Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Articles > Tutorials and Guides
Register Forgot Password?
Follow Erodov on Twitter Follow Us
Join us on FaceBook Join Us
Post New Article  Comment

Article Tools Search this Article

Old 21-06-11
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

npsingh123 is highly Reputablenpsingh123 is highly Reputablenpsingh123 is highly Reputablenpsingh123 is highly Reputable
How to Mod Your APC BP500in UPS to Work 4.5 Times Longer

How to Mod Your APC BP500in UPS to Work 4.5 Times Longer

Click here to read the entire article

Last edited by vijayninel; 27-06-11 at 01:28 PM.
By npsingh123 22-08-11
Re: How to Mod Your APC BP500in UPS to Work 4.5 Times Longer

Not sure what that is. But possibly yes.
By npsingh123 27-01-12

Originally Posted by MOZ View Post
so I could get a cheap Luminuos or something UPS and do the hack, and it would not set me back much with the warranty thing.
Luminious is now owned by same people who own APC.
Schneider Electric Buys 74% of Luminous For Around $310M | VCCircle
By ManISinJpr ♦ 14-02-12

The battery of my APC Back UPS ES 500 is also more or less dead, or is going to die soon..
so I was thinking if this can be done on that too..
Thanks !
By npsingh123 17-02-12

@ManISinJpr ♦ 99%

Inside The APC Back-UPS ES 350 | 22 of 28 for pictures

Let me locate the diagrams.
By ManISinJpr ♦ 17-02-12

^^ I am waiting...
By npsingh123 17-02-12

Sorry cannot find a diagram. But most things should be same as my UPS. Basically you connect the red wire with +ve and black with -ve.

E_Tron has done it here. Help me modify a Battery Backup - Overclockers Forums

He used deep cycle batteries . I think tubular batteries are deep cycle batteries. But as expected charging times are slow. Even he has an issue with the buzzer. Let us know how it went.
By baba doga 17-02-12

manish, can you open a new thread? and can you get the exact specs of the charging transformer on the ups, as written on it?

considering your ups is 350w , this mod may not be the best of ideas.

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

and a high MP image of the rear of the circuit board will help too.
By npsingh123 17-02-12

I am not sure what is the difference in charging circuits of e 350 and e 500 models and there is always a risk with these things.

This comment from the techrepublic link i posted above is 100% right.

Discussion on The APC Back-UPS ES 350: Disassembled (Cracking Open an APC battery backup) | TechRepublic
================================================== =====
My ES 350 has exactly the same circuit board as an ES 500 that I have in my office. Charging circuits have regulated outputs and charging a larger battery will just take a little longer. On My boat I can charge a 250 amp hour battery bank with a 30 amp charger or a 10 amp unit, the 10 amp just takes longer. Going to too large a battery s not a good idea as the battery will not get a full charge. Doubling the size or maybe three times would be as large as I would go.

Having said all this, any mods you do are at your own risk!
================================================== ===========================
By ManISinJpr ♦ 17-02-12

Yes the user did it.
I think I will try with a charger attached to the batteries..
btw, attaching a different charger ?? how to go about it..
Originally Posted by npsingh123 View Post
Sorry cannot find a diagram. But most things should be same as my UPS. Basically you connect the red wire with +ve and black with -ve.

E_Tron has done it here. Help me modify a Battery Backup - Overclockers Forums

He used deep cycle batteries . I think tubular batteries are deep cycle batteries. But as expected charging times are slow. Even he has an issue with the buzzer. Let us know how it went.

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

Although I want to do this, I think I will wait for a 1000 VA UPS to get it done, as this present ups is for my work pc..
Originally Posted by baba doga View Post
manish, can you open a new thread? and can you get the exact specs of the charging transformer on the ups, as written on it?

considering your ups is 350w , this mod may not be the best of ideas.

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

and a high MP image of the rear of the circuit board will help too.
By baba doga 17-02-12

if you want to add a charging circuit for the larger battery, do that with a dipole relay. that's exactly what i did on my ups some 8 years ago.
By npsingh123 17-02-12

Do you want to use just any charger or a proper staged charger?

This type http://product-image.tradeindia.com/...ry-Charger.jpg ? These chargers are not regulated. Also most of cost of a ups/inverter is the battery. If you are upgrading a battery then you may even buy a new inverter.
By baba doga 17-02-12

I did it the bad ass brash way. transformer hacked out of something, diodes and caps. dipole relay ofc.

two 40ah smf batteries. sold for rs. 1000 each recently.

coupling large batteries in parallel with a tiny one can cause the tiny one to get pregnant.
By npsingh123 17-02-12

Let me explain the battery pregnancy.

One battery is at 13.5 v and other is say 13.2. Internal resistance is very very low. One battery would start charging the other one at a very high rate. Battery will generate lots of H2 and O2 pretty soon and will swell up. Next stage is the cracking of battery case and acid discharge all around with a bang.
By ManISinJpr ♦ 18-02-12

SO the point is why have two batteries ??
Just have one battery and let the fun begin, the problem is that open area is quite far away from my pc...
just as this gent did on oCers..
Well here is a follow up on my project. I went out and bought two everstart deep cycle trolling motor batteries and hooked them up in parallel. No problems, the backup took to the batteries like they where its own, but as some of you suggested... the UPS's built in charger only provides like .5 amps of charge power, so charging is painfully slow. I've been getting great battery life. It ran through the 8 hour outage during Tropical Storm Matthew and the numerous smaller outages that followed. To aid recovery time manually, i went to a garage sale and bought a 6amp battery charger. I have the batteries and the charger sitting in a rubber tub outside about 10 feet away from the house with ventilation holes to prevent hydrogen build up. The UPS is inside the house and DC power is delivered via about 20 feet of speaker wire. The little buzzer inside the UPS got annoying, so i shorted the circuit to prevent it from buzzing with a little copper wire bridge.

Bottom Line:
about $140 torched
One APC battery backup warranty voided
and a lot of battery life
Originally Posted by baba doga View Post
I did it the bad ass brash way. transformer hacked out of something, diodes and caps. dipole relay ofc.

two 40ah smf batteries. sold for rs. 1000 each recently.

coupling large batteries in parallel with a tiny one can cause the tiny one to get pregnant.

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 AM ----------

Speaking simply, I just have to take out the wires and connect th ebattery, I want to do away with the internal battery and only use one external battery.. is that ok?
then I just need wires to connect and a separate charger.. it will not be used mostly as power outages are not many where I live.. but the question is, can I have two charging connections to the battery?
Originally Posted by npsingh123 View Post
Let me explain the battery pregnancy.

One battery is at 13.5 v and other is say 13.2. Internal resistance is very very low. One battery would start charging the other one at a very high rate. Battery will generate lots of H2 and O2 pretty soon and will swell up. Next stage is the cracking of battery case and acid discharge all around with a bang.
By baba doga 18-02-12

it is NOT OK to have one battery being charged by two different circuits at the same time. there are so many ways in which this can go wrong. adding a relay is necessary. i suggest that you don't remove the internal battery.
Post New Article  Comment
Please share with friends!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search