Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Interesting News on the Web
Register Forgot Password?

Old 23-03-12   #1
teh zeuS!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
I'M bACK

Icon10 Magnetic Invisibility Cloak Created

A small cylinder developed by an international collaboration of researchers can conceal itself, and everything it contains, from machines such as Magnetic Resonance Imaging scanners or airport security devices. The cloak was created by experts from Spain and Slovakia.

The basic operating principle behind the cylinder's capability is very simple - attract and repel magnetic field lines simultaneously. Physicist Alvar Sanchez, one of the members of the team that created the device, says that building such cylinders would not be a complex task.

Details of how the technique works were published in the March 22 issue of the top journal Science. Basically, what the team did was create a coating that disrupts both the attractive and repulsive forces that can form between magnets.

Most people have played with refrigerator magnets as children. These forces are easy to understand – put the correct poles together, and they attract; turn one of them 180 degrees, and they repel.

“The thing is, can we surround one of these magnets with something so that this interaction is lost? The answer is yes, if you use our cloaking device,” says Sanchez, who holds an appointment as a physicist at the Autonomous University of Barcelona.

Therefore, if these natural forces are canceled out, the object protected by the cloak becomes invisible to any magnetic detector. “This is a seminal experimental paper in the evolution of cloaking technology,” John Pendry comments.

The expert, who is a theoretical physicist at Imperial College London, and one of the first researchers ever to propose the development of cloaking technologies, made the statement in an interview with Innovation News Daily.

The cloaking material itself acts in very much the same way metamaterials guide light around an object, without the photons realizing it. The field lines approaching the cloaking device are equally attracted and repelled, so they “feel” like they're passing right through the object.

Since they are largely motionless, and experience no electrical charge, magnetic field lines are a lot easier to work with than other electromagnetic waves, such as light. “It's a very special condition that makes the job easier,” UTA engineer Andrea Alů, who was not a part of the study, adds.
Magnetic Invisibility Cloak Created - Softpedia
The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-12   #2
teh priesT!
[E]onian
Semper Solus

modeSEVEN is highly AdmirablemodeSEVEN is highly AdmirablemodeSEVEN is highly AdmirablemodeSEVEN is highly AdmirablemodeSEVEN is highly AdmirablemodeSEVEN is highly AdmirablemodeSEVEN is highly Admirable
Re: Magnetic Invisibility Cloak Created

And here's a pic of the device in action:

(HINT: It's invisible)
Xeo likes this.
Old 24-03-12   #3
teh pandiT!
[E]onian
The Rep-whore!

Luciffer is simply GreatLuciffer is simply GreatLuciffer is simply GreatLuciffer is simply GreatLuciffer is simply GreatLuciffer is simply GreatLuciffer is simply GreatLuciffer is simply GreatLuciffer is simply GreatLuciffer is simply GreatLuciffer is simply Great

LOL @modeSEVEN : Good one
Hey baby, wanna come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo till I Google all over your Facebook?!
Luciffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-12   #4
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

I hope this does not land up in wrong hands when made !! like terrorists wanting to smuggle guns !!!
scary to think that

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-12   #5
teh spamm[E]R!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
-

Rig Gallery

Free Radical is extemely Distinguished
Free Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely Distinguished

Originally Posted by modeSEVEN View Post
And here's a pic of the device in action
(HINT: It's invisible)
Its magnetically invisible not optically

magnetic and photonic metamaterials are structurally and functionally different
ManISinJpr likes this.

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear x-rays, and I wanna, I wanna smell dark matter!
Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly, because I have to, I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting, spoken language. But I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me!
I'm a machine, and I could know much more, I could experience so much more, but I'm trapped in this absurd body!
And why?! Because my...creators thought that "God" wanted it that way.
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-12   #6
teh priesT!
[E]onian
Semper Solus

modeSEVEN is highly AdmirablemodeSEVEN is highly AdmirablemodeSEVEN is highly AdmirablemodeSEVEN is highly AdmirablemodeSEVEN is highly AdmirablemodeSEVEN is highly AdmirablemodeSEVEN is highly Admirable

Hey, in the world of trolling, Science make no sense brah! We dun get that voodoo photon magic. Us normal people equate invisible with not being able to see object in question.
modeSEVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-12   #7
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Steamroller?

uniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirable

Researchers are taking the notion of a light-deflecting "invisibility cloak" into the realm of heat.

A paper in the journal Optics Express yesterday describes a method to control the diffusion of heat similar to how researchers cloak objets to render them invisible.

By controlling how heat flows, the paper's authors intend to build materials that keep electronics cool or concentrate heat for solar power generation. Prototype thermal cloaks for microelectronics are expected to be ready within months.
In the past few years, researchers have made advances in specialized materials that scatter light, sound, or seismic waves which hit an object in a way that counteracts normal reflection. In the case of light, the effect is to cloak the object from view, which can be used for military aircraft or optical instruments.

The Optics Express paper describes the how thermal cloaking can work by applying mathematics from optics. A key difference is that, unlike light waves, heat is diffused, moving from hot to cold. By using special coatings, researchers said they can manipulate how the heat flows.

Source
http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57...ibility-cloak/
uniquegamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply