Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Articles > Tutorials and Guides
Register Forgot Password?
Follow Erodov on Twitter Follow Us
Join us on FaceBook Join Us
Post New Article  Comment

Article Tools Search this Article
iBall Tarang 2.1 Review, Modding and Use with Mobile
iBall Tarang 2.1 Review, Modding and Use with Mobile
Use your mobile's audio output with any standard amplifier
Date: 30-06-11
Topic: Tutorials and Guides
Author: npsingh123

Index
Home 
Modding a MTK based headphone cable to use standard audio jack

Modding a MTK based headphone cable to use standard audio jack

This will enable you to use your high-end headphones or speaker set to play your MP3 etc. MTK is the most common chipset used in generic mobiles. Most phones have mobiles but they need to have the headphones connected to start the FM subsystem. All we need to put a small load on the headphone output to make the mobile happy and believe that the headphones are connected.

You need to find a spare headphone to cut. They have a central portion where you can speak in the microphone and also mute it if needed. You also need a headphone jack. Since I cannot find a name for this, you can ask for an Audio extension socket and show the image

Mic Capsule split open

You have two choices. You can put the resistor in the audio jack or the Capsule. Since I will never use my mobile when driving etc, I decided to sacrifice the capsule + 15 cm from the headphone cable. Soldering two resistors in the Audio jack is harder of the two.

How a new Audio connector looks like

Resistor soldered. This will be wrapped in tape and the capsule re-sealed.

Audio cable to feed into an amp/Soundcard etc

Ground, Left and Right soldered in place

Open the capsule on the headphone cord and remove the parts there. We don't need the parts to the right of the capsule so cut them after say 15cm. These headphone cables are coated so you need some patience and a rather hot soldering iron. You need to connect the Audio Jack to the cables. Ground to the outer terminal and one to left and other to the right.Identify which is the ground cable and which two are the sound output cables (Left/Right). Connect a 2k resistor (value is not important but I tested it with a 2k piece) between the ground and either of the headphone wires. On one of the cables, your mobile should say "Headphoned connected". You can just one resistor but I have found that some mobiles use left side and some use right side to detect a connected headphone. You can use two resistors and make a universal cable.

Part 3
You need to buy a two sided cable. Connect one end to the blue hole in sound card and one to the mobile. You can use the Windows XP mixer to control the volumes along with Mobile and the External speakers. This will enable you to use the same speaker for FM and PC though if you want to play only FM then you need to make a small external mixer. That is a project for another day.

Disclaimer: This modification voids the warranty and is operates on mains voltage.

JD666 and bigb123 like this.

Index
Home 

Tools
Add to npsingh123's Karma
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
<<  <    (Page 3 of 3)    > >>
By MOZ 24-07-11
Re: iBall Tarang 2.1 Review, Modding and Use with Mobile

Nice VFM speakers and great jugaad!
By SidK!! 24-07-11

Nice guide but how is this a review?
By npsingh123 24-07-11

It is not much of a review but I wanted to tell that these speakers are very good for the price. My focus was on the modding part.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

The external jugaad is not needed for Mobiles which output in a Mini B usb File:Types-usb new.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . But for other types like older spice and other models it may still make sense.

And yes, these are VFM speakers indeed.

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Actually it is a Mini A USB.
By JD666 28-07-11

whats the RMS output of this system like? Im planning to use this to power a 5 inch sub with a 120-150 hz LPF. you think it will work???
By npsingh123 28-07-11

Sub-Woofer RMS Power: 20 Watts RMS max.
Satellite RMS Power: 10 Watts RMS each
Total RMS Power Output: 40 Watts RMS max.

It will of course work. How well is not clear at this stage.

But in case you want to goto that lengths then there must be several cheaper kits in India. You may also try a gainclone.
Post New Article  Comment
Please share with friends!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search