Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > General Hardware and Peripherals
Register Forgot Password?

Old 12-11-09   #1
Banned
I havent set my status yet.

I want to go micro.

Hi All...

its been in my mind for sometime...

My room is a mess ..half the side is filled with PC stuff...I always did hated the look of my cabby..its a iball one. Dont want to upgrade to one better either. I dont want the whole mess anymore. Its getting really boring to me.

When my relatives come from abroad and show pics, i always see their room. SO DAMN CLEAN. I cant keep mine clean enough. always gets dirty. I am a clean freak btw. I want the whole thing to look simple yet powerful enough for my needs.

And i recently got a cabbie from Zoheb or @toxicdrift, APEX MI-100. ITS JUST TOO GOOD LOOKING. I put it on sale, and my heart broke and i am gonna pull it from the sale. .

So with all that whining apart, lets talk business.

I want to go mATX. want one to be my main PC. Not a File/Print/Web server or a HTPC

My current config is give in my siggy. its a old E6750, Intel DP35DP, 2GB RAM, 8800GT OC. my uses are LOTS of movie watching, YES FULL HD also, web surfing, Occasional programming and Occasional gaming. I got consoles for my gaming needs.

Can i get a Zotac ION and replace my PC. will that be enough?. which model from Zotac?. the A-E ?.
Can it do all my current PC does. Anways a laptop is in plan also, so ill be doing the coding stuff in that hopefully.
Is it available in india with warranty? I heard its a 1 year warranty, why is that? usually its 3 years r8?
And can i use my X-Fi in it?..or is the onboard sound enough?

Is the decision wise. I just want to avoid the clutter and get a more cleaner, tidier look, but that doesnt mean it should sacrifice a lot.

Please give ur suggestions.

Jerin
|PC - Dell Inspiron 15R - i3 M530 | 3GB DDR3 | 320GB | ATi 5470 512MB | WD My Passport 500GB | Edifier R600USB | MS Mobile 3500 | CM NotePal X-Lite| D/L - D410PT | 1GB DDR3 | 500GB | APEX MI-100| HTPC - AMD A6 3500 | MSI A75MA-G55 | 4GB DDR3 | CM Elite 431 Plus | OCZ Agility 3 60 GB SSD | CM Real Power 750 | A/V - Samsung LA32D550K1R | Optoma GT720 | Logitech Mini PC Entertainment Dinovo Keyboard | AOC i2353PH | PS3 80GB | XBOX 360 Arcade | Z5500D | 25 TB | Logitech MOMO Wheel | APC 1KV | Click - Canon 500D + BG | 18-55 IS | MC-36R | Vanguard Up-Rise 16Z | Lowepro Fastpack 350 | Portable - Clip+ 4GB + 16 GB + MEElectronics M6 | Nexus 4 8GB | PS Vita 3G | iPod Touch 5G 32 GB | Kindle Paperwhite | AudioTechnica M50 |
m-JeRi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09   #2
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

stonedsurd is extremely Renowned
stonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renowned
Re: I want to go micro.

First off, the Ion is not mATX, it's mITX. Whole different ballgame in size.

Secondly, it'll perform a good deal worse than your old rig but it will do what you require of it, besides gaming. It might handle casual games but full scale DX10 goodies will choke and die. Like you said - you have a console, so don't really bother with gaming on Ion.

Coming to sound. The Zotac doesn't have an expansion slot, so no, you won't be able to use your X-Fi on it. Onboard sound is okay, but coming from a soundcard to that would be like a step backwards.

Personally, I think you should go with one of the Zotac 9300 IGP boards, but in mATX. That way you can sell your current video card, and carry over the rest of your components. The advantages to this are the availability of both PCIe and PCI slots for any future expansion needs (RAID, sound, TV tuner, GPU etc). Get a nice elegant mATX case (CM makes some neat Elite series cases specifically for mATX) and you're all set.

EDIT: This is the board I'm talking about - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813500019
stonedsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09   #3
Banned

m-JeRi is highly Admirablem-JeRi is highly Admirablem-JeRi is highly Admirablem-JeRi is highly Admirablem-JeRi is highly Admirable

Well... i am talking abt the size of my old intel 945GCLF... if its mini then mini..or if its micro then micro .. ...

Just wanted a nice name for thread.

Then what could be the perfect small factor solution?
Old 12-11-09   #4
Banned

m-JeRi is highly Admirablem-JeRi is highly Admirablem-JeRi is highly Admirablem-JeRi is highly Admirablem-JeRi is highly Admirable

hw abt these 2?

Newegg.com - ZOTAC GF9300-D-E LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9300 HDMI Wi-Fi Mini ITX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - ZOTAC GF9300-G-E LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9300 HDMI Mini ITX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

i can use pretty much everything except for the GPU and it got Wifi..i need that.
Old 12-11-09   #5
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

stonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renowned

Originally Posted by m-JeRi View Post
Well... i am talking abt the size of my old intel 945GCLF... if its mini then mini..or if its micro then micro .. ...

Just wanted a nice name for thread.

Then what could be the perfect small factor solution?
If you want to preserve the form factor of the Atom, then you'll have to get a mITX board. The entire last paragraph of my earlier reply is redundant

I would recommend the Zotac 9300. It has onboard wifi, HDMI out and a single PCIe slot (is your X-Fi PCI or PCIe?). You can drop in your current CPU/RAM or buy something new - that's your call.

This is what it looks like:
http://www.erodov.com/forums/project...tml#post376475
Old 12-11-09   #6
Banned

XFi --> PCI

and i need to consider the form factor... wether with all the heat sinks if it fit in my case... then only i am going for it.. ..
Old 12-11-09   #7
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

You *might* need a low-profile cooler to fit the case. I can't tell from the pics but the clearance between the PSU and the mobo tray isn't that much. Just for reference sake, the Intel stock cooler is about 75mm tall. If the distance between the CPU surface and the PSU is more than that, you're good to go.

Anyway, smaller coolers aren't that hard to find and are pretty cheap. It's worth it just for the performance gain over embedded chips, IMO.
Old 12-11-09   #8
Banned

ok..so u think this mobo will be enough for me..provided i take a low profile cooler for the proccy?
which one is the best mobo?.. u sure it be a fit in my cabbie??

D-E or G-E ???... whats the difference?
Old 12-11-09   #9
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

D-E has wifi, G-E does not.
Old 12-11-09   #10
teh geeK!
[E]onian

toxicdrift is highly Admirabletoxicdrift is highly Admirabletoxicdrift is highly Admirabletoxicdrift is highly Admirabletoxicdrift is highly Admirabletoxicdrift is highly Admirabletoxicdrift is highly Admirable

stock coolers fit just fine in the case... here's one with refrence with the mobo stone suggested.. u can fit alot of aftermarket ones aswell ..

Zotac Geforce 9300 WiFi mini-ITX mobo+ casing...CHEAP~~~ - VRForums - IT & Singapore Lifestyle Community

if u want a different cooler for better cooling lemme know... i can find that too.. what stone has suggested is pretty much the way 2 go.. might end up with a good hackintosh build aswell.. though i remember one of my friends tellin me something about the wifi or sound not working on the zotacs.. i forgot now. i remember finding out about this mobo before i went the mbp way.. i was gonna build a hack osx machine aswell for my daily downloads lol good ur keeping the case.. its a good one

also a good thread for the board n what works n what doesnt..

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1384187

have fun reading jeri
Old 12-11-09   #11
Banned

I am getting D-E for 5750, 3 yrs warranty ... i think its ok..i guess??
Old 12-11-09   #12
Banned

@toxic..

THATS IT...fixed..getting the mobo... hehheheheh
Old 12-11-09   #13
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

Originally Posted by m-JeRi View Post
I am getting D-E for 5750, 3 yrs warranty ... i think its ok..i guess??
Go for it eyes closed. It's $140 in the US and this is cheaper
Old 12-11-09   #14
teh geeK!
[E]onian

toxicdrift is highly Admirabletoxicdrift is highly Admirabletoxicdrift is highly Admirabletoxicdrift is highly Admirabletoxicdrift is highly Admirabletoxicdrift is highly Admirabletoxicdrift is highly Admirable

u know u can use ur 6750 + 8800 gt with this board.. just switch the psu to a seasonic one.. its the exact same size and round 350W i think

TR's summer 2009 system guide - The Tech Report - Page 10

Newegg.com - SeaSonic SS-350SFE 350W SFX12V V3.1 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

just see if its fits though.. coz i think the techreport build they used a low profile 8800gt
toxicdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09   #15
Banned

No way my 8800GT will fit..its a dual slot one....

What i want to know...or lets say..I NEED to know is my sound card... can i fit that??..no i guess ..
Post New Thread  Reply