Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Everything Under the Sun
Register Forgot Password?

Old 06-12-11   #1
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery
Kapil Sibal Asks Facebook, Youtube, Yahoo and Other Sites to Pre-Censor Content

An example of derogatory content that has upset the govt.
Image source: Funny Photos for Facebook this image is not hosted on Erodov servers.

India's Communications Minister Kapil Sibal met officials from from Facebook, Google, Yahoo, Microsoft and other websites on Monday and asked them to remove content which could be offensive to some sections of the society. The Minister also told the company representatives that the most offensive content was that which showed the Congress president Sonia Gandhi in poor light.

A New York Times report on Monday also said that said Sibal called them about six weeks ago and showed them a Facebook page that maligned ruling Congress Party chief Sonia Gandhi and told them it was "unacceptable".

Mr Sibbal never tires to show his love for the Nehru-Gandhi family. Last year there were moves to block the English translation of a Spanish novel about Sonia Gandhi's life.

Sibal told reporters on Tuesday that "We have to take care of the sensibilities of our people, we have to protect their sensibilities. Our cultural ethos is very important to us," and also that "We'll certainly evolve guidelines to ensure that such blasphemous material is not part of content on any platform."

Mr Sibal said that websites must pre censor what all people are posting on their websites. He elaborated that "My aim is that insulting material never gets uploaded. We will evolve guidelines and mechanisms to deal with the issue. They will have to give us the data, where these images are being uploaded and who is doing it."
If Mr Sibal's idea is implemented then all your Facebook posts, tweets and forum posts will have to be censored before getting posted.
If Mr Sibal's idea is implemented then all your Facebook posts, tweets and forum posts will have to be censored before getting posted.

India has more than 100 million internet users and 28 million Facebook accounts. Web companies say the large number means broad action is impossible. "The idea of prescreening is impossible. How will they do it?...There is no technology currently that determines whether content is 'defamatory' or 'offensive'," India-based cyber security expert Vijay Mukhi told Reuters.

Facebook said that it has noted the Goverments position. "We will remove any content that violates our terms, which are designed to keep material that is hateful, threatening, incites violence or contains nudity off the service." A facebook statement said.

With inputs from : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/t...w/11006585.cms and http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-16044554
pappusmailbox, Animator and d6bmg like this.
Old 06-12-11   #2
Banned
Mod's fill this.. ROFL ! hahah

Animator is highly AdmirableAnimator is highly AdmirableAnimator is highly AdmirableAnimator is highly AdmirableAnimator is highly AdmirableAnimator is highly AdmirableAnimator is highly Admirable
Re: Kapil Sibal Asks Facebook, Youtube, Yahoo and Other Sites to Pre-Censor Content

These politicians are so concerned about these things but nothing about for what they are assigned.

Some weeks back it was reported that a politician went to Police and filed a complain against a Facebook profile and his friends for posting such pics.. LOL !
2. A Bike is to never be compared with Car.
3. Old members are superior no matter how much knowledge you hold.
4. Try to keep the troll-suckers happy else they will make you quit the thread. (unless they won't be sleeping for nights.)
5. Modding and assembling a Pc are 2 completely different things.
6. Money is nothing, Its worthy when you have friends and a Life.
7. Honey Singh doesn't mean vulgar in all songs.
8. No Matter how much you love English Sawngs, some Hindi Sawng are always above them in your heart.

You read it because I wasted my 5 minute, Now Thank me.
Animator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11   #3
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble
Re: Kapil Sibal Asks Facebook, Youtube, Yahoo and Other Sites to Pre-Censor Content

Totally FALSE interpretation !!
Only the tweets and fb messages which are derogatory to the PM the president and other Leaders of Indian History are to be stopped !!!
There is nothing to it, I am amazed that Vijay fell prey to this absurd modded interpretation of a news !!!

LOLz.. maybe he has a love for these stupid indian media channels !! who are all in it for spreading false and contorted lies !!!
just so that they can make more money by advts and eyeballs !!

Spreading hysteria is the ONLY mantra of Indiam media of all categories..
mrnikhilsudo likes this.

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11   #4
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
ROFLCOPTER TICKETS NOW AVAILAB

Touchstone is very RespectfulTouchstone is very Respectful

That pic makes me feel violent....the PS job just isn't that good lol.
Old 06-12-11   #5
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Originally Posted by ManISinJpr View Post
Only the tweets and fb messages which are derogatory to the PM the president and other Leaders of Indian History are to be stopped !!!
No, he has also asked for derogatory images and videos esp those on YouTube to be removed :

I quote from the BBC :
Before the press conference, Mr Sibal showed reporters morphed photos of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi, as well as pigs running through Islam's holy city of Mecca.
Besides that he is also asking facebook, twitter etc to pre-censor content. That is going to open a big can of worms.
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11   #6
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

pappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famed

I was curious about how bad a pic could be ...to have created the fuss..

But that one is just EPIC ! lol ....
Old 06-12-11   #7
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

SO is removing derogatory images and videos BAD??
Vijay, you are so CENSOR friendly guy yourself that I fail to understand the logic in your reply..
Then we at Erodov should also have full freedom to castigate and abuse at our will..
why is it so hard to understand..
As for me, I have openly stated that I am for proper censorship and minding the content, the information should be pure and unbiased even if that means being scrutinized !!!

I am appalled at the posts that i subscribe to on FB and twitter.... also on youtube.
Even the so called "Pseudo intellectuals" behind Iandia against corruption" post super cheap postings !!!
There has to be a check somewhere.. not obtrusive but inclusive !!!
Originally Posted by vijayninel View Post
No, he has also asked for derogatory images and videos esp those on YouTube to be removed :

I quote from the BBC :

Besides that he is also asking facebook, twitter etc to pre-censor content. That is going to open a big can of worms.
wingzero likes this.
Old 06-12-11   #8
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
Puny human

dexbg is extremely Renowned
dexbg is extremely Renowneddexbg is extremely Renowned
Totally FALSE interpretation !!
There is nothing to it, I am amazed that Vijay fell prey to this absurd modded interpretation of a news !!!

LOLz.. maybe he has a love for these stupid indian media channels !! who are all in it for spreading false and contorted lies !!!
just so that they can make more money by advts and eyeballs !!

Spreading hysteria is the ONLY mantra of Indiam media of all categories..
Only tweets n fb ..so posting here on Erodov,Tumblr n Reddit etc is fine.

This move is so ill thought out, its being done just to please a few senior UPA leaders who have been a target of such mockery. There is no practical logic in what Sibal has suggested the companies to do ie setup manual content pre approval , And no guidelines on what constitutes as 'derogatory'.

(This is a signature. Careful now.)

"I was there .. till the end"
dexbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11   #9
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
Puny human

dexbg is extremely Renowned
dexbg is extremely Renowneddexbg is extremely Renowned
Vijay, you are so CENSOR friendly guy yourself that I fail to understand the logic in your reply..
Then we at Erodov should also have full freedom to castigate and abuse at our will..
As for me, I have openly stated that I am for proper censorship and minding the content, the information should be pure and unbiased even if that means being scrutinized !!
Vijay can moderate us becoz he is the admin here. This is a pvt. Website and the owners can do whatever with the content because whatever we submit becomes property of Erodov.they can delete modify edit it at will.

However no one controls the internet and thus cant possibly even think of such actions.

(T his is a signature. Careful now.)
dexbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11   #10
teh nuB!

yashvisent is Mysterious

friends please dont vote these people to power.
yashvisent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11   #11
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Well Manish, I never censored anyone's views on subject matters. I only supported restrictions on usage of abusive language, nudity and swearwords. To an extent this is also done on Facebook and other sites.

In any case now in Erodov you have full freedom to use abusive language and swearwords at will. So even that problem is solved.
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11   #12
teh zeuS!
[E]onian

pappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famed

....also...our minister wants the censoring to be done by human intervention...and not thru any kind of software.

Wud somebody put some sense into him?
pappusmailbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11   #13
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
ROFLCOPTER TICKETS NOW AVAILAB

Touchstone is very RespectfulTouchstone is very Respectful

Dude's living in his fantasy world..
d6bmg likes this.
Touchstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11   #14
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

IMO, it should be all social sites.. which should be brought under some sort of control, what they are doing is no service to the world and its people, but rather earning money through their right of not censoring to increase page views.. !!
Try to look beyond the finer lines mate !!! derogatory is what is against a nation's belief and policies.. !!
Originally Posted by dexterboygenius View Post
Only tweets n fb ..so posting here on Erodov,Tumblr n Reddit etc is fine.

This move is so ill thought out, its being done just to please a few senior UPA leaders who have been a target of such mockery. There is no practical logic in what Sibal has suggested the companies to do ie setup manual content pre approval , And no guidelines on what constitutes as 'derogatory'.
(This is a signature. Careful now.)

Similar way, the GOVT is not directly moderating the companies but rather asking them to be more responsible !!!
FB and twitter and other companies are PRIVATE.. so I don't understand what you are saying.. 2moro, if a pakistaani supporter posts messages abusing, you all will have your in your bunch !!
Originally Posted by dexterboygenius View Post
Vijay can moderate us becoz he is the admin here. This is a pvt. Website and the owners can do whatever with the content because whatever we submit becomes property of Erodov.they can delete modify edit it at will.

However no one controls the internet and thus cant possibly even think of such actions.

(T his is a signature. Careful now.)
Old 06-12-11   #15
Banned
--

d6bmg is very Respectfuld6bmg is very Respectful

Now these people want to control social media like facebook, twitter etc. What an idiocy! These people are making fool of themselves.
And above all they don't even know that these photos have some serious logic behind it & floating around the internet for several years and they can't be the reason of 'riot' in anyway.
P.S. Indian ministers are going in the same way as paki did.

I'm wondering what will they do if facebook don't listen to them(I think they won't). Will the block facebook?

P.S.S. These aren't for those people who don't have sense of humor.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

IMO, it should be all social sites.. which should be brought under some sort of control, what they are doing is no service to the world and its people, but rather earning money through their right of not censoring to increase page views.. !!
So, you love the 'freedom of censorship', right?

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Above all, everything done in internet is for fun and nothing to do with any religion or person.