Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Articles > Tutorials and Guides
Register Forgot Password?
Follow Erodov on Twitter Follow Us
Join us on FaceBook Join Us
Post New Article  Comment

Article Tools Search this Article
How to Mod Your APC BP500in UPS to Work 4.5 Times Longer
Work on your desktop for 80 minutes without power
Date: 21-06-11
Topic: Tutorials and Guides
Author: npsingh123

Pros:
Will give good quality power supply not possible by several inverters. Will enable you to run a PC for 4.5 times as longer as a normal UPS.

Cons:
Need to spend 3500 INR. Need to have Electronics skills. Will void the warranty. Can be dangerous.
Index
First steps 
Index

Imagine the power has failed once again and you are still able to watch the movie fully before going to work, or can finish the download/upload. This is not perfect but is somewhat better than what you get with a UPS coming from APC. Bangalore power supply is highly erratic and this is due to lots of IT companies operating in the city. Remember, if you switch off your PC when you leave for home then after one hour you can probably start your home PC on mains power because the power plant has an upper maximum limit. It is about time that you need to blame politicians and start accepting your own role in power shortage in the country.

This hurried up article is about APC BP500i UPS modding. This UPS was chosen because I happened to have it. Of course, It is not the only UPS that can be modded but this one is a voltage sensing UPS and not a charge / coulomb counting UPS. A coulomb counting UPS would shutdown after giving out a certain amount of factory programmed coulombs even if the battery connected is much larger than the factory programmed one. You can learn to reprogram that type on APC-fix.com

I may be able to offer tips on other APC UPS because I ended up buying schematics for them from a Polish site

This is the Final view of the UPS. You can ignore the Molex connectors coming out of the UPS because they were not used.

Index
First steps 

Tools
Add to npsingh123's Karma
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
<< <    Next Page: First steps (Page 1 of 4)    >  >>
By vijayninel 27-06-11
Re: How to Mod Your APC BP500in UPS to Work 4.5 Times Longer

Nice tutorial. I had thought of doing this myself.
By ManISinJpr 27-06-11

Very nice tutorial, I wanted to do something like this for so long..
will give it a try on my apc model...
By JD666 27-06-11

good job... you can buy a cheap battery charge meter from dealextreme or something to monitor the level of charging in your battery. That should be useful.
By npsingh123 27-06-11

A simple DMM should give the same performance as a uncalibrated charge meter (I guess most would just measure the voltage).

Also, if someone is really interested then he may remove this switch and replace it by a relay which would cut out when the voltage reaches say 14 v. This is so simple to implement that I am not sure why so many UPS just use simple, one stage battery chargers.
By SpaceVoid 27-06-11

Just awesome tut. I have the same UPS running for the past 8 years, battery have been changed once, and that capacitor which gets blown off at times have been changed thrice. But the UPS is still running. Thanks for the beep part of the tutorial especially, was looking for some trick to reduce the irritating beep when power goes off.
By MOZ 29-06-11

Nice!

Will be getting an APC soon, will make this mod.
By npsingh123 29-06-11

This is not an APC specific mod. And now you can buy Sine-wave output UPS in market easily. And this is best done on an out of warranty UPS because you need to cut some cables, tracks and fit a switch in.
By MOZ 29-06-11

so I could get a cheap Luminuos or something UPS and do the hack, and it would not set me back much with the warranty thing.
By npsingh123 29-06-11

Yes, I am not sure how much they cost but my UPS has a port to exchange information to the PC. This functionality adds to the cost and does not really help apart from automatic shutdowns.

In fact other UPS maybe even better. UPS design is not much of a big thing and APC schematics are all over the net. If buying new then look at a Sukam Which UPS to buy ? - Team-BHP . There are many people who use Sinewave Inverters now because the fans make weird sounds on a non Sinewave supply.
By MOZ 29-06-11

Cool, will definitely giv this s a shot, witht the increasing power-cuts in Delhi.
By npsingh123 29-06-11

BTW APC Back UPS Pro UPS use a square wave design. Calling it a modified square wave is cheating.

Power quality from various backup devices

But higher-end models from APC try for a sinewave. APC models use good plastic but it the incompetence of other brands that has made this a market leader. Because these things are not that common in developed countries, you will not see many tests done on them.
By KiD0M4N 09-08-11

How is the power quality of a APC Smart UPS 1000W? The one without the inbuilt battery. It is build like a tank (and takes a lot of effort to lift) and I am using 2 x 60 Ah 12 V batteries with it (series, as the UPS needs 24 V.)

Been happy with this solution for now.

I wonder if I would fare bettery with a massive 24 V battery. Right now, I am getting 6-7 hours of backup with the computer on and working (overclocked to 4 Ghz with a 5870, a 24 inch monitor and lots of other gizmos powered.)
By npsingh123 09-08-11

I think you should buy an inverter. You may try Luminous brand. They are owned by the same company as APC (Schneider Electric). I am sure that they have sinewave models
By Animator 21-08-11

can I do the same with microsoft UPS too ?
Post New Article  Comment
Please share with friends!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search