Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Electronics and Consumer Durables > Mobile Phones
Register Forgot Password?

Old 11-09-14   #1
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery
Interesting Interview About Indian Mobile Market

I came across an interesting interview with Arvind Vohra India head of Chinese smartphone company - Gionee. He makes some interesting points about the changing Indian mobile phone market. Do watch it and share your thoughts.

mrmash likes this.
Old 11-09-14   #2
teh nuB!
[E]onian
Ek akela is shehar mein......

mrmash is very Notable
Re: Interesting Interview About Indian Mobile Market

There is a possibility for the top 3 to become the bottom 3, if they are rigid and dont change according to the times. Point in case being Samsung. Consumers are slowly but surely getting bored of their phones being passed on with better specs but the same old boring design since 2012. Almost every Samsung phone looks the same. If down the line they don't realise this and change accordingly they will lose more and more market share.
mrmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-14   #3
My Eyes are on You Seller
Community Moderator
I havent set my status yet.

johnjoyjoe is highly Reputablejohnjoyjoe is highly Reputablejohnjoyjoe is highly Reputablejohnjoyjoe is highly Reputable

titans will not fall so easily and not so soon as the time frame he mentioned. Titans are giving better Handsets and devices day by day.
its a myth.
People also said that after launching Note and S series phone that Iphone will come down by time and loose its class.
johnjoyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-14   #4
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

rdst_1 is highly Reputablerdst_1 is highly Reputablerdst_1 is highly Reputablerdst_1 is highly Reputable

In our society, brand name plays a bigger role than any of us would like to agree. Also, bad ASS from companies like Micromax and others have left a sour taste in many a consumer's mouths. So I don't see any big change in the hierarchy anytime soon.

rdst_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-14   #5
teh nuB!

garynsa is Notable

I think there will be an impact. Phones are expensive and people don't change them so often. Geeks like us try stuff so that's the marginal impact but for the majority reliability is crucial

So far micromax and other smaller brands need to provide better customer support and make sure their products are reliable with big testing

Things will change for sure but so quickly I doubt

Companies like xiaomi and oneplus will still need to have enough stock and brand recognition at over the counter stores which still is in my view a bigger chunk of buying to create an impact
garynsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-14   #6
teh zeuS!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
62.2km/h

Chavez Ding is highly FamedChavez Ding is highly FamedChavez Ding is highly FamedChavez Ding is highly FamedChavez Ding is highly FamedChavez Ding is highly FamedChavez Ding is highly FamedChavez Ding is highly FamedChavez Ding is highly Famed

The big companies are the ones who invest in R&D and bring new innovations to the market. If the chinese copy shop companies think they can dominate in the near future they are sadly mistaken. They can flood the market with cheaper alternatives with their online only approach, that I agree. But in the long run, its gonna hurt them if they don't bring in the innovation needed to keep customers coming back for newer more tech advanced phones. Plus I would like to also check out the phone physically before buying sometimes.

As for me I think innovation after sales service plays a huge role in how good serious a brand is about its customer base. Price is also a criteria but I prefer a phone which can offer that little bit more than what the crowd can put up. For instance the MI3 is a very good phone for the price but I would rather wait for the z3/z3compact and pay the price premium for what they offer. Plus they look pretty sweet, so I guess he was right to an extent about the design part.
Corsair F80 SSD
Sapphire HD5850
Asus Xonar Essence STX
Corsair Hx620
CoolerMaster CM690 II Adv
Logitech Illuminated Keyboard
Logitech Mx518/Razor Mantis Speed

Dell E228wfp
AltecLancing-MX5021/Sennheiser HD555[/CENTER]
Chavez Ding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-14   #7
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Originally Posted by Chavez Ding View Post
The big companies are the ones who invest in R&D and bring new innovations to the market. If the chinese copy shop companies think they can dominate in the near future they are sadly mistaken. They can flood the market with cheaper alternatives with their online only approach, that I agree. But in the long run, its gonna hurt them if they don't bring in the innovation needed to keep customers.
As mentioned in the interview, a lot of the "innovation" possible in mobile phones is over. You dont see any big innovations there nowadays and you probably wont in the future either. For instance this years iPhone's main selling points are a larger screen and optically stabilised camera - which are not new or revolutionary at all. Smartphone devlopment is hitting a platue and increasingly getting commoditised.
In the future the major differentiators will be price, build quality and branding. Big innovation seems to be mostly over.
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-14   #8
teh zeuS!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
62.2km/h

Chavez Ding is highly FamedChavez Ding is highly FamedChavez Ding is highly FamedChavez Ding is highly FamedChavez Ding is highly FamedChavez Ding is highly FamedChavez Ding is highly FamedChavez Ding is highly FamedChavez Ding is highly Famed

Originally Posted by vijayninel View Post
As mentioned in the interview, a lot of the "innovation" possible in mobile phones is over. You dont see any big innovations there nowadays and you probably wont in the future either. For instance this years iPhone's main selling points are a larger screen and optically stabilised camera - which are not new or revolutionary at all. Smartphone devlopment is hitting a platue and increasingly getting commoditised.
In the future the major differentiators will be price, build quality and branding. Big innovation seems to be mostly over.
Sony claim that you can play your PS4 games on your phone without using a HD TV on their z3 devices. This is a good innovation which may lead nokia/microsoft adopting something similar. I don't think there is a definite end to innovation. There may be a slowdown, but there will always be something new.
Chavez Ding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-14   #9
teh priesT!
[E]onian

MadDog is highly ReputableMadDog is highly ReputableMadDog is highly ReputableMadDog is highly Reputable

Originally Posted by vijayninel View Post
i hope they have improved battery life also with the new devices.

i very strongly feel that the Chinese brands has made a big impact on the mindset of people. I feel that difference with the people around me, we cannot generalize it with the majority of the population, but certainly the people in my office talks a lot more about cheap phones.

My manager was talking to be the other day, that his S4 display has got cracked after falling from <2feet height, they have quoted 13K for the display replacement. He was telling about dumping this mobile and buying some phone like Mi3. It is the first time i heard him talk about anything other than iphone, samsung and sony.
Old 12-09-14   #10
teh nuB!

garynsa is Notable

I think bluetooth NFC were great in ovations. Further I think you will see development in camera , battery backup and of course Ara (assembled parts to make your own devices)
garynsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-14   #11
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
i hope they have improved battery life also with the new devices.
I expect that battery life will increase and CPU's/GPU's will get more power efficient over time. Earlier last month there was news about this, Secretive Company Claims Battery Breakthrough - Scientific American Maybe there will be other battery technologies except Li-Ion too. These are areas where hardware innovation will continue for sometime but things like increasing screen sizes are over now. Even the battle of shapes is getting a bit ridiculous - how much innovation can you do with a rounded rectangle? All phones are more or less holdable.
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply