Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Articles > Tutorials and Guides
Register Forgot Password?
Follow Erodov on Twitter Follow Us
Join us on FaceBook Join Us
Post New Article  Comment

Article Tools Search this Article
Make Your Own PC Connectors/ cable converters
Make your own adapters to convert any connector from your PSU to any other
Date: 20-04-11
Topic: Tutorials and Guides
Author: Xanan

Index
Home 

Make Your Own PC Connectors/Cable converters

Typically, a standard PSU comes with at least two connectors that are not normally used. As such, there might be a situation when you feel the need of having an extra connector of a certain type. The newer power supplies are somewhat stingy with the 4-Pin Molex connectors, and since most fans, lighting kits or LCD displays require a molex connector, you might find yourself short of them. Or, maybe your PSU does not have a FDD power supply, and you happen to be one of the few still using a floppy drive. Whatever your need maybe, if you run out of connectors, you'd most likely buy an adapter for the purpose (if it is available). Well, that's not the only option. This guide will teach you how to convert almost any connector to the one you want.
The first thing you need to know is that all PSUs have color coded wires that serve different purposes. I will list the color coding found on standard power supplies, and later in the guide, you will learn to identify wires according to their position, and not color, if your power supply uses a non standard scheme.

Standard Color Coding found in PSUs:
  1. Black: Ground
  2. Red: 5v
  3. Yellow: 12v
  4. Orange: 3.3v
Additionally, there's a single green wire that is used to send a signal from the motherboard to the power supply in order to turn it on. If your PSU has a non-standard color scheme, you can easily identify this wire- there will be ONE wire of a color that will not be found on any other connector apart from the 24 Pin Main ATX Power Cable. (highlighted by the red arrow in the pic, in case you didn't notice)

Additionally, you can test if a PSU is working or not, without even connecting it to the rig...just put a bent paper clip in the pin for the green wire, and the other end of the paper clip into the pin of any black wire (standard color coding scheme). Some PSUs require some load in order to run, so attach a fan or something to a molex.
Anyway, here's a pic of the common connectors that you may need:

I will now list the order of the wires as they are seen in the picture. The convention will remain the same throughout this guide. The numbers represent the wire position, as shown in the pics
  • 4 Pin Molex
  1. Yellow
  2. Black
  3. Black
  4. Red
  • FDD Power
  1. Red
  2. Black
  3. Black
  4. Yellow
  • 6 Pin Aux Power Cable
  1. Red
  2. Orange
  3. Orange
  4. Black
  5. Black
  6. Black
  • SATA Power Cable
  1. Orange
  2. Black
  3. Red
  4. Black
  5. Yellow
Currently, the SATA power cable DOES NOT use the Orange (3.3 v) line. If you are making a SATA power cable, you can safely omit this wire, for now. This might change in the future though.
So, now that we know what wires are used in a connector, and in what order, it is fairly simple to make that connector.
Here's what you will need:
  1. The connector itself (you can salvage it from an old PSU. If you don't have a spare PSU, you can buy these connectors from local electronics shops. You'll also need crimps (the metal pins inside the connector- each costs about 2 bucks) )
  2. A tool to cut the wires. A pair of scissors will do
  3. Electrical tape or Heat Shrink.
  4. Soldering Gun, Solder wire and flux (not necessary but soldering the wires will prevent shorting/sparking that might occur if you use the twist-em-together method of joining the wires)
Here's what you need to do:
Locate a connector in your PSU that has the same wire set as the connector you want to make. For example, if you want to make a molex, the best suited connector is the FDD power as it utilises the same wires as the molex. If the connector that you are using has more wires than your spare, you can locate another connector(apart from the 24Pin ATX main or the 4 Pin ATX main) that has the wire, and simply take a line from there.
Now cut the wires from the spare connector, leaving off about 2-3 inches (in case you might need it in the future).
Attach the wires to the connector you want to make, in the correct order. A thumb rule is - join the wires of the same color, though it may not work if your connectors come from PSUs that utilise a different color coding. Always check carefully.
Solder the wires together. If you are not soldering them, then make sure they are joined properly or you are taking unnecessary risks.
BE SURE TO INSULATE THE JOINTS. A short-circuit can be disastrous.
Tips:

If your PSU utilises a different color scheme, here's how you can tell which color stands for which voltage. Examine the molex connector (be sure to align it according to the picture above).
From this view, the first wire would be the 12V, the next two Ground, and the last one the 5v. Note down their colors.
Now check either the six-pin Aux, or the Sata Power Cable- there should be a wire that is not on the molex. This wire is the 3.3 v.

I saw a thread on the forum where some one had a power supply that had only one molex connector, and the other connectors were all SATA. The chap needed to attach some devices which needed a molex connector so he was thinking of buying a SATA to Molex adapter. Unlike a Molex to SATA adapter, those things are very expensive, and are apparently not available here. One adapter costs about $4 plus shipping so that's a lot of money. Therefore, I have made this guide for those who want to have an extra molex instead of a SATA connector. This is not rocket science, and most of you might have done trickier stuff, and probably won't need the help provided here, but for those who haven't done anything similar, I assure you, this is NOT COMPLICATED AT ALL.

You will need the following:
  1. A pair of Scissors, or anything you can use to cut a wire
  2. A molex 4 pin male connector (see the pic below if you don't know the difference between a male/female 4 pin connector). You can salvage it from an old Power Supply, or an old Y-cable. it doesn't matter where you get it from, just get it anyway.
  3. Some insulation tape/tape/ heatshrink
  4. Preferably, a soldering iron , solder wire and flux- its not mandatory, but its better if you have them.
I don't have access to a cam ATM so I'll be using pics from the internet. Here's how you do it:
Standard Sata Power connector:
Standard Molex 4 Pin Power connector

If you notice carefully, a standard SATA power connector has an extra wire (typically orange on most standard power supply). This connector is used to supply an additional 3.3V input to the device. However, most devices in use today do not use this line at all, so basically, a SATA and a Molex connector are the same. However, the pin order is different for each. To match wires properly, we will use the reference images supplied above. I shall be referring to the wires as they appear in the images above. Wire Numbers will be from Left to right.
Note that a SATA Power cable has a pin identifier on the Orange wire while the Molex pin identifier is by reference image only.

To convert a SATA connector to the molex, all you have to do is cut off all the wires at about 3 inches from the connector, so that you can use it in the future.
Now, scavenge a molex male connector from somewhere. Align it according to the picture above.

Now, simply connect the same-colored wires together, solder and apply heat shrink/insulation. Insulate or tape off the extra wire so you don't short stuff accidentally.
If the wires are of different colors, refer to the pictures above.

Wires 2 and 4 from the SATA connector attach to wires 2 and 3 on the Molex

Wire 5 from the SATA connector attaches to wire 1 on the Molex

Wire 3 from the SATA connector attaches to wire 4 on the Molex.

There is no risk involved, provided you follow the instructions word to word. However, if you accidentally set fire to your house, or blow your computer, or cause WW3, I shall not be responsible.
Seriously, don't worry- I have done this a million times. Hope this was helpful.

tamocha11 likes this.

Index
Home 

Tools
Add to Xanan's Karma
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
By Xanan ♥ 21-04-11
Re: Make Your Own Connectors

Hope this helps.
By vijayninel 22-04-11
Re: Make Your Own Connectors

Originally Posted by Xanan View Post
Hope this helps.
Well .. you're sounding a bit like Obama now, but thanks for the excellent and useful info.
By KrashNBurn 22-04-11
Re: Make Your Own PC Connectors/ cable converters

Good tutorial.
Now if someone would also mention where these can be obtained - apart from OC.net and mdpc, that would make this one heck of a resource.

PS: @X: Where the hell is my fan connector?
By Xanan ♥ 22-04-11

where what can be obtained? The tutorial's sole purpose is to teach people how to make 'em and not bother about where to obtain 'em from.

Dunno about the fan connector...its somewhere within my modding supplies, but thanks to our house getting flooded twice since yesterday, i'm in a very happy mood at the moment.
By MOZ 22-04-11

What he means, is where do we get the molex connector, or SAT power, so that we can rewire the adapter.
By KrashNBurn 23-04-11

Originally Posted by Xanan View Post
where what can be obtained? The tutorial's sole purpose is to teach people how to make 'em and not bother about where to obtain 'em from.

Dunno about the fan connector...its somewhere within my modding supplies, but thanks to our house getting flooded twice since yesterday, i'm in a very happy mood at the moment.

Here's what you will need:
  1. The connector itself (you can salvage it from an old PSU)
  2. A tool to cut the wires. A pair of scissors will do
  3. Electrical tape or Heat Shrink.
  4. Soldering Gun, Solder wire and flux (not necessary but soldering the wires will prevent shorting/sparking that might occur if you use the twist-em-together method of joining the wires)

"Great now I know how to make em. I don't have a spare PSU.
Oh wait, I can always steal one of Xanan's old PSUs and scavenge the connectors off it."

Sadly not everyone enjoys the privilege of knowing you.
Also I didn't ask you to add that info in the tutorial. Well nothing wrong in adding it there.
But how are people who don't have an old PSU going to address that blue colored line?
Anyone who knows can add that info here.
Well I dunno yet where I can get em.
By Xanan ♥ 23-04-11

oh that...well, those connectors are commonly available (most, but not all) at SP Road or electronics shops which sell connectors.
By Marun ♥ 23-04-11
Icon7 Re: Make Your Own PC Connectors/ cable converters

Nice info dude. Will be helpful to all.
Reps added.
By Xanan ♥ 23-04-11

Originally Posted by Marun View Post
Nice info dude. Will be helpful to all.
Reps added.
I certainly hope so. Btw, I didn't receive any reps

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

Originally Posted by krashnburn View Post
"Great now I know how to make em. I don't have a spare PSU.
Oh wait, I can always steal one of Xanan's old PSUs and scavenge the connectors off it."
There. Fixed. Lol, I thought you were referring to getting the converters, and not the connectors. Lord, I can be such a numbskull.
By KrashNBurn 23-04-11

Noob. Now lets start a thread as to where you can get mod materials in Bangalore/other cities.
By Xanan ♥ 23-04-11

Originally Posted by krashnburn View Post
Noob. Now lets start a thread as to where you can get mod materials in Bangalore/other cities.
+1 to that.

Bangalore you and I can take care of, what about other cities?
By Sumonpathak 23-04-11

^^^i can try
By ranjani 23-04-11

Standard Color Coding found in PSUs:

1. Black: Ground
2. Red: 5v
3. Yellow: 3.3v
4. Orange: 12v
is there a mistake in Yellow & Orange !! OR am I missing any new color code ?
By mav2000 23-04-11

Hey,

Taking into account the easy availability of these end connectors as well as the various types of housing, does it not make sense to use new wire and just crimp on new connectors?

Also have you seen a good crimper around? For all type of computer pins, including fan wires?
Post New Article  Comment
Please share with friends!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search