Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Gaming Zone > x Gaming
Register Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: Would you use a fast, dedicated, non-laggy Indian TF2 server ?
Yes 29 93.55%
No 2 6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-07-10   #1
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.

Woot I'm Setting Up a Dedicated TF2 Server

... at a professional hosting company. It *should* be able to support a 24-slot TF2 game with ease. From my home broadband connection, I'm getting pings to it of 20-27ms or so from my home in Delhi.

Why are you doing this?
I'm an old gamer (in comparison at least) and now I have some money to spare. I'm very bad at TF2 (I keep thinking that the lag between the Sing servers is the culprit) and my old reflexes could use some low-latency help. Plus, I've always wondered what playing on a 15-20ms connection is like

Any further details?
Sure. the server will be running 64-bit Debian and will be used for TF2 and nothing else. It'll probably be a multi-core 2.6 gHz machine with 2gb of RAM and fast, multi-homed muxes to Indian ISPs like Airtel, Tata & Reliance and more.

So what's the catch?
Nothing. Server will be free, whether I'm online or at my day job. I'm just curious about running a ded. game server and would like to learn the admin tricks I need to do that.

Why are you posting here?
Can't post on the Steam group's pages and Erodov Forums were the old home of TF2.IN

What do you want from us?
Suggestions. Flames. Advice on setting up a ded. tf2 server (required modpacks etc.) If there are other forums you think I should post this to, please do point me towards them. Contact me here or send me email.

Ok so when should I be able to start gaming on your server?
How does "within one week" sound?
silentnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-10   #2
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

Aragorn is extremely Renowned
Aragorn is extremely RenownedAragorn is extremely RenownedAragorn is extremely Renowned
Re: I'm Setting Up a Dedicated TF2 Server

nice initiative ...
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-10   #3
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

JD666 is highly ProminentJD666 is highly ProminentJD666 is highly Prominent

sounds good. I had thought of it, but needed a static ip for this purpose.
JD666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-10   #4
teh nuB!

silentnight is Mysterious

Would like to make posts on other forums on this initiative as well, guys. What are the other forums I should post on? Also, if any admin on Steam's INTF2 (Team Fortress 2 India) are reading this, would be nice to have a chat with you about best way to go ahead with this.
Old 13-07-10   #5
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
Dark Souls + Diablo III

kaiserbreath is highly Admirablekaiserbreath is highly Admirablekaiserbreath is highly Admirablekaiserbreath is highly Admirablekaiserbreath is highly Admirablekaiserbreath is highly Admirable

Count me in too. My Tata indicom pings are really high on Star hub these days and only selected e-club serves are full. So I guess we could do with an Indian server

Last edited by kaiserbreath; 13-07-10 at 09:41 PM. Reason: *
kaiserbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-10   #6
teh priesT!
[E]onian

Jasku is highly AdmirableJasku is highly AdmirableJasku is highly AdmirableJasku is highly AdmirableJasku is highly AdmirableJasku is highly AdmirableJasku is highly Admirable

fantastic initiative dude, there a few other tech forums where you can post, T E is one of em.
i5 2500K+CM 212 Evo| Asus P8Z68V | G.skill Ripjaws 2x4 GB 1600Mhz | MSI 7970 | OCZ Agility 3 120GB+WD640GB+WD 1TB | Asus 22x DVD-RW+ Liteon 20x DVD-RW | Razer DA mouse + Titan Everglide pad | Logitech G15 V1 | Logitech z-2300THX | Dell 2408WFP | Corsair 750TX | CM690 Cabinet
Console- PS3 40GB
Jasku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-10   #7
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Please pardon the "No" vote. That's coz I dont play TF2.
Old 13-07-10   #8
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

DigitalDude is highly AdmirableDigitalDude is highly AdmirableDigitalDude is highly AdmirableDigitalDude is highly AdmirableDigitalDude is highly Admirable

what about just purchasing from one of the game server companies in India like axep.in, e-phoenix.in or games.joister.com ??

_

|| तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय ||
DigitalDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-10   #9
teh nuB!

Originally Posted by DigitalDude View Post
what about just purchasing from one of the game server companies in India like axep.in, e-phoenix.in or games.joister.com ??

_
Good question thanks, I did a recce on them.

1. Axep seems to be hosted out of Dallas, Texas. No mention on their websites that they have hosting @ a datacentre in India. If they don't have hosting in India, they're plainly out.
2. Joister seems to offer only CS servers. Plus, I think they're probably hosted in Mumbai.
3. e-Phoenix offers TF2 servers and I've made an enquiry with them. However, they appear to offer hosting only in Mumbai, Bangalore and Hyderabad. I have sent them a sales enquiry for a 24-slot TF2 "2000 FPS" (whatever that means) server. Let's see what their response is.

If you guys know of a game server hoster in New Delhi, I'd love to save some money buying hosting @ my regular provider
Old 13-07-10   #10
Konkey Dong
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Lawlz?

ViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply Great

@Digital Very shitty to say the least.!!!

+ Joister can barely handle decent CS/CSS servers without lag....

Great initiative!!

Last edited by ViKiD; 13-07-10 at 10:40 PM.
ViKiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-10   #11
teh nuB!

Can you guys check your pings to, say, 203.92.35.217 ? it's not the host i'll be using but it is in the same datacentre. An idea of where youre located would also be nice.
Old 14-07-10   #12
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Scorpion is highly AdmirableScorpion is highly AdmirableScorpion is highly AdmirableScorpion is highly AdmirableScorpion is highly AdmirableScorpion is highly AdmirableScorpion is highly Admirable

request timed out ...

anyways this is a good thing ur doing man ... since i dont play css anymore after the update tf2 is the only thing ive got left for fun ...
Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-10   #13
teh nuB!

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
request timed out ...

anyways this is a good thing ur doing man ... since i dont play css anymore after the update tf2 is the only thing ive got left for fun ...
hehe thanks can anyone else confirm they're getting ping requests timed out to 203.92.35.217? I"m able to ping the address both from San Francisco (about 317ms) and from South Delhi. (healthy 15ms).
Old 14-07-10   #14
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

DigitalDude is highly AdmirableDigitalDude is highly AdmirableDigitalDude is highly AdmirableDigitalDude is highly AdmirableDigitalDude is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by ViKiD View Post
@Digital Very shitty to say the least.!!!

+ Joister can barely handle decent CS/CSS servers without lag....
yes the cs pings are pathetic. I think that's because they cram too many servers on a single system.

Originally Posted by silentnight View Post
Can you guys check your pings to, say, 203.92.35.217 ? it's not the host i'll be using but it is in the same datacentre. An idea of where youre located would also be nice.
73ms average from chennai. I'm on Airtel

_
DigitalDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-10   #15
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
I have no status

baccilus is highly Prominentbaccilus is highly Prominentbaccilus is highly Prominent

I am getting 64ms.
ISP: BSNL, Dataone.
Thanks for this initiative.
Core i5 2500K|| Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3|| 8GB DDRIII 1600 MHz RAM||CORSAIR GS600|| Zotac GTX560 Ti|| Samsung 2233sw|| Razor Abyssus mouse|| Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler|| Clip Zip with Audio Fishcher DBA-02
Proud owner of a Kindle 3 WiFi
baccilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply