Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Interesting News on the Web
Register Forgot Password?

Old 17-05-13   #1
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

Icon6 It's Official: Windows Phone is the Third Most Popular Smartphone OS !

Yes the source is IDC
Windows Phone posted the largest year-over-year gain among the leading operating systems, more than doubling its size from a year ago. Nokia was largely responsible for driving these volumes higher, accounting for 79.0% of all Windows Phone shipments during the quarter. Since Nokia began shipping Windows Phone devices, the company has shipped a total of 20.3 million units and grown the footprint worldwide to include address multiple market segments. Meanwhile, other vendors continue to offer Windows Phone devices, but mainly as an alternative to their signature Android devices. Still, the gains made by Windows Phone demonstrate both end-user demand and OEM support.

BlackBerry realized double-digit declines from a year ago, but this masks the progress that the company has made since then. In its first quarter of availability, BlackBerry formally introduced and shipped more than a million units running on its new BB10 platform, a significant breakthrough for the company. At the same time, BlackBerry still relied on its BB7 smartphones for the majority of its shipment volume, which, due to their lower prices, were well received within key markets.

As for the rest of teh OSs' Android is the supreme leader, the iOS gained but then its shrinking a lot as the equity market also says.

"Windows Phone claiming the third spot is a first and helps validate the direction taken by Microsoft and key partner Nokia," said Kevin Restivo, senior research analyst with IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker. "Given the relatively low volume generated, the Windows Phone camp will need to show further gains to solidify its status as an alternative to Android or iOS."
No one here can argue with that summary. Android currently holds 75 percent of the market, while Apple's mobile platform takes 17.3 percent. Windows Phone jumped BlackBerry with 3.2 percent, while the latter lags behind on 2.9 percent. BlackBerry is reported to be making progress, but is still relying on BB7 smartphones for the majority of its shipment volume.

Source

A fact made more evident as Microsoft's shares are trading at a FIVE year high and apple's are slowing like anything in bear category !!!
Bill Gates became the richest person again
Bill Gates Retakes World

Hello World

The 57-year-old co-founder of Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) recaptured the title from Mexican investor Carlos Slim yesterday, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, as the software maker hit a five-year high. It is the first time Gates has held the mantle since 2007. His fortune is valued at $72.7 billion, up 16 percent year-to-date.
Slim’s America Movil (AMXL) SAB, the largest mobile-phone operator in the Americas, has dropped 14 percent this year after Mexico’s Congress passed a bill that could quash the billionaire’s market dominance. That’s helped erase more than $3 billion from the 73-year-old tycoon’s net worth.
“When they’re talking about reform in a country that’s generally poor, and the guy shows up No. 1 on the list -- not a good thing,” said Greg Lesko, managing director at New York-based Deltec Asset Management LLC, which oversees $750 million and has an “underweight” position in Slim’s flagship company. “He’s had a pretty good monopoly situation in Mexico, and the Mexican cellphone user has been paying more than he should. We applaud it for the country.”
nish_higher, Sonu and nvarun like this.

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-13   #2
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Pro Indian Modder

dedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Famed
Re: It's Official: Windows Phone is the Third Most Popular Smartphone OS !

considering that most phones now are either android, windows, iOS or BB, this is a sad outcome.

But, considering the other fact that basically anyone can get certified to make android devices, its good
Old 17-05-13   #3
teh geeK!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

prajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famed

what is the sad part exactly?
i read it again just to try to understand what you meant, but still didnt get it.
ManISinJpr likes this.

---------------------------------------------------------
Home : Core i5 3470, Z77, 4x4 GB Corsair Vengeance, Corsair 400R
Travel & Work : Dell Latitude E6320

prajith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-13   #4
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

I also didn't get it, I thought that this is most wonderful news and I should share it... and also that Gates is number 1 again ...
despite donating $28Billion !!! to the world and his mission..
Originally Posted by prajith View Post
what is the sad part exactly?
ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-13   #5
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
ROG is the only way to go

Rig Gallery

Heavenrider is very RespectfulHeavenrider is very Respectful

Originally Posted by dedasdude View Post
considering that most phones now are either android, windows, iOS or BB, this is a sad outcome.
"This" is driving me nuts... i dont get it @_@.

on the other hand Windows is the third most popular OS means that they are growing and doing things right , and the competition has to keep an eye out and improve their own platforms, which means better stuff for the consumers . YAY! for consumers.

Heavenly Rider .... Ride along or Ride against , in the journey called life.. Ride on ... do not stop too long... enjoy and move along.. never stay too long.. for we are bound by time and tide ...that no Rider can hold on.....
Heavenrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-13   #6
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Pro Indian Modder

dedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Fameddedasdude is highly Famed

even i have no idea what i was trying to say. i was probably drunk/sleepy

i think i meant its a sad outcome for Windows.
ranking 3rd out of 4 major competitors isnt really much.
dedasdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-13   #7
teh spamm[E]R!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r

Rig Gallery

thebanik is extemely Distinguished
thebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguished

With only 3.3% of market share thats certainly not a great figure, IMO. Ofcourse its increasing but I am sure Microsoft and Nokia had higher hopes from the platform.
Maximus V Gene (MSI Z77-GD65, Gigabyte P67A-UD7, EVGA Classified E760,MSI Eclipse,DFI DK P45 Plus, Foxconn Mars, Asus P5Ne-SLI, Asus P5B Deluxe/Wifi AP), Intel 3770k Benched @ 6.7Ghz, Intel 2600K Benched @ 5.7 Ghz, AMD 8150 Benched @ 7.45 Ghz, Intel 980X Benched @ 6.07Ghz, AMD 970BE Benched @ 6.63Ghz, (Intel i5 680 Benched @ 6.44Ghz, Intel i7 950 Benched @ 5150Mhz, Intel E8600 Benched @ 5.71Ghz, Intel QX9650 Benched @5.41Ghz, Intel Core2 Duo E8400@4.6Ghz, e4300 @ 3.52 Ghz), Thermalright Venomous X, GSkill 6400 2 x 1 GB @ 1260Mhz , HIS 7970 (MSI GTX 580, MSI GTX 480, EVGA GTX295, Asus 4870 x2, EVGA 9800GX2, Visiontek 3870 x2, XFX 8800GT, Nvidia 7900GTX, XFX 8600GT), DELL E248WFP Monitor, CoolerMaster Benchtable, Antec HCP 1200W, Altec Lansing 641 400 RMS Watts with Auzentech X-Plosion

SVGTECH HOC40 and HOC20 Review

Corsair Vengeance K90, M90 and M60 Review

Gigabyte P67 UD7 + Intel i7 2600k Preview

Strontium Ultra Speed 128GB SSD Review

Gigabyte GX-X58A-UD9 Review
thebanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-13   #8
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

Anubis is highly AdmirableAnubis is highly AdmirableAnubis is highly AdmirableAnubis is highly AdmirableAnubis is highly AdmirableAnubis is highly Admirable

You said it bro.....................been a long time i'm back.........I'm selling off my Tipo Dual and I'm fed up with my XPeria U........it keeps on haging..........now putting a Custom ROM resolves that problem a lil but its a lil better now............I mean i give up on ANDROID..........WP8 roxxxx
Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.6GHz hyeah: | MSI P55 CD 53 |Transcend 2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz @ 1333MHz | Samsung 23" P2350 | ComfortCurve 2k | MX518 | CM 590 | Altec Lansing 2.1 | Samsung 22x SuperMulti | XFX ATI HD4890 1 GB | Cotsair TX 750 |

kIlL pIrAcY....................sTeAl OrIgInAl Cd's
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-13   #9
teh zeuS!
I'M bACK

The Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply Great

Windows Phone Grabs 35% of Smartphone Sales in Finland
ManISinJpr likes this.
The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-13   #10
teh zeuS!
I'M bACK

The Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply Great

Windows Phone Gains Market Share Worldwide, Kantar Says
The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply