Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Storage Solutions
Register Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: How frequently do you use ALL games, movies, songs your HD?
Every day. 14 26.42%
Every week 9 16.98%
Every month 9 16.98%
I don't have time to try all the stuff on my disk 24 45.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19-12-09   #1
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.

How Many Gigs Do You REALLY Need?

Let me elaborate : Most of those with large disks will have a large part of the space allocated for entertainment - movies, songs, games etc. How much of this stuff really needs to be accessible at a moment's notice, that they can't be stored on optical storage?

Or to put it differently, on a really busy month (or any period) of pursuing entertainment, how much of this stored data will you enjoy again and again frequently to make loading an optical drive a chore?

For example, on a 160 GB HDD, you can store about 30 DVD movies. How many will you watch completely, patiently (1.5 hours X 30 movies = 45 hours), and over what interval ( 1 week, 1 month, 1 year)? Ripping and editing aside, this situation itself is worthy of consideration. Songs only makes the situation more chaotic.
Games consume more storage, but still atleast 10 games in a PC at the same time seems an excess. How many of these will you play simultaneously to warrant their installation on the disk?

To summarise :
Unlike CPU, RAM, Audio Channels, and almost everything else that is associated with a PC, a hard disk's capacity (not speed) doesn't seem to have any real advantage after a point.

This quote will be (in)famous : "160 GB should be more than enough for everyone."
OK. B. Gates analogy aside, the question is for owners of larger than 160 GB hard disks. REALLY, how many gigs do you USE?

Thanks for you time.
htnakirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-09   #2
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

shashankre is highly Prominentshashankre is highly Prominentshashankre is highly Prominent
Re: How Many Gigs Do You REALLY Need?

When i got my first PC in 2004, it had 80GB and i thought it was HUGE and would never fill it...but it was filled pretty fast.

Now i have Unlimited Broadband connection...
In 2008, got my second PC with 320GB HDD and this was filled really quick..within 6 months i added 640GB to it making it ~1TB and i thought this will be enough for the lifetime! But oh god..it wasn't turned out to be like that..!
Just today i got a new seagate 1TB HDD! Making it total ~2TB in my system now..

For the people with 1mbps unlimited connectivity and account in couple of private HD trackers, space will never be sufficient no matter how many TB they add.
Old 19-12-09   #3
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

I have more than 3 TB of storage space and still I have the need for more, the thirst is endless.

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-09   #4
teh geeK!
[E]onian
....but then i got hiiight ...

superm4n is highly Famedsuperm4n is highly Famedsuperm4n is highly Famedsuperm4n is highly Famedsuperm4n is highly Famedsuperm4n is highly Famedsuperm4n is highly Famedsuperm4n is highly Famedsuperm4n is highly Famed

dude its a personal decision

u have to yourself figure out how much space u need

super-rig : intel i5 2500k, msi H67MA-E35, sapphire 5850, corsair hx650, roccat kova +roccat taito MTW edition, razer blackwidow, cm690[mod in progress ] , corsair H70 , samsung 2033sw+
audio : altec lansing vs4121 , soundmagic pl-30, meelectronics m6, ultrasones HFI- 780, asus xonar dx
mobile : galaxy nexus + AOKP + franko's kernel = awsomeness
superm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-09   #5
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
want to upgrade mobo and procc

antonieo is highly Admirableantonieo is highly Admirableantonieo is highly Admirableantonieo is highly Admirableantonieo is highly Admirableantonieo is highly Admirable

tomorrow is different from today
DELL E2408WFP, BIOSTAR TA890GXE, AMD 550 NBE WITH ARCTIC COOLER FREEZER 7 PRO REV 2, CORSAIR VX450, VIPER 2GB, PATRIOT 2GB, WD640GB, SG 1TB, MSI NX8800GT SERIES, CREATIVE XFI PLATINUM TITANIUM, SOND DVDRW, LOGITECH Z5500, PIXEL VIEW PLAY TV PRO, GB M6800 GAMING MOUSE, COOLERMASTER 690II PLUS, LOGITECH KB

Mobile: Nokia 5800 Xpress Music
antonieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-09   #6
teh nuB!

htnakirs is highly Admirablehtnakirs is highly Admirablehtnakirs is highly Admirablehtnakirs is highly Admirablehtnakirs is highly Admirable

I think you guys simply answered the question in the subject, not the message body.

You HAVE over a TB of space. But, how much of that is filled with data that is accessed so regularly that they need to be stored on the HDD and not on optical drive. There lies the distinction between HAVING and USING the gigs.

Unlimited broadband only gets you the data. What do you do with it once it is on the disk? Use it a few times, and let it stay on consuming space rather than junking it?

HD movies consumes space, but do you really watch the entire movie again to warrant storing the entire movie rather than just the interesting bits? I mean are you so patient (and/or idle) to sit through another 1.5 hours of stuff you have already seen? Isn't it much more attractive to download newer stuff and sample that?

I think I'll add a poll to survey how much of all the gigs is spent on entertainment that is not used on a weekly basis.
htnakirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-09   #7
teh priesT!
[E]onian

Memnom is highly AdmirableMemnom is highly AdmirableMemnom is highly AdmirableMemnom is highly AdmirableMemnom is highly AdmirableMemnom is highly Admirable

The need for HDD space is intrinsically intertwined with the Internet Speed we are getting in here. All them guys who say i have xTB's of storage will undoubtedly have a minimum of 512kbps unlimited plan or similar. I still remember in the early 2000's i vehemently collected every DVD/CD game i can get as if there is no tomorrow in the fear that if i loose them i may have to pay 200 for each game. Broadband came in and i have around -0- DVDs for games. Why? cuz i can download them when i want, but that puts a cliche in the concept, i cant have the freedom to delete every game i play cuz i have to wait 2 days to download a 8GB Game or HD movie which is ridiculous but thats the way it is.

But lets say we have a minimum of 2mbps downstream then the downloading can be minimized to mere hours which in turn makes deleting the downloaded painless. As far editing and stuff goes no one has the time to do so and since HDD is so cheap now its better to get a 1TB hdd than to sit and edit stuff in my free time, which i would gladly spend with my family or with a xbox controller.

And the need for storing is strong because we *might* watch or play the game in near future which again is compounded by my first point.

160 would be more than enough if we have 8mbps Unlimited plans for 2000 bucks, hell then i wouldn't even have hdd bigger than whats needed for my os and will stream the remaining from DriveHQ or some service like that.
Old 19-12-09   #8
the rocK!
[E]onian
Positive!

Rig Gallery

Rockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly Famed

I had 1.3TB space earlier and over the months I had that kind of space I noticed I hardly watched any movies, just ended up burning DVDs for friends and boasting of 500+ movies collection, now I have 250gb only and I cherish each and every movie I download watch and delete if needed. I am happier. It’s a personal thing imo.
AMD Phenom II X2 Black Edition 560 - Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 - Corsair Vengeance 4GB - ATI R7 240 - Panasonic L42ET60D - Dell S2240L LED Monitor - 5000 GB HDD - Audio Technica M50 - FiiO E10 - Corsair VS350 - Corsair Carbide 400R.
Rockfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-09   #9
Banned
Turbo Rambo FTW

Rig Gallery

Arun.P is highly AdmirableArun.P is highly AdmirableArun.P is highly AdmirableArun.P is highly AdmirableArun.P is highly AdmirableArun.P is highly AdmirableArun.P is highly Admirable

i use I don't have time to try all the stuff on my disk

also sometimes i use per months but too lazy to check all files
MY RIG Intel 2500k oc 5.2 ghz push and pull AT Evercooler transformer Asrock z68 genZ68 Extreme4 Gen3 MBBOARD )640 gb and 1 TB and 2TB WD, 128 GB SSD OCZ sata3 leadtek Nvidia gtx 580 plus Zotac 580 GTX in SLI ready Logitech mx518 and G15 keyboard & AcerGD245HQ With Nvidia 3D vision 2 Coolmaster Slientpro 1000 watt 2x4 =8 gb ddr3 ram Corsiar Trident 1600 mhz & corsair Obsidian 800D

I am physically challenged in hearing department.
Arun.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-09   #10
teh zeuS!
[E]onian

pappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famed

Originally Posted by htnakirs View Post
the question is for owners of larger than 160 GB hard disks. REALLY, how many gigs do you USE?
How many shirts do you hv in ur wardrobe? Just 5 or 6??? I guess not....may b atleast 15-20?? Bt do u always need those 20?

The word is to "s-t-o-r-e"....nt necessarily "use" .... use may b occasional.

Quite simply, u need a vault to store ur "most precious"....all ur valued tracks, HDs, AVIs u amassed over the years....so u DO need GBs equivalent to the volume of ur treasure.

...And who wud tk a chance to store all the treasure onto optical storage??
Old 19-12-09   #11
teh priesT!
[E]onian

ReekingArchvile is highly AdmirableReekingArchvile is highly AdmirableReekingArchvile is highly AdmirableReekingArchvile is highly AdmirableReekingArchvile is highly AdmirableReekingArchvile is highly Admirable

I keep downloading Music on daily basis and have arranged them on Monthly Orders
My studio work involves downloading samples and tons of samples
I have a TV Show addiction which i keep downloading regularly
Movies and other stuff is just there for whenever i can use it

So given m internet connection and need, i need a new HDD every 8-10 months, its a loop

P.S- I hate keeping stuff on my HDD just for the keeps, movies i download and dont like get deleted instantly

Last edited by ReekingArchvile; 19-12-09 at 11:46 PM.
ReekingArchvile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-09   #12
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
600D b33ch3s

IshanSaluja is highly FamedIshanSaluja is highly FamedIshanSaluja is highly FamedIshanSaluja is highly FamedIshanSaluja is highly FamedIshanSaluja is highly FamedIshanSaluja is highly FamedIshanSaluja is highly Famed

I don't know about others but i have a 160 gb hdd... I don't play games, have around 40 gigs music, 10 gigs for ubuntu, around 25 gigs for system stuff but the rest is for all of my tv shows, movies pics etc. I download stuff, watch it, delete it. But everytime i delete something, i want to keep it even more. Some stuff i really like i write to dvds. The fact is everyone wants to develop and maintain and increase their collection, i am soon updating to 1.5 tb for the same reason. Its not always about practical reason, for most of us it is a hobby.
IshanSaluja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-09   #13
teh zeuS!
[E]onian

pappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famed

^ yeah...quite true.
pappusmailbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-09   #14
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

Aragorn is extremely Renowned
Aragorn is extremely RenownedAragorn is extremely RenownedAragorn is extremely Renowned

i have 3 TB ... and u need to understand what "seeding" means ... when u understand that ... even 3TB will seem less ..
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-09   #15
teh priesT!
[E]onian

ReekingArchvile is highly AdmirableReekingArchvile is highly AdmirableReekingArchvile is highly AdmirableReekingArchvile is highly AdmirableReekingArchvile is highly AdmirableReekingArchvile is highly Admirable

^
oh yea that!
ReekingArchvile is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply