Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Electronics and Consumer Durables > Electronics and Consumer Durables
Register Forgot Password?

Old 26-06-12   #1
Lounge Bug
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Chocolate Salted Balls.

Rig Gallery
Inverter Battery Questions.

I had a custom made inverter (around 5yr old) of 1kva which was in use with a 120ah battery. The battery died off a while back and have been wondering about getting a replacement battery. I did check the inverter is working by hooking it up with my car's battery temporarily.

The backup is required for a DSL modem,a wifi router so that it can run for at-least 30mins in the absence of electricity.
modem/router uses 5v input
and wifi router uses 12v input.

so i figure one of the cheap ups battery like 7.5ah / 10ah would be sufficient for my needs?.
Do i risk the low ah battery of overcharging or something when i plonk it with the inverter?
Old 26-06-12   #2
Lounge Bug
Chocolate Salted Balls.

Rig Gallery

bean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famed
Re: Inverter Battery Questions.

anyone?..
Ive been doing some reading & below are the findings:

5V x 1A = 5 Watts (dsl modem)
12V x 1A = 12 Watts ( for router)

adding +20% for buffer, the required wattage is ~20w

= 20w / 10 ~=2A DC

so backup time for 2A dc usage with 7.5AH battery= 7.5/2 =3.75hrs.
Assuming i dont want to discharge the battery for more than 40%, then 7.5 - 40% = 4.5AH (usable)..That translates to ~2hrs backup.

Hence according to my calculations a typical 7.5ah battery hooked up with my inverter should work to my needs quite well.

The only thing im worried about is the overcharging part. Any help about that part would be appreciated.
bean_laden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-12   #3
Lord Voldemort
Community Moderator
THE TERROR!!!

Rig Gallery

Marun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly Famed
Icon7 Re: Inverter Battery Questions.

Hi Buddy,

I think a 7.5Ah shouldn't be a problem. it will work fine. But still i think it will be hit by overcharging.
You can give a shot man. Depends on the battery life you can find if there is overcharging or not.
Old 27-06-12   #4
Lounge Bug
Chocolate Salted Balls.

Rig Gallery

bean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famed

Update: Got a luminous 7.5ah sealed battery. Will update results after few days.
Old 27-06-12   #5
Semper foo
Ignorance is Bliss

SignOps is extremely Renowned
SignOps is extremely RenownedSignOps is extremely RenownedSignOps is extremely Renowned

I bought a SuKam Pico 100VA Invertor for about Rs.3000. And it holds my Netgear ADSL router up for quite some time. Not tested full duration, but have run it on the invertor for more than 2 hours.

SignOps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-12   #6
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

adder is highly Prominentadder is highly Prominentadder is highly Prominent

Make sure you don't charge it at more then 1/10c or .75A/750mah,since you bought a sealed battery,overcharging them is not recommended the gases can't vent out,it will expand to abnormal size or even explode if you charge them at high ampere.
Old 27-06-12   #7
Semper foo
Ignorance is Bliss

SignOps is extremely Renowned
SignOps is extremely RenownedSignOps is extremely RenownedSignOps is extremely Renowned

@adder - To whom is this addressed?
SignOps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-12   #8
Lounge Bug
Chocolate Salted Balls.

Rig Gallery

Originally Posted by adder View Post
Make sure you don't charge it at more then 1/10c or .75A/750mah,since you bought a sealed battery,overcharging them is not recommended the gases can't vent out,it will expand to abnormal size or even explode if you charge them at high ampere.
anyway i can find out how much its charging?.. so far its been good.
battery doesnt feel hot or anything.
Old 28-06-12   #9
Lounge Bug
Chocolate Salted Balls.

Rig Gallery

So far my calculations have been good. Did few runs with the batt and i was able to run my PC[-monitor -speaker] for 5mins, thereafter the modem+router for 1hr.
It did not turn off by itself yet, but i turned on the mains since i did not want to deplete the battery with more %. Rs.700 well spent.
Old 28-06-12   #10
Lord Voldemort
Community Moderator
THE TERROR!!!

Rig Gallery

Marun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly Famed
Icon7 Re: Inverter Battery Questions.

Nice buddy.
What speaker do you have and any idea how much monitor and CPU is consuming. We shall put a rough calculation about how long it will withstand.
Marun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-12   #11
Lounge Bug
Chocolate Salted Balls.

Rig Gallery

Nothing fancy. Speaker is AL MX5021 and monitor is a 19" lcd.
PC is powered by corsair vx450w, assume ~60% always.
pc is not powered on often...very rarely when i want to watch movies or for playing games.
Old 28-06-12   #12
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
trolling around

baba doga is Notable

if the intention is to run only the modem and wifi router etc, inverter is an overkill. in fact, it will eat more than those two items combined.
baba doga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-12   #13
Lounge Bug
Chocolate Salted Balls.

Rig Gallery

Originally Posted by baba doga View Post
if the intention is to run only the modem and wifi router etc, inverter is an overkill. in fact, it will eat more than those two items combined.
what else would you suggest?.
I thought of running the devices with the 12v battery(using step down circuit) and charge the battery with the 12v adapter. But ... wasnt sure if that would have been a good idea. :/
Old 28-06-12   #14
teh nuB!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

amar is Notable

Buy an old UPS from some of your friends which uses 7.5 ah battery and its battery has died and replace with your 7.5 ah battery and use it. That will be proper thing for this battery.

Battery charging is like this: A 100 ah battery needs 10 times low current for charging, i.e., 100/10 = 10 amp charging for 100 ah battery. When it is charged, it needs float/trickle charging which is again 100 times low, i.e., 100/100 = 1 amp trickle charging current.

There will be risk of overcharging, heating, swelling of battery, or even worse, exploding of battery and danger to your life and your family in this case.
bean_laden likes this.
amar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-12   #15
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
trolling around

baba doga is Notable

since you don't need dc to ac conversion, using an efficient step down is a better idea. charging can be done by using a 1.5 amp charger.
baba doga is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply