Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Everything Under the Sun
Register Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: Are you willing to pay for Wifi on trains?
Yes 14 66.67%
No 2 9.52%
I dont need Wi-fi on trains 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26-02-13   #1
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery
Bored Indian Railways Announces Free Wi-Fi For Passengers - Will You Pay for It?

Presenting his first rail budget today, Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal announced a number of measures to improve passenger amenities. He said that the online ticketing system would be improved and free Wi-Fi facility to be provided to passengers in select trains.

The details of which trains will be getting Wi-fi are not yet known but trains between Metro cities are likely to be the first to get Wi-fi. It is also not known if passengers of all classes will be getting this facility or only for First class/AC.

I wonder what technology and speeds they will be offering but I dont expect it to be very fast especially if everyone aboard starts watching Youtube HD videos.

I think there is another way for railways to get more revenue. - have high speed paid Wi-fi for those who want it. This will not just help people get work done but also provide for some entertainment during long journeys. The other thing that they need to do is to provide for more plug points so people can charge their gadgets more easily.

What do you guys think about all this?
amitsaluja likes this.
Old 26-02-13   #2
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
BS-ANAL suckks !!!

eddy4823 is Mysterious
Re: Indian Railways Announces Free Wi-Fi For Passengers - Will You Pay for It?

If it's free, why do I have to pay for it ? Sorry, the title of the thread is confusing me.
eddy4823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-13   #3
teh nuB!
Gadget Freak

Rig Gallery

amitsaluja is Mysterious

i like this concept a lot. its true that paid wifi will be better so that the required speed can be provided
amitsaluja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-13   #4
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Originally Posted by eddy4823 View Post
If it's free, why do I have to pay for it ? Sorry, the title of the thread is confusing me.
Because the free wi-fi will be restricted and have limitations. It will be only on certain routes, with limited/slow speeds and possibly not for all classes of customers.

With paid Wifi they could profitably give high speed access to all those who want it.
amitsaluja likes this.
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-13   #5
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
BS-ANAL suckks !!!

eddy4823 is Mysterious

A good way to kill time on long journeys.
eddy4823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-13   #6
teh zeuS!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
I'M bACK

The Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply Great

Great news. I personally wan't it in long journey for browsing Erodov.
The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-13   #7
Lord Voldemort
Community Moderator
THE TERROR!!!

Rig Gallery

Marun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly Famed

Airlines are reducing charges occasionaly on one side and railways are increasing the cost often on the other side. Great, what a transition!!!
Old 26-02-13   #8
teh spamm[E]R!

Rig Gallery

wingzero is extremely Renowned
wingzero is extremely Renownedwingzero is extremely Renownedwingzero is extremely Renownedwingzero is extremely Renownedwingzero is extremely Renowned

Originally Posted by Marun View Post
Airlines are reducing charges occasionaly on one side and railways are increasing the cost often on the other side. Great, what a transition!!!
Railways increased the price by what amount and in how much duration?.Anywyas Like the idea of paid WiFi. Free WiFi anyways wouldn't be upto the mark. However there are much more things to be sorted out in railways. Some Sleeper coaches are terribly maintainted. Cockroaches and Rats can be found upon each gaze in the boggie :|
ManISinJpr likes this.

Guides n Reviews :
wingzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-13   #9
Lord Voldemort
Community Moderator
THE TERROR!!!

Rig Gallery

Marun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly FamedMarun is highly Famed

They raised couple of times. Aren't they?
Marun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-13   #10
teh nuB!
[E]onian
:-)

Geminian is Notable

Even if we are ready to pay for hi-speed wifi internet access., I doubt they can provide it being "sarkari" attitude.
Old 26-02-13   #11
Neo[t]
SteelSeries SenSei <3

prateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply Great

Railway prices haven't increased much in the last 10 years.

Sent from Nexus 4 - LGE960 using Tapatalk
prateekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-13   #12
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Blogging & Internt Marketi

roadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirable

I know how much will the speed be 56.6kbps for sure it will get connected but can't use it just like how irctc site is you can login but u can't book

Old 26-02-13   #13
Cat in the rat race
Incognito

ChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly Famed

I personally don't mind paying for high speed Wi-Fi as long as it stays 'High Speed' during my journey. If they can provide a good service, why not! I believe value-adds like these are necessary to revamp the infrastructure of Indian Railways and also a very good way to earn some revenue.
Old 26-02-13   #14
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Blogging & Internt Marketi

roadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirableroadrippersid is highly Admirable
Re: Re: Indian Railways Announces Free Wi-Fi For Passengers - Will You Pay for It?

Originally Posted by ChironX View Post
I personally don't mind paying for high speed Wi-Fi as long as it stays 'High Speed' during my journey. If they can provide a good service, why not! I believe value-adds like these are necessary to revamp the infrastructure of Indian Railways and also a very good way to earn some revenue.
I know its good but I don't expect anything beneficial from indian railways

roadrippersid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-13   #15
teh spamm[E]R!

Rig Gallery

wingzero is extremely Renowned
wingzero is extremely Renownedwingzero is extremely Renownedwingzero is extremely Renownedwingzero is extremely Renownedwingzero is extremely Renowned

Originally Posted by Marun View Post
They raised couple of times. Aren't they?
Not significant in last 10years.
wingzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply