Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Everything Under the Sun
Register Forgot Password?

Old 14-08-13   #1
teh geeK!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Icon9 Huge Blow to Indian Navy As Submarine Explodes with 18 Men

MUMBAI: The Indian Navy suffered a huge blow Wednesday when a frontline submarine exploded and sank here at dawn with 18 sailors after two explosions turned it into a deadly ball of fire.

The deep sea attack vessel INS Sindhurakshak, recently refurbished in Russia, suffered an unexplained explosion just after Tuesday midnight and an immediate deafening blast heard almost in the whole of south Mumbai.

Naval officials said the rapid spread of the blaze and the intensity of the explosions left the trapped 18 sailors, including three officers, with apparently no chance of escaping.

"We cannot rule out sabotage," Navy chief Admiral DK Joshi told the media after defence minister AK Antony visited the disaster site at the Mumbai naval dock.

"But indications at this point do not support the (sabotage) theory," he said. "At this point of time we are unable to put a finger on what exactly could have gone wrong."

An inquiry set up to probe the disaster will submit its report within four weeks.

It was the worst disaster to hit the Indian Navy, which has increasingly sought to dominate the expansive Indian Ocean region with blue water operational capability.

The incident came two days after India acquired its first indigenous aircraft carrier, INS Vikrant. The past week also saw the nuclear reactor that propels Arihant, the country's first ballistic missile submarine, going critical.

TV grabs of the incident and amateur video shots showed a huge ball of flame erupting on the horizon of the Mumbai harbour and lasting for nearly three hours before it was brought under control around 3am.

The vessel eventually sank around dawn with the 18 officers and sailors.

Admiral Joshi appeared to indicate that all of them may have perished when he said: "We hope for the best and prepare for the worst."

By afternoon, Navy divers had entered the sunk vessel after forcing open the jammed hatch.

Joshi ruled out any link between Wednesday's incident and a 2010 accident INS Sindhurakshak had suffered.

The Mumbai Fire Brigade managed to avert a greater tragedy by saving a second submarine at the dock.

Deputy chief fire officer PS Rahandale told IANS that he saw another submarine berthed five-six metres away from the burning INS Sindhurakshak.

"We built a wall of water-jets between Sindhurakshak and the other vessel, thereby giving it a safe window to sail to safety," he said.

Admiral Joshi said any number of factors could have led to the "major catastrophe"

He said the submarine had a large stock of ammunition, fuel and oxygen water. "Any combination of any of these malfunctioning could have resulted (in the explosion)."

He said the submarine had inbuilt safety measures but "obviously they have not functioned".

In losing INS Sindhurakshak, the Navy may have lost certain key maritime capabilities but "nothing is insurmountable", former naval chief Admiral Arun Prakash, who retired in 2006, told IANS in Goa.

INS Sindhurakshak was a diesel-electric submarine that returned home last year after a major refit at Russia's Zvezdochka shipyard.

It displaces 2,300 tonnes, carries 52 crew members, has a top speed of 19 knots (35kmph) and diving depth of 300 metres.

With over 58,000 personnel, the Indian Navy boasts of a large operational fleet that includes an aircraft carrier, an amphibious transport vessel, eight guided missile destroyers, 15 frigates, a nuclear powered submarine, 14 conventional submarines, 24 corvettes, 30 patrol vessels, seven mine counter measure vessels and auxiliary ships.

News
NZXT Gamma| Gigabyte MA790GP-UD4H| Amd Phenomâ„¢ II X2 555 3.21Ghz| Amd Phenomâ„¢ II X2 550 3.21Ghz| Sumsung B2030 20'5 Inch| EVGA GTX550Ti 1GB GDDR5| ATI Radeon 4350 1GB GDDR2| 1x2Gb xms2 Corsair Gaming Boost 800MHZ| VX450 Corsair| Altec Lensing VS4121 2.1| PhilipsSHP2500, Blue 800| WD2TB, 2x500GB Caviar Green,WD 320GB| Portable 1TB, 500GB Seagate 2.0,40GB From Hitachi 2.0| CMTX3| APC Back-UPS RS 800VA 230V| Logitech Combo| Samsung 22X SATA DVD Writer, Sony 24X Sata DVD Writer| Corsair H80
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-13   #2
teh nuB!
^_^

hellgamerX is Mysterious
Re: Huge Blow to Indian Navy As Submarine Explodes with 18 Men

thx to our corrupted indian goverment..................
hellgamerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-13   #3
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

You have the guts to call on the govt in this sad moment !!

GOD is fcking crazy then !! if he is there. !

Govt does not function in between these things zzzzzz

all militaries have problems and people die !!!
Originally Posted by hellgamerX View Post

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-13   #4
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

punjab_ak47 is Notable

Oh man very sad news......
Old 14-08-13   #5
teh nuB!
^_^

hellgamerX is Mysterious

Originally Posted by ManISinJpr View Post
You have the guts to call on the govt in this sad moment !!

GOD is fcking crazy then !! if he is there. !

Govt does not function in between these things zzzzzz

all militaries have problems and people die !!!
bro let me remind you we have very nice and honest politicians in our goverment which earn profits by decreasing the quality of product used by our respected indian army..........like bullet proof jackets,helicopters,guns etc..............and we all know that..........but we are just waiting for more death's which will be coming in the future.........
gsyndrome likes this.
hellgamerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-13   #6
teh nuB!
..:el jugador:..

vimal is very Notable

To those who Lost their life.
vimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-13   #7
Patient_Zero
Community Moderator
Zombie Enthusiast

realandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly Admirable

So, much for the Independence Day.

Jai Hind for those who lost their lives and for their families.
*minute of silence*
realandR3cys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-13   #8
tpi
teh nuB!
I am diabetic,are you?

tpi is Mysterious

It brings a cool feeling when a group of young Indians like you raised this topic and know the importance of such news.I am now in 40s and this gives huge relief to me that India is in safe hands as far as next generations go.You all made my day dear once!Jay Javan .
HKS likes this.
Old 15-08-13   #9
teh geeK!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r

kartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirable

if it was a human fault then they need to be punished
kartikoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-13   #10
teh priesT!
[E]onian
power cut sux

chetansha is very Notable

Originally Posted by hellgamerX View Post
Have you voted yet? Govt is always the scapegoat.... pity
chetansha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-13   #11
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Pillow Ke Neeche Choopa Ke Rak

PirtamPyaare is very Notable

No one really knows what went wrong so blaming the GOVT. is absurd.
PirtamPyaare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-13   #12
teh nuB!
[E]onian

para is Notable

The submarine was bought from Rasia ...and there was a fire incident previously also.
Then the machine was sent to Rasia for repair and upgradations. The upgrade and repair has cost gov around a very large sum ....and now this happens!!!..
para is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-13   #13
Neo[t]
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
SteelSeries SenSei <3

prateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply Great

Vessel cost 123 crores , refitting cost 156 crores more..
prateekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-13   #14
Banned

Rig Gallery

Sumonpathak is extremely Renowned
Sumonpathak is extremely RenownedSumonpathak is extremely RenownedSumonpathak is extremely Renowned

"bout time India stops outsourcing military stuff...

Cause I won't wait for the debt to be repaid

Time has come for you

Sumonpathak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-13   #15
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Pillow Ke Neeche Choopa Ke Rak

PirtamPyaare is very Notable

This happens when you buy refurbished goods. So think twice before buying used items
PirtamPyaare is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply