Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Interesting News on the Web
Register Forgot Password?

Old 03-04-09   #1
dattebayo!
Community Moderator
Kaizoku Ou Ni Ore Wa Naru

Rig Gallery
IBM and Sun Merger just around the corner!

+ ?
IBM and Sun Merger - just around the corner!
Chances of announcement on Friday

Finally, it appears that the Big Blue and Sun Microsystems will definitely undergo a merger after months of speculation. Last month it was hinted when the news of talks between the two corporate giants was out.

It is being rumoured that if the merger takes place, IBM will be shelling out $9.50 per share of Sun Microsystems, which was initially predicted to be priced at $10 or 11 before. Sun has settled for a value below $10, mainly because it's expecting stronger commitments from IBM, that it will complete the deal even if it has to face any regulatory scrutiny.

Sun Microsystem's decision has a lot of sense in it because, there is a high probability that Sun's StorageTek unit, which provides tape storage for mainframe computers will face some strong regulatory scrutiny once the merger is complete. The storage unit StorageTek was bought by Sun in 2005 for about $4, so once the merger is eminent a single company will be controlling vast majority of this market, which many of it's customers may not like.

This merger would give the new combined company a 65% share of the $17 billion Unix server market. These are the servers on which major companies, the government and others are currently relying for their most critical operations according to market researcher IDC.

Sun shares are currently trading at around $8.20, and they were sitting below $5 before rumors of the buyout started making the rounds. Newyork Times has reported that "people familiar with the discussions," have disclosed the merger news, so if NYT's sources are really correct, IBM and Sun may make an announcement about the deal as early as tomorrow !

Reference
:
techreport.com, IDC

Guide to write an Article at [E]
(And win prizes !)

"Well done is better than well said"

Last edited by Prash; 03-04-09 at 04:15 PM.
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09   #2
ਦਿਲ ਆਪਣਾ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ !!!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
I don't wanna set any status..

Rig Gallery

vasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Great
Re: IBM and Sun Merger just around the corner!

Looks little confusing.
Intel Core i5 3550s | Asus P8B75-V | GSkill 8GB DDR3 CL7 1333MHz | MSI 660Ti Power Edition | Wetern Digital Green 2TB | Intel 330 128GB SSD | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo | Corsair TX650V2 | CM Gladiator 600 | Logitech G500 | Steelseries QcK Mass | Logitech Z506 | Samsung 40EH5000 LED TV
vasishta.sushant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09   #3
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Rig Gallery

stonedsurd is extremely Renowned
stonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renowned

Holy sheepshit!
65% of the UNIX market share!
That's $11 billion!

Damn right, they're going to have to face scrutiny.
stonedsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09   #4
teh geeK!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

prajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famed

oh I'll get more competition now. I'm on microsoft's side

---------------------------------------------------------
Home : Core i5 3470, Z77, 4x4 GB Corsair Vengeance, Corsair 400R
Travel & Work : Dell Latitude E6320

prajith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09   #5
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
trolling around

baba doga is Notable

i can see why IBM was investing bigtime in j2ee all this time. i just don't want open jdk to be murdured. other related open source projects will be murdered deffo tho!

*makes it a point to start learning eclipse and WAS*
baba doga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-09   #6
dattebayo!
Community Moderator
Kaizoku Ou Ni Ore Wa Naru

Rig Gallery

Prash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly Famed

Originally Posted by rpm19050 View Post
i can see why IBM was investing bigtime in j2ee all this time. i just don't want open jdk to be murdured. other related open source projects will be murdered deffo tho!

*makes it a point to start learning eclipse and WAS*
lol...you do make a valid point there
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-09   #7
teh spamm[E]R!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
-

Rig Gallery

Free Radical is extemely Distinguished
Free Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely Distinguished

this is very bad
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply