Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Cooling and Overclocking
Register Forgot Password?

Old 02-03-08   #1
Tiger Style
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Dont buy HIS products

how to reduce fan speed

guys i have a amigo 80 mm fan which have a noice level of 25db and this is to much to bear in the nights couse my bed is just 1.5 feet away from my pc
so is there a way i can reduce the fan speed or noise of my fan any volt mode or something?

VGA:HIS R9280X 3gb
Monitor:BENQ 22"
MB:Socket 1155 - GA-H77-DS3H
CPU:i7 3770
Sound:M-Audio Audiophile 2496
Speakers: Edifier C2 2.1
Memory: 8 Gb Corsair
PSU: Cooler Master G600 80 Plus
HDD: 160 + 250 + 320 gb Seagate
Cooling: Antec C40
Chassis: CM 690

Mav3ricK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08   #2
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Rig Gallery

Aragorn is extremely Renowned
Aragorn is extremely RenownedAragorn is extremely RenownedAragorn is extremely Renowned
Re: how to reduce fan speed

^ Get a fan controller if u r driving it directly from smps. And if it is connected to MOBO, then try to look for the aux fan settings through the mobo software.

How is it connected ????
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08   #3
Shock-N-Awe™

NashX is highly AdmirableNashX is highly AdmirableNashX is highly AdmirableNashX is highly AdmirableNashX is highly AdmirableNashX is highly Admirable

Fan Controller is the best opt.
NashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08   #4
Tiger Style
Dont buy HIS products

Mav3ricK is highly AdmirableMav3ricK is highly AdmirableMav3ricK is highly AdmirableMav3ricK is highly AdmirableMav3ricK is highly AdmirableMav3ricK is highly AdmirableMav3ricK is highly Admirable

yar fan controller is little expensive option tell me about some cheaper options and my fan is directly connectrd with smps
Old 02-03-08   #5
teh nuB!
[E]onian
Online Via Nevdroid

NeViLLe is highly ReputableNeViLLe is highly ReputableNeViLLe is highly ReputableNeViLLe is highly Reputable

Originally Posted by manpreetsingh46 View Post
yar fan controller is little expensive option tell me about some cheaper options and my fan is directly connectrd with smps
Not all Fan controllers are expensive... you could get these... if you wanne control just one or two fans...
primeabgb - Fan Controller Sunbeam
NeViLLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08   #6
iEvangelist
GET PEBBLE.

Rig Gallery

Ad1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply Great

What motherboard? If you have attached the fan with a 3-pin connecter on the mobo, then you may be bake to use a software or bios to control it
Ad1tya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08   #7
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
DoTA2 Anyone?

deadsix is highly Admirabledeadsix is highly Admirabledeadsix is highly Admirabledeadsix is highly Admirabledeadsix is highly Admirabledeadsix is highly Admirable

A molex conector direct smps fan huh?

Case cooling? I guess if ur on the bed, then the PC is on with downloads/torrents (wouldnt be movies, then the fan wouldav been drowned out )

u dont need the case fan then, system should run cool without (unless u crunch or fold), so disconnect it (unless ur one of those "oh im so tidy, my pc case is closed, i dunno y ppl keep theirs open" kinda guys an cant open ur pc each time )

anyways, that controller neville posted is a gr8 option, heck 137Rs/- is almost what ull hafta pay for a 80mm fan itself
Old 02-03-08   #8
teh nuB!
[E]onian

Raghunandan is highly AdmirableRaghunandan is highly AdmirableRaghunandan is highly AdmirableRaghunandan is highly AdmirableRaghunandan is highly AdmirableRaghunandan is highly Admirable

That controller wont work with fans that have a molex connector only. You need a controller that can adjust the voltage to the fan based on some regulator.

Raghu.
Raghunandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08   #9
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

janitha is highly Reputablejanitha is highly Reputablejanitha is highly Reputable

Originally Posted by Raghunandan View Post
That controller wont work with fans that have a molex connector only. You need a controller that can adjust the voltage to the fan based on some regulator.

Raghu.
It is not even actually available @ Prime and has been on their "Coming Soon" section for the past several months. This is what I have done. My two front inlet fans were very noisy. (Antec Pro 80mm) So I changed the voltage to 7V by connecting them to the yellow and red wires of the molex. Now there is very little noise even though the speed and cfm are reduced. There are of course arguments that such a connection is not advisable, but I have not noticed any problem for the past several months.
janitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08   #10
Addict......

HailStonE is highly AdmirableHailStonE is highly AdmirableHailStonE is highly AdmirableHailStonE is highly AdmirableHailStonE is highly AdmirableHailStonE is highly Admirable

You can make a switch for the fan & switch it off during night.... It could be a toggle switch installed in front so no lights & no movement... total silence....

Hell Is Empty........ Devils Are Here..
-
William Shakespeare

HailStonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08   #11
Tiger Style
Dont buy HIS products

Mav3ricK is highly AdmirableMav3ricK is highly AdmirableMav3ricK is highly AdmirableMav3ricK is highly AdmirableMav3ricK is highly AdmirableMav3ricK is highly AdmirableMav3ricK is highly Admirable

@janitha and racy1
dudes thanks your suggestions are most appropriate to me i will tell you wen its done
Old 02-03-08   #12
teh nuB!
[E]onian
Online Via Nevdroid

NeViLLe is highly ReputableNeViLLe is highly ReputableNeViLLe is highly ReputableNeViLLe is highly Reputable

Originally Posted by janitha View Post
It is not even actually available @ Prime and has been on their "Coming Soon" section for the past several months. This is what I have done. My two front inlet fans were very noisy. (Antec Pro 80mm) So I changed the voltage to 7V by connecting them to the yellow and red wires of the molex. Now there is very little noise even though the speed and cfm are reduced. There are of course arguments that such a connection is not advisable, but I have not noticed any problem for the past several months.
Jeezzz... I'd tried that long back on my P4... and after sometime I smelt something burning in my PC...
I actually ended up screwing up the 3 pin chassis fan header on the mobo
NeViLLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08   #13
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
DoTA2 Anyone?

deadsix is highly Admirabledeadsix is highly Admirabledeadsix is highly Admirabledeadsix is highly Admirabledeadsix is highly Admirabledeadsix is highly Admirable

^^^ strange

i run all my five case fans ( 80mm's i ripped outta defunct PSU'd at the local computer store damn im cheap ) off of the mobo headers, just made header connectors outta CD-ROM audio cables (again, local computer store )
no burning or anything...

anyways, i guess janitha meant straightaway connectin it off the molex wires, where do the mobo headers figure there?

anyways, look up DIY's for controllers if u REALLY want the fan to run! Otherwise make a switch like racy1 said!
deadsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08   #14
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

janitha is highly Reputablejanitha is highly Reputablejanitha is highly Reputable

Originally Posted by NeViLLe View Post
Jeezzz... I'd tried that long back on my P4... and after sometime I smelt something burning in my PC...
I actually ended up screwing up the 3 pin chassis fan header on the mobo
Pl read my post. How can a fan or two connected to the molex damage your Mobo?

BTW, there is another thing he can do. (which also I have tried) He can connect two fans in series and each will get 6V and will run slower than the 7V connection I have mentioned.

But in this case, make sure that both fans have similar specifications, especially ampere rating.

Last edited by janitha; 02-03-08 at 05:30 PM.
janitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08   #15
Tiger Style
Dont buy HIS products

ya i had done the two fan connected in series on my 6600gt long back and it worked fine may be i am gona do that it will increase the airflow too
Post New Thread  Reply