Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Interesting News on the Web
Register Forgot Password?

Old 30-04-09   #1
teh nuB!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Intel Facing Huge Fines from European Union

Those European Union Antitrust regulators are having a busy week, folks, and today reports suggest the EU could impose its biggest ever market-dominance related fine on Intel.

Intel could be facing massive fines from the European Union in relation to the company’s pricing model. It seems the European Union has a big problem with the way Intel has been doing business, in particular rebates to computer makers and retailers. The European Commission said Intel’s pricing practices were an attempt to drive AMD out of the market and was set to rule on whether or not the company should be fined.

The New York Times today reports that the size of that penalty is to be discussed by representatives from 27 European Union governments in early May. However, we wouldn’t be so jacked up about the money itself. Sure, it could be the EU’s biggest fine handed out ever, but previous reports suggest that the maximum fine allowed would be 10 percent of Intel’s revenue, which while unpleasant, wouldn’t exactly clean the company out. The New York Times cites legal experts as saying Intel’s fine could reach roughly €1 billion, or $1.3 billion. Intel’s annual sales were $37.6 billion in 2008. However, there is a distinct possibility that the EU could impose new rules in order to remedy Intel's actions. Former Commission official Michael Tscherny hinted at just that last month when he spoke to Reuters and said the European Commission could destroy Intel’s pricing model.

Intel denies charges related to rebates offered as long as manufacturers agreed to obtain the majority of their processors from Intel as well as paying them to either to delay or cancel the launch of AMD based products. The company maintains that its actions were within legal boundaries.

Old 30-04-09   #2
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble
Re: Intel Facing Huge Fines from European Union

Yeah a good step .. Fine them and give that money to AMD.
Why is this girl smiling though?

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-09   #3
teh geeK!
[E]onian

prajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famed

man Intel always is facing the antitrust hammer

---------------------------------------------------------
Home : Core i5 3470, Z77, 4x4 GB Corsair Vengeance, Corsair 400R
Travel & Work : Dell Latitude E6320

prajith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-09   #4
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

stonedsurd is extremely Renowned
stonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renowned

no one's a charity.
stonedsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-09   #5
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
trolling around

baba doga is Notable

@manish: she' paid to do that.and no, give that to ARM.

@prajith: dont worry, intel wont get hammered. they can keep trying.

@stoney: right sir!
baba doga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-09   #6
iEvangelist
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
GET PEBBLE.

Rig Gallery

Ad1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply Great

You know, I wish Intel just tells the EU to f' off. They have nothing better to do than sue every living company for some reason or the other just to make money.

Somebody should fine the fraking EU.
Misc : Playstation 3, Xbox 360, iPhone 5, Nexus 4, iPad (3rd gen) 32GB.
Ad1tya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09   #7
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
is demotivated to do
absolutely anything!

BLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly Famed

^^Only the UN can do that...

And as far as the pricing goes, well, it definitely is something 'more than average'...

but the allegations that they conducted malpractices against AMD, unless proved, seem unlikely...

http://speedtest.10fastfingers.com/b...m_score_CK.png
Visit the Typing Test and try!

BLuEBLOODED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09   #8
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

Now Now...can EU be disregarded..(if it flexes its muscles and bares its teeths and fangs), I don't think telling them to Foff is the answer. only appeals are to be used in their courts which is so highly socialized that there is no immediate cure.
there is no unity in corporate world too, ( most of them were laughing when the EU fined MS ) and there shouldn't be in most cases but the EU in its reasoning is only safeguarding the free market trade and thus wants to help its citizens.
Time to face the music for the big bad corporate world.
ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09   #9
dattebayo!
Community Moderator
Kaizoku Ou Ni Ore Wa Naru

Rig Gallery

Prash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly Famed

Originally Posted by Haxor View Post
Former Commission official Michael Tscherny hinted at just that last month when he spoke to Reuters and said the European Commission could destroy Intel’s pricing model.
Destroy? not so easy, but can change it to some extent and we all definitely need a change...

Guide to write an Article at [E]
(And win prizes !)

"Well done is better than well said"

Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09   #10
teh spamm[E]R!

Rig Gallery

thebanik is extemely Distinguished
thebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguished

Its not gonna drive consumer processor prices down....if there will be a change it will be only upwards....
Maximus V Gene (MSI Z77-GD65, Gigabyte P67A-UD7, EVGA Classified E760,MSI Eclipse,DFI DK P45 Plus, Foxconn Mars, Asus P5Ne-SLI, Asus P5B Deluxe/Wifi AP), Intel 3770k Benched @ 6.7Ghz, Intel 2600K Benched @ 5.7 Ghz, AMD 8150 Benched @ 7.45 Ghz, Intel 980X Benched @ 6.07Ghz, AMD 970BE Benched @ 6.63Ghz, (Intel i5 680 Benched @ 6.44Ghz, Intel i7 950 Benched @ 5150Mhz, Intel E8600 Benched @ 5.71Ghz, Intel QX9650 Benched @5.41Ghz, Intel Core2 Duo E8400@4.6Ghz, e4300 @ 3.52 Ghz), Thermalright Venomous X, GSkill 6400 2 x 1 GB @ 1260Mhz , HIS 7970 (MSI GTX 580, MSI GTX 480, EVGA GTX295, Asus 4870 x2, EVGA 9800GX2, Visiontek 3870 x2, XFX 8800GT, Nvidia 7900GTX, XFX 8600GT), DELL E248WFP Monitor, CoolerMaster Benchtable, Antec HCP 1200W, Altec Lansing 641 400 RMS Watts with Auzentech X-Plosion

SVGTECH HOC40 and HOC20 Review

Corsair Vengeance K90, M90 and M60 Review

Gigabyte P67 UD7 + Intel i7 2600k Preview

Strontium Ultra Speed 128GB SSD Review

Gigabyte GX-X58A-UD9 Review
thebanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09   #11
iEvangelist
GET PEBBLE.

Rig Gallery

Ad1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply Great

Originally Posted by ManISinJpr View Post
Now Now...can EU be disregarded..(if it flexes its muscles and bares its teeths and fangs), I don't think telling them to Foff is the answer. only appeals are to be used in their courts which is so highly socialized that there is no immediate cure.
there is no unity in corporate world too, ( most of them were laughing when the EU fined MS ) and there shouldn't be in most cases but the EU in its reasoning is only safeguarding the free market trade and thus wants to help its citizens.
Time to face the music for the big bad corporate world.
Dude, the EU does nothing but go after every thriving company in existence.
From Intel to Microsoft to AMD to nVidia to Apple to record companies.

They just have no jobs and are doing this to earn money. Nothing else.

I dont get why everybody cant see that an unite against them for a change.
Old 01-05-09   #12
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

An excellent move by the EU, but just fines will not suffice. Stronger regulation is needed to curb such unfair trade practices.
Old 01-05-09   #13
iEvangelist
GET PEBBLE.

Rig Gallery

Lol.. Wait until EU moves against Microsoft again.
Vijay will be abusing the EU again. Lmao.
Post New Thread  Reply