Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Electronics and Consumer Durables > Mobile Phones
Register Forgot Password?

Old 13-06-12   #31
Jeebus
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
forgiving your sins

Re: HTC One X...My Take (REVIEW)

There is no win or defeat.we just put forth information from what we knew, that is all.

RajaPraveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-12   #32
teh geeK!
[E]onian
....but then i got hiiight ...

superm4n is highly Famedsuperm4n is highly Famedsuperm4n is highly Famedsuperm4n is highly Famedsuperm4n is highly Famedsuperm4n is highly Famedsuperm4n is highly Famedsuperm4n is highly Famedsuperm4n is highly Famed

dont want to start this up , but how on earth is the oneX better in terms of performance ??? :S
ManISinJpr likes this.

super-rig : intel i5 2500k, msi H67MA-E35, sapphire 5850, corsair hx650, roccat kova +roccat taito MTW edition, razer blackwidow, cm690[mod in progress ] , corsair H70 , samsung 2033sw+
audio : altec lansing vs4121 , soundmagic pl-30, meelectronics m6, ultrasones HFI- 780, asus xonar dx
mobile : galaxy nexus + AOKP + franko's kernel = awsomeness
superm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-12   #33
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
Looking to Sell My Rig

devvfata1ity is very Notable

^ errr...whr did I mention that?

@raja...the slcd2 is of ips variety only. do double check on that..
2018 RIG: Core i5 8400 (3.9 ghz) | Asrock Z370 Pro4 | Adata XPG Z1G DDR4 3000 16GB | GTX 1080 Mini ( 2152 core, 11600 mem) | TX 850V2 | Force GT 120GB | 850 EVO 250 GB | WD Green 500 GB | Seagate Barracuda 500 GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Spire Thermax Eclipse II P/P | NZXT Tempest EVO |

Consoles: Xbox ONE | Xbox 360 | PS4 | PSP 3000

Smartphones: iPhone X 64GB | Galaxy Note8 64 GB| Pixel 2 64GB

Tablets: BB Playbook | Nexus 7 2013 | Ipad 2017

devvfata1ity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-12   #34
Jeebus
forgiving your sins

RajaPraveen is extemely Distinguished
RajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely Distinguished

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD
Plane Line Switching (PLS)
A new technology developed by Samsung is Super PLS, which bears similarities to IPS panels and touts improved viewing angles and image quality, increased brightness and lower production costs. PLS technology first debuted in the PC display market with the release of the Samsung S27A850 and S24A850 monitors in September 2011.[14]

S-PVA -- S-LCD (Samsung/Sony joint venture)

SLCD2 is nothing but Super Liquid Crystal Display second generation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPS_panel
A new technology named Super PLS (Plane to Line Switching) has been developed by Samsung with the intent of superseding conventional IPS. Samsung claims the following benefits of Super PLS (commonly referred to as just "PLS") over IPS:
100 percent improvement in viewing angle
10 percent increase in brightness
Up to 15 percent decrease in production costs
Increased image quality
Display resolutions up to WXGA are supported. [4]
The T700 series Android 4 model (the followup to the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime) will have a PLS display with a resolution of 1920x1200

If SLCD was IPS technology HTC would highlighted that in the spec as a selling point for their phones, the contrast on one X clearly proves that it cannot be IPS, IPS always is inferior in black levels and contrast.The SPVA does share similarity to IPS in certain ways and samsung from the beginning did not want to directly say they were using certain aspects of IPS in their SPVA because i guess using IPS means they need to pay royalty to Hitachi.

Their newer Super PLS is exactly IPS but in a different name.
ManISinJpr likes this.

Last edited by RajaPraveen; 14-06-12 at 01:02 AM.
Old 14-06-12   #35
teh geeK!
[E]onian

superm4n is highly Famedsuperm4n is highly Famedsuperm4n is highly Famedsuperm4n is highly Famedsuperm4n is highly Famedsuperm4n is highly Famedsuperm4n is highly Famedsuperm4n is highly Famedsuperm4n is highly Famed

stated anytime there is a comparison btwn the sgs3 and the one x
its not even the same ... the sgs3 is easily better than the one x =/
and the cameras are pretty much similar

ooh , and btw , both the one x and the sgs3 are made from the same material
Old 14-06-12   #36
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
Puny human

dexbg is extremely Renowned
dexbg is extremely Renowneddexbg is extremely Renowned
The OneX has the micro arc oxidation thingy back panel,

TheS3 has just a plastic back..IIRC

"I was there .. till the end"
dexbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-12   #37
teh geeK!
[E]onian

nope Polycarbonate.. which is nothing but a fancy name for plastic
used in both sgs3 and the one x
Old 14-06-12   #38
iEvangelist
GET PEBBLE.

Rig Gallery

Ad1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply Great

Yes, but the One X feels and looks like a phone worth 35,000.

Unlike the SGS3, which feels and looks like crap.
devvfata1ity likes this.
Misc : Playstation 3, Xbox 360, iPhone 5, Nexus 4, iPad (3rd gen) 32GB.
Ad1tya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-12   #39
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
Looking to Sell My Rig

Originally Posted by RajaPraveen View Post
TFT LCD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plane Line Switching (PLS)
A new technology developed by Samsung is Super PLS, which bears similarities to IPS panels and touts improved viewing angles and image quality, increased brightness and lower production costs. PLS technology first debuted in the PC display market with the release of the Samsung S27A850 and S24A850 monitors in September 2011.[14]

S-PVA -- S-LCD (Samsung/Sony joint venture)

SLCD2 is nothing but Super Liquid Crystal Display second generation

IPS panel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A new technology named Super PLS (Plane to Line Switching) has been developed by Samsung with the intent of superseding conventional IPS. Samsung claims the following benefits of Super PLS (commonly referred to as just "PLS") over IPS:
100 percent improvement in viewing angle
10 percent increase in brightness
Up to 15 percent decrease in production costs
Increased image quality
Display resolutions up to WXGA are supported. [4]
The T700 series Android 4 model (the followup to the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime) will have a PLS display with a resolution of 1920x1200

If SLCD was IPS technology HTC would highlighted that in the spec as a selling point for their phones, the contrast on one X clearly proves that it cannot be IPS, IPS always is inferior in black levels and contrast.The SPVA does share similarity to IPS in certain ways and samsung from the beginning did not want to directly say they were using certain aspects of IPS in their SPVA because i guess using IPS means they need to pay royalty to Hitachi.

Their newer Super PLS is exactly IPS but in a different name.
This is from the same site you are referencing. plz have a read

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Htc_one_x
This is from notebookcheck

Review HTC One S vs. HTC One X (Tegra 3) Smartphone - Notebookcheck.net Reviews
Old 14-06-12   #40
teh priesT!
[E]onian
Daytona 675 ftw-_-

nitinbalyan is very Honorablenitinbalyan is very Honorable

@devvfata1ity
I got my HTC Titan a week back from USA and its a best smartphone running Mango 7.5 out of the box.
But I have also same issue of 1 stuck pixel which changes color on all backgrounds except on black, it looks green and it is so minute that no1 can easily find it. So I am not bothering about it.
I think its a known issue for all HTC cellphones . They are using cheap quality displays. Apart from that I am loving my Titan. True VFM. Only 280$
ManISinJpr likes this.
nitinbalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-12   #41
Jeebus
forgiving your sins

RajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely Distinguished

devvfata1ity

It either has to be SLCD2 or some other IPS panel, the wiki link does not talk anything about SLCD2.The other link is one of the many review i've already read where they simply say its IPS(assuming every better looking screen has to be IPS) with no concrete evidence.

the review also sates :

HTC calls the screen the "SLCD2" - in essence, it is an IPS panel..

Which is wrong, HTC does not call the screen SLCD2 they rather buy it from samsung,SLCD and SLCD2 are samsung trademarks since late 2010.

Anyways i will do a bit research and find what technology this SLCD2 uses and post here if i find any.
Old 14-06-12   #42
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
Looking to Sell My Rig

Originally Posted by RajaPraveen View Post
devvfata1ity

It either has to be SLCD2 or some other IPS panel, the wiki link does not talk anything about SLCD2.The other link is one of the many review i've already read where they simply say its IPS(assuming every better looking screen has to be IPS) with no concrete evidence.

the review also sates :

HTC calls the screen the "SLCD2" - in essence, it is an IPS panel..

Which is wrong, HTC does not call the screen SLCD2 they rather buy it from samsung,SLCD and SLCD2 are samsung trademarks since late 2010.

Anyways i will do a bit research and find what technology this SLCD2 uses and post here if i find any.
I pulled up the display vendor of my phone and its sony. By asking people over at xda and at anandtech I found out that there are three vendors that htc is using, acer, sharp & sony. anand did a panel type check for the different vendor screens and he concluded that all are basically ips derivatives.
Again I might be wrong and I am pretty sure you will chose to ignore what I have stated. In any case I cant make you agree to something that you are averse to.

Last edited by devvfata1ity; 14-06-12 at 01:01 PM.
Old 14-06-12   #43
Jeebus
forgiving your sins

They call it Sony's panel because SLCD used to be Sony-Samsung joint venture but not anymore. Sony never makes or manufactures IPS panel however they do buy IPS panels from Hitachi to use in their high end pro monitors. Sony and Samsung always wanted to make their SPVA more famous in consumer levels because SPVA has superior contrast and blacks compared to IPS, but off lately Sony has switched to sharp ASV panels for most of their high end products.

Sony's recent top of the line phone xperia S uses sharp's ASV panel and it suffers from very poor viewing angle but does have good PPI, Sony entered into a joint venture with sharp after they broke their partner ship with Samsung, now a few months ago they again broke their partnership with sharp to concentrate more on OLED.

AFAIK HTC uses Samsung,LG and Sharp panels, i am not sure if acer even manufactures their own LCD panels.

I do like the onex, i even used it for an hour and wrote what i felt about it here.
One X Vs 4S ? Braingoing Crazy?

I don't and never have liked LCD because i don't like displays which uses back lighting.
Old 14-06-12   #44
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.

vaibhavl is Mysterious

Nice review!!!!! but one question!! Why won't anyone go for galaxy SIII??? and go for HTC ONE X???
vaibhavl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-12   #45
Jeebus
forgiving your sins

Originally Posted by vaibhavl View Post
Why won't anyone go for galaxy SIII??? and go for HTC ONE X???
You mean they should buy both? wouldn't that be a slight over kill?
Post New Thread  Reply