Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Interesting News on the Web
Register Forgot Password?

Old 11-03-10   #1
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Intel Core I7-980X Extreme 6-Core Processor

Intel's New Six Core Processor

Hailed As The Fastest Consumer Chip Yet
Six cores. Twelve threads. A new flagship processor in Intel's stable. Here at GDC in San Francisco, the world's most widely recognized chip maker is dishing out its latest desktop CPU, and to say it's a niche device would be greatly understating things. We spoke to a number of Intel bigwigs at tonight's media event, and everyone confessed that the Core i7-980X Extreme Edition was a low quantity, high performance device aimed specifically at gamers and content editors that simply refuse to live anywhere other than on the cutting edge. Intel's planning on selling these in retail, standalone form for $999 (MSRP), while they'll soon be available in a variety of gaming rigs from the likes of Dell, Alienware and whoever else wishes to keep with the times. Oh, and for what it's worth, the company stated that this will be its lead desktop chip for some time to come, and if you're looking for a mobile version in the near future, you can keep dreaming.

As for the critics? Just about everyone with a benchmarking license managed to get one of these in-house, and everyone seems to feel (mostly) the same way. There's no denying that this is Intel's speediest consumer chip ever, but you won't find 50 percent boosts just anywhere. Yet. When the software catches up, though, there's no doubt that this chip will make even the other Core i7s look downright sluggish. 50 percent more cores and 50 percent more threads than the prior kings of the line leads to fantastic gains when serious number crunching is involved (audio and video editors, we're staring at you), with some tests showing upticks in the 30 to 50 percent range. As a bonus, the power consumption here is also extremely reasonable, with the shift to 32nm enabling it to even use less power in some circumstances when compared to the Core i7-975 Extreme Edition.

Source: Engadget

Last edited by akS !; 12-03-10 at 12:43 PM.
IshanSaluja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10   #2
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

stonedsurd is extremely Renowned
stonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renowned
Re: Intel Core I7-980X Extreme 6-Core Processor

I can see Banik getting all hot for these chips, but seriously, there's really nothing to set this apart from an i7 920/930 for your average high-performance PC user. Heck, even the Phenom II 965 BE is only a few FPS behind it in gaming tests.

Only makes sense for benching and/or workstations. 12 threads is awesome
stonedsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10   #3
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
Social Status = Fail !

harryneopotter is extremely Renowned
harryneopotter is extremely Renownedharryneopotter is extremely Renownedharryneopotter is extremely Renowned

errr....i think for gaming, 965 is a few FPS AHEAD of 920 AFAIR. Do correct me if i am wrong !

This also says the same
Tomshardware
<Marsupial> Chandler got bit by a radioactive spider and shot a web at Phoebe, and then it emailed me.

Last edited by harryneopotter; 12-03-10 at 05:07 PM.
harryneopotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10   #4
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

stonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renowned

Originally Posted by harryneopotter View Post
errr....i think for gaming, 965 is a few FPS AHEAD of 920 AFAIR. Do correct me if i am wrong !

This also says the same
Tomshardware
You're absolutely right. Most non-multithreaded games run better on a 965 than a i7 920. However, it's the overclocking that makes the 920 such a good deal. An overclocked 920 or 930 versus will decimate an overclocked 965.

AnandTech: The Core i7 980X Review: Intel's First 6-Core Desktop CPU

Notice how the 965BE is ahead in almost every test except the multithreaded ones.
Old 12-03-10   #5
teh spamm[E]R!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r

Rig Gallery

thebanik is extemely Distinguished
thebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguished

Let me go ahead and say that only a fool would buy a 980x for gaming, .........

And to see if the AMD setup is really faster, run the games at 1024 x 768 with a 5870, that is the Real way to compare different architecture CPU's in gaming......
Maximus V Gene (MSI Z77-GD65, Gigabyte P67A-UD7, EVGA Classified E760,MSI Eclipse,DFI DK P45 Plus, Foxconn Mars, Asus P5Ne-SLI, Asus P5B Deluxe/Wifi AP), Intel 3770k Benched @ 6.7Ghz, Intel 2600K Benched @ 5.7 Ghz, AMD 8150 Benched @ 7.45 Ghz, Intel 980X Benched @ 6.07Ghz, AMD 970BE Benched @ 6.63Ghz, (Intel i5 680 Benched @ 6.44Ghz, Intel i7 950 Benched @ 5150Mhz, Intel E8600 Benched @ 5.71Ghz, Intel QX9650 Benched @5.41Ghz, Intel Core2 Duo E8400@4.6Ghz, e4300 @ 3.52 Ghz), Thermalright Venomous X, GSkill 6400 2 x 1 GB @ 1260Mhz , HIS 7970 (MSI GTX 580, MSI GTX 480, EVGA GTX295, Asus 4870 x2, EVGA 9800GX2, Visiontek 3870 x2, XFX 8800GT, Nvidia 7900GTX, XFX 8600GT), DELL E248WFP Monitor, CoolerMaster Benchtable, Antec HCP 1200W, Altec Lansing 641 400 RMS Watts with Auzentech X-Plosion

SVGTECH HOC40 and HOC20 Review

Corsair Vengeance K90, M90 and M60 Review

Gigabyte P67 UD7 + Intel i7 2600k Preview

Strontium Ultra Speed 128GB SSD Review

Gigabyte GX-X58A-UD9 Review
thebanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10   #6
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

^^ So you dont want it? I thought you will be the first one to get it
and please elaborate your statement...
And to see if the AMD setup is really faster, run the games at 1024 x 768 with a 5870, that is the Real way to compare different architecture CPU's in gaming......
Elaborate more on this. for game noobs like me.

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10   #7
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
Social Status = Fail !

harryneopotter is extremely Renowned
harryneopotter is extremely Renownedharryneopotter is extremely Renownedharryneopotter is extremely Renowned

@manish: coz at lower resolution, games depend more on cpu as a high end gpu wil nt b a bottleneck.
harryneopotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10   #8
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

Originally Posted by harryneopotter View Post
@manish: coz at lower resolution, games depend more on cpu as a high end gpu wil nt b a bottleneck.
Yes, but that's purely theoretical. Anyone buying a $150-300 CPU and a $150-300 would be a complete headcase to game at low reso.
Post New Thread  Reply