Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Everything Under the Sun
Register Forgot Password?

Old 20-02-12   #16
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery
Re: The Kingfisher Tamasha and Collapse of Aviation Industry in India

Originally Posted by stonedsurd View Post
OP is full of nonsense.

The aviation sector isn't going to collapse based on KFA's fortunes.

The railways are not profitable, and it would be absurd to expect them to absorb the volumes of passengers that would be generated if air travel was to be drastically cut back. The INR's Achilles' Heel (bureaucracy) is precisely what is private aviation's greatest asset (lack thereof).

I would type a long-ass post to substantiate both points but given how quickly discussions get sidetracked around here, I'm not going to waste my time except to say - do more reading.
1. The OP doesnt say that the aviation industry will collapse based of Kingfishers fortunes. Dont put words in my mouth. Read the OP and try to understand it.

2. "Net profit of Indian Railway Finance Corporation rose 9.62% to Rs. 485.27 crore in the unaudited full year ended March 2011 as against Rs. 442.69 crore during the previous full year ended March 2010. Sales rose 11.81% to Rs. 3839.23 crore in the unaudited full year ended March 2011 as against Rs. 3433.70 crore during the previous full year ended March 2010." Indian Railway Finance Corporation net profit rises 9.62% in the unaudited full year ended March 2011

3. Follow your own advise. - do more reading.
Old 21-02-12   #17
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.

SpaceVoid is Mysterious

OT: Can someone please tell me the name of that documentary feat China's bullet train.
SpaceVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-12   #18
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
trolling around

baba doga is Notable

you can't run trains to europe/japan/america/australia. heck, they've been trying to get pipelines to come from within asia since ever.
you can't do a 30 min hop from chandigarh to leh in a train.
you can't haul blood samples from kanyakumari to bombay in a train.
hence, trains can't put up a fight with airlines, when it comes to problems to which, commercial aviation was sought as a solution.

the concept of air travel is not at fault here. it is the business approach of individual airlines that is at fault.
baba doga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-12   #19
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

raksrules is somewhat of a Mystery

Originally Posted by SpaceVoid View Post
OT: Can someone please tell me the name of that documentary feat China's bullet train.
I would also want to know this.
raksrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-12   #20
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Originally Posted by SpaceVoid View Post
The Qinghai–Xizang railway is actually not a bullet train, but it goes through terrain that was considered as impossible to pass through. The National Geographic documentary was repeated several times though I cant remember its name. I will try to search for it on Youtube.

The Qinghai–Xizang railway feat was also reported in several Science and technology journals. I recall that a Journalist from the Frontline magazine in India even traveled on the train and reported about this marvel of Engineering.

I am very excited of the prospects of this train being extended to New Delhi.

Edit : I couldn't find the National Geographic one but I found this great documentary by the Discovery channel. Do have a look.

SpaceVoid likes this.
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-12   #21
teh priesT!
[E]onian
status quo

kris is highly Admirablekris is highly Admirablekris is highly Admirablekris is highly Admirablekris is highly Admirablekris is highly Admirablekris is highly Admirable

Air travel is the future mode of transport in india, period (seems so obvious doesnt it). And the factor is time. simple. It takes me 36 hrs to my hometown if I go by train, and the distance doesnt matter if I travel by air. The fact that an airline run by a playboy could not survive doesnt mean we should all run back in time and catch trains to far away places.

That said, the rail sector has a huge future in short distance/inter city travel. We should modernize our rail network, get more trains running closer together with new (at least new to india) technology (the gap between two trains is enormous today due to lack of implementation of new tech). The high speed rail corridor projects planned goes some way, but we need modernization across the board.
thebanik and JD666 like this.
Old 21-02-12   #22
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
You can never shutdown

ImaNapster is highly AdmirableImaNapster is highly AdmirableImaNapster is highly AdmirableImaNapster is highly AdmirableImaNapster is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by vijayninel View Post
That is true, but the airlines are serving a very minuscule portion of the population and why should the non-flyers subsidise it ? If the airlines are in losses then let them charge the flyers more .. in which case volumes will shrink. I wonder how many people will still be flying if the ticket prices are doubled.
Absolutely true fact. Why should people who never use airlines in their life bailout the lose making airlines. Considering the (corrupt) Government run AI is making huge loses (with free private flights for kith and kin of praful patel) it's no brainer that government would be ready to bail-out these airlines at the cost of an extravagant party
Free Radical and syedthedevil like this.
Old 21-02-12   #23
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Time has come to show

ronnie_gogs is simply Greatronnie_gogs is simply Greatronnie_gogs is simply Greatronnie_gogs is simply Greatronnie_gogs is simply Greatronnie_gogs is simply Greatronnie_gogs is simply Greatronnie_gogs is simply Greatronnie_gogs is simply Greatronnie_gogs is simply Great

Well business runs not on emotions or what is right.... Survival of the fittest... The weak players go out and new ones come in... Demand remains the same and increases... New players would come in and old players with weaker strategies fade out

Taxpayer money is always put in some way or the other... Railway network is as important if not more as a Airline Network... We are a developing country we need development in all sectors... Better the weaker airline operators go bankrupt and new players come in...
Old 21-02-12   #24
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
You can never shutdown

ImaNapster is highly AdmirableImaNapster is highly AdmirableImaNapster is highly AdmirableImaNapster is highly AdmirableImaNapster is highly Admirable

Though i don't know the complete legality of the kingfisher's bailout by the government, it seems they have already looted more than 500 crore's of innocent tax-payers and investors money ( info from the firstpost website) . And adding to the fact that they have debts of more than 10,000 crore's and pending income-tax of more than 500 crore's i don't see how they will rise from the ashes
ImaNapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-12   #25
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

There you go Rs 1,200-crore SBI lifeline for Kingfisher Airlines - The Economic Times

Now if SBI loses the public deposits, there will be calls for privatisation of SBI or for the Government to bail them out. Mallya and his Liquor empire are safe.
Old 22-02-12   #26
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
trolling around

baba doga is Notable

too little. and it appears to be mostly targeted towards saving the already booked passengers and employees.

they need foreign investment and stiff management.
JD666 likes this.
Old 22-02-12   #27
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
You can never shutdown

Originally Posted by baba doga View Post
It won't help in any way with the increasing fuel prices and our pathetic civil aviation ministry i don't see anything worse then wasting innocent tax-payers money to save the sinking ship. One benefactor in all this is mallaya and his stashed millions abroad
ImaNapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-12   #28
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
trolling around

baba doga is Notable

it will. a tight run ship can sail shallow waters, sir.

but yes, this airline should not have got public bailout.
Old 22-02-12   #29
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

Originally Posted by baba doga View Post
Why do you think any foreign investor will invest in a loss making business which appears to be sinking fast? FYI foreign institutional investors (FII's) had invested in Kingfisher stocks earlier but are now jumping the ship. FIIs desert Kingfisher Airlines
Old 22-02-12   #30
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
trolling around

baba doga is Notable

you have to read the statement in full.

also, there seems to be some other conflicting news, stating that the bailouts are not yet final.
Post New Thread  Reply