaRampage is highly ReputableDaRampage is highly Reputable

Is this some kind of troll thread??
Atleast the last part seems so
DaRampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-12   #5
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

Very nice, the senior person had made it a point to show the world that rumors are to be beleived and that MS is going down, I appreciate that.
Well done..

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-12   #6
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Originally Posted by ManISinJpr ♦ View Post
made it a point to show the world that rumors are to be beleived and that MS is going down
LOL .. I am not asking you to believe anything. I just said that the Wall Street Journal is reporting that Microsoft are testing their own phone. Why should Microsoft be going down if they are planning their own phone? A lot of companies are planning their own phone. As consumers we get more choice.

BTW, the The Wall Street Journal is one of the oldest and the largest newspaper in the United States. Most people consider their reports to be accurate. Of course you are free not believe them as always.
Old 03-11-12   #7
teh spamm[E]R!

Rig Gallery

thebanik is extemely Distinguished
thebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguished

LOL .. I am not asking you to believe anything. I just said that the Wall Street Journal is reporting that Microsoft are testing their own phone. Why should Microsoft be going down if they are planning their own phone? A lot of companies are planning their own phone. As consumers we get more choice.

BTW, the The Wall Street Journal is one of the oldest and the largest newspaper in the United States. Most people consider their reports to be accurate. Of course you are free not believe them as always.
Microsoft is going nowhere, not anytime soon, but with this move I am sure Nokia is going to end.

I guess that was the plan from beginning. Learn the working of Nokia from inside, kill it by making horrendous decisions, and then when its in the gutter maybe buy it for scrap?
Maximus V Gene (MSI Z77-GD65, Gigabyte P67A-UD7, EVGA Classified E760,MSI Eclipse,DFI DK P45 Plus, Foxconn Mars, Asus P5Ne-SLI, Asus P5B Deluxe/Wifi AP), Intel 3770k Benched @ 6.7Ghz, Intel 2600K Benched @ 5.7 Ghz, AMD 8150 Benched @ 7.45 Ghz, Intel 980X Benched @ 6.07Ghz, AMD 970BE Benched @ 6.63Ghz, (Intel i5 680 Benched @ 6.44Ghz, Intel i7 950 Benched @ 5150Mhz, Intel E8600 Benched @ 5.71Ghz, Intel QX9650 Benched @5.41Ghz, Intel Core2 Duo E8400@4.6Ghz, e4300 @ 3.52 Ghz), Thermalright Venomous X, GSkill 6400 2 x 1 GB @ 1260Mhz , HIS 7970 (MSI GTX 580, MSI GTX 480, EVGA GTX295, Asus 4870 x2, EVGA 9800GX2, Visiontek 3870 x2, XFX 8800GT, Nvidia 7900GTX, XFX 8600GT), DELL E248WFP Monitor, CoolerMaster Benchtable, Antec HCP 1200W, Altec Lansing 641 400 RMS Watts with Auzentech X-Plosion

SVGTECH HOC40 and HOC20 Review

Corsair Vengeance K90, M90 and M60 Review

Gigabyte P67 UD7 + Intel i7 2600k Preview

Strontium Ultra Speed 128GB SSD Review

Gigabyte GX-X58A-UD9 Review
thebanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-12   #8
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

No I didn't say that WSJ is bad or joking, but that the full news is that MS will not start selling its own phones .. that was the main point of the story.
Old 03-11-12   #9
teh spamm[E]R!

Rig Gallery

thebanik is extemely Distinguished
thebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguished

Originally Posted by ManISinJpr View Post
No I didn't say that WSJ is bad or joking, but that the full news is that MS will not start selling its own phones .. that was the main point of the story.
With the new found arrogance (or people in the know say, Microsoft was always like that with its Business Partners) I doubt anyone can confirm that except for the Top Executives of Microsoft.
thebanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-12   #10
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

Originally Posted by thebanik View Post
I guess that was the plan from beginning. Learn the working of Nokia from inside, kill it by making horrendous decisions, and then when its in the gutter maybe buy it for scrap?
Microsoft has made various hardware where they do compete with their core customers - the OEM's however. when Microsoft started, their philosophy was not to compete in hardware and instead sell licenses for software which run the hardware.

That was the big difference between Microsoft and Apple. Apple from the start was a hardware + software company and they have always believed in that. Microsoft on the other hand was always seen as a software company. Now, Microsoft's thinking have changed. They now believe that their previous approach was wrong and Apple has shown them the way. They have thus started manufacturing their own hardware with competes with their OEM customers. They are also bypassing the traditional distribution channels and have set up their own distribution networks and retail stores. After all why give that greedy shopkeeper a margin in your product when you can keep that margin for yourself. So they are not just bypassing the manufacturers but also the SMC's/Nehru Places of U.S.A. Lets see how this strategy goes but I think the OEM's/distributors/shopkeepers are not too happy with these changes.

Acer CEO had this advise for Microsoft : "it is not something you are good at" and "We have said think it over. Think twice,".

Acer warns Microsoft to 'think twice' over Surface plans | News | TechRadar
Old 03-11-12   #11
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

Originally Posted by ManISinJpr View Post
Maybe they will start selling their own phones, but I think that they are aware that Nokia is in a critical position and such a move could be a deathblow for them. Also this will put off other mobile phone OEM's who are not that keen on Microsoft's OS anyway. Microsoft also do not have a effective worldwide distribution network for this device so hurting the OEM's will ultimately hurt them only.

Bloomberg is reporting that Microsoft is planning this as a backup plan in case Nokia and HTC fail. Microsoft Said to Plan Phone If Partner Approach Falters - Bloomberg Microsoft does not want Windows Phone to sink with Nokia/HTC. If Nokia's Lumia range does not do too well then expect Nokia to face bankruptcy. In such a scenario I expect Microsoft to buy Nokia and launch this device as a new product.
Old 03-11-12   #12
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

^^ That Acer story was on 7th August, now look at their offerings of Windows 8.. so ??
that teaches us that we shouldn't trust everything that we hear.. like news channels and articles make us believe

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

Whatever you believe Vijay sir ..
I don't think that MS will sell this in the near future, that is for testing and analyzing as to the vendors complaints and also research for consumers.
Old 03-11-12   #13
teh priesT!
[E]onian
GTA 4 PC

Rig Gallery

satyanjoy is highly Prominentsatyanjoy is highly Prominentsatyanjoy is highly Prominent
Microsoft is doing what they are supposed to do long time back.Distributing their product and services through their own Channel will ensure the integrity and quality.Let those greedy distributor die, I hope other hardware manufacturer also follow the suit. I am very sure they will bring their own phone sooner or later

Sent from Motorola Defy using Tapatalk 2
Intel i5 3470 | B75M-D3H | 2*4 GB Kingston HyperX Blue | GTX 660 | Samsung 840 120GB | Seasonic S12II 620 | Corsair 400R | WDC 640 aaks | Seagate 1TB | Corsair Vengeance K70 Brown | Logitech G27 | Logitech G302 | Logitech Attack 3 | BenQ G2420HD | JBL Creature III | APC RS1100 | Win10 Pro | Xbox360 Controller | WinXpSP3 | PS2 NTSC 77001 | Steam ID: satyanjoy | Origin: SatyaDG
satyanjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-12   #14
Banned
Curious Troll! :P

Dave is very HonorableDave is very Honorable

also the SMC's/Nehru Places of U.S.A.

lol.
Old 18-12-12   #15
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian