Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Everything Under the Sun
Register Forgot Password?

Old 08-07-12   #1
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery
Support Internet Cost to Rise 25 to 60% in India - ISPs

Honourable Telecom Minister of India - Kapil Sibal

As you may recall, we had reported that the govt plans to raise taxes on internet usage by 7-8%, now the Internet Service Providers Association of India (ISPAI) president, Rajesh Chharia warned that the 7-8% is only at the base level, by the time the costs are passed on to the customer the costs will actually rise by 25 to 60% with no improvement in service.

On Saturday the ISPAI filed a petition before the Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT), saying the government’s decision is “arbitrary and illegal.” While the government can alter licence conditions, they must keep peoples interest in mind. In this case, none of the three factors which can prompt a change in licence terms — the public interest, proper conduct of telecom or national security concerns — can be legitimately invoked to justify hiking the cost for Internet users.

However it is questionable if the TDSAT can do anything in this matter as it does not have the jurisdiction to intervene in disputes between the ISP's and government. At the most this move could delay the rise in internet tariffs.

Source : The Hindu : Sci-Tech / Internet : Plan to hike Internet tariffs challenged
Old 08-07-12   #2
Lead Lead
Administrator
12 years a admin!

Rig Gallery

KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!
KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!
Re: Internet Cost to Rise 25 to 60% in India - ISPs

Excellent. Just what I was looking for. More expensive internet without any improvement in service. Might as well slash the FUP limits by half while we are at it. Then we will have a complete Cluster ****

KiD0M4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-12   #3
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Please see this press release for more details of ISPAI's position : http://www.ispai.in/ispai-view/pressreleaseview.php?pressReleaseId=8

Press Release :

GOVT. IMPOSED NEW LEVIES ON INTERNET / BROADBAND - CONTRADICTS OBJECTIVE OF NTP 2012 - AFFORDABILITY & RURAL BROADBAND

1. It will be disaster for the penetration of Broadband in the country which is already in the doldrums. Was not able to achieve Target of 40 Million by 2010, in doubt to touch 175 million by 2017 and 600 Million by 2020.

2. It is not mere 8% but will have cascading impact, which will increase the cost from 25% to over 60% depending upon ISP to ISP.

3. It is against the Main objective and spirit of National Telecom Policy 2012 which states “affordable and on demand Internet/Broadband connection to citizen of India”

4. Main thrust of Govt. is for Rural Broadband penetration, Rural people finds present rate non affordable what about after imposition of new LEVIES.

5. PENALTY for ISP segment (revenue 7500 Crores as per TRAI) while REWARD to Other OPERATORS by leaving IP 1 sector (revenue 25000 crores as per TRAI) without imposing any LEVIES, while TRAI advised LEVIES to both sector for level playing field and in NTP recommendation.

6. ISP penalized for Government's failure to audit telco's arising out of the differential revenue share payable by them against their multiple licenses, leading to the alleged underreporting of revenue.

7. Imposed TAX without even analyzing the financial position of ISP segment.

8. POLICY will remove competition by KILLING 90% ISP serving to niche smaller town and rural area - READY to FACE MONOPOLISTIC INTERNET PRICES thus making INTERNET SERVICES for privileged.

Best Regards,

President
Rajesh Chharia
+91 98110 38188[/INDENT]
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-12   #4
teh priesT!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r

Hitesh12 is very RespectfulHitesh12 is very Respectful

Kapil Sibal

what the .. ?
First CCE , then IIT and now internet !
THIS IS MADNESS !!!
Hitesh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-12   #5
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
Puny human

dexbg is extremely Renowned
dexbg is extremely Renowneddexbg is extremely Renowned
how does 7-8% levy cascade into 25-60% hike for customers..

we need some telecom type reforms done..

"I was there .. till the end"
dexbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-12   #6
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

If implemented this will be a death blow to internet in India !!
We are already one of the lowest earning and highly taxed people !!
I say lets move out
Hitesh12 likes this.

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-12   #7
TNT
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
:censored:

TNT is very Notable

The higher cost is justified by the additional hardware and manpower required by Internet Service Providers to police the internet and make it safer for its users. Those things definitely do not come cheap.
TNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-12   #8
iEvangelist
GET PEBBLE.

Rig Gallery

Ad1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply Great

Policing the internet isn't justified.

So the price isn't either.

A 25-60% hike would see my broadband cost 2500-3200 instead of 2000 per month. That would be #FML .
Misc : Playstation 3, Xbox 360, iPhone 5, Nexus 4, iPad (3rd gen) 32GB.
Ad1tya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-12   #9
teh priesT!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Techie#1 is highly AdmirableTechie#1 is highly AdmirableTechie#1 is highly AdmirableTechie#1 is highly AdmirableTechie#1 is highly AdmirableTechie#1 is highly Admirable

Good...more fuel to kick out this Govt. for good...what a plunder & blunder they made of this good nation !
Techie#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-12   #10
teh priesT!

Hitesh12 is very RespectfulHitesh12 is very Respectful

Large population , large tax , little in return
Hitesh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-12   #11
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
Pro Dota 2 League

Rig Gallery

Kaneunderground is Notable

Balle Balle ! I love my India & the government even Santa doesnt provide these many gifts ! Our telecom minister do look like bad Santa anyways !
Kaneunderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-12   #12
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Originally Posted by dexterboygenius View Post
how does 7-8% levy cascade into 25-60% hike for customers..
I also didnt understand this logic. I think they are exaggerating to gain sympathy for their cause but I must confess that I am not aware of the details of how this works. Part of the increase will be because the increased amount of manpower and time spent on the accounting, bureaucracy and red tape that this will give rise to. Still a 8% should not lead to a 25% increase.

I do know that in trade and retail this cascading effect works. A small price increase at the factory level does lead to a major increase in prices at the retail level.
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-12   #13
teh nuB!
Hazaar Gallan

Noob is Mysterious

Bloody congress..
Sibal implementing his shitty ideas like hiv aids
Techie#1 likes this.
Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-12   #14
teh geeK!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

rishimetawala is highly Admirablerishimetawala is highly Admirablerishimetawala is highly Admirablerishimetawala is highly Admirablerishimetawala is highly Admirablerishimetawala is highly Admirablerishimetawala is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by hitesh12 View Post
Kapil sibal

what the .. ?
First cce , then iit and now internet !
this is madness !!!
this is indiaaa
Old 11-07-12   #15
Banned
Curious Troll! :P

Dave is very HonorableDave is very Honorable

Guys, shall we contribute some money and put a BOUNTY on Kapil Sibal's head?? =D
Techie#1, sohail99, blufox and 1 others like this.
Post New Thread  Reply