Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Graphics Cards
Register Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: Do you benchmark?
I overclock and bench the hell outta my gpu 11 30.56%
I donít give a ratís a** to benching numbers, I only game. 13 36.11%
I donít know what to do after buying high-end gpu 3 8.33%
WTH is benching? 0 0%
I use benching as an performance indicator. 9 25.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-01-09   #1
the rocK!
[E]onian
Positive!

Rig Gallery
How important is benchmarking for you?

Hi all,
Whenever we buy new gpus we do some benches to see perfrmance difference between the previous card we had or compare it with other members. Well i thought lets have a POLL on it.
Personally i never bench and i know people who buy 15k gpu only to bench!
Only GPU benching i've done till date is in the thread started by JD.
OT spamming most welcome (or do i have a choice? ). Please give reasons why u bench or dont.
Old 18-01-09   #2
En Taro Adun
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Blank

Superfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply Great
Re: How important is benchmarking for you?

umm, i do OC how much i can , but i dont bench that much, im like the middle line between the 1st and 2nd option

Galaxy Nexus | Samsung Series 5 Chromebook running Ubuntu!
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 32GB I/O Edition
My Twitter!
My Audio Gear(Past and Present)
CanJam 2010 Pictures!!
My Last.fm Page
[E]'s Twitter!
"We all got our choices to make." "Damn Shame."
Superfrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-09   #3
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Hmm

buBleZ is highly AdmirablebuBleZ is highly AdmirablebuBleZ is highly AdmirablebuBleZ is highly AdmirablebuBleZ is highly AdmirablebuBleZ is highly Admirable

^^ +1

Intel OEM QX9650 - 4.1Ghz(410x10) @ 1.32Vcore
TRUE 120, 75C loaded
Gskill 2x2GB - 1093Mhz 5 5 4 15 @ 2.1V
ATI HD3870x2 - 875/999
Asus Rampage Formula X48
Creative X-fi Titanium
3TB HDD space
Samsung SH-203D SATA DVD drive
Thermal take Xaser VI
Tagan BZ-700 PSU
Dell 2408WFP US 24"
Logitech G15 KB
Razer Lachesis 4000dpi mouse
Sennheiser PC161
Logitech Z-5500 speakers
buBleZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-09   #4
the rocK!
[E]onian
Positive!

Rig Gallery

Rockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly Famed

oh how do i edit POLL options?
Rockfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-09   #5
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Rig Gallery

stonedsurd is extremely Renowned
stonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renowned

^^Yup
IMO, you missed the option for a middle path.
I enjoy OC'ing for the heck of it, to run a few benchmarking apps (Free ones ) but it's not THE reason why I buy good hardware :/

I'm polling for the second option though, because it's closer to my usage
stonedsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-09   #6
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

JD666 is highly ProminentJD666 is highly ProminentJD666 is highly Prominent

+++1, it seems you set the options very personally, and not lookin at others thoughts... bad bad rocky...

as for the answer - benching is important to know what you have and where you stand, and also that its the ball park with other cards, so you dont have a dud or a failing component. But numbers are not everything... you bought it to game... or enjoy a movie.. so a 50:50 for me too...
JD666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-09   #7
Unelected
Staff
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Rocky, you cannot edit the poll yourself...let me know what changes you want, and I will do it for you

On the topic.....initially I did benching only to find out how much the progress was over the previous card, driver, OS, other related hardware etc.....but later I developed a taste for doing benching for the sake of benching itself. Benching itself as a game, as fun.
Old 18-01-09   #8
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

stonedsurd is extremely Renowned
stonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renowned

^^Just add an option like "I bench for fun sometimes but I mainly buy my h/w to game"
stonedsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-09   #9
teh nuB!
[E]onian

Nitari is very HonorableNitari is very Honorable

I don’t give a rat’s a** to benching numbers, I only game. .....exception only benching when the hardware is new
Nitari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-09   #10
the rocK!
[E]onian
Positive!

Rig Gallery

Rockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly Famed

i forgot to add the option JD Uncle.
Originally Posted by JD666 View Post
+++1, it seems you set the options very personally, and not lookin at others thoughts... bad bad rocky...

as for the answer - benching is important to know what you have and where you stand, and also that its the ball park with other cards, so you dont have a dud or a failing component. But numbers are not everything... you bought it to game... or enjoy a movie.. so a 50:50 for me too...
Do what u think is best
Originally Posted by vijayninel View Post
Rocky, you cannot edit the poll yourself...let me know what changes you want, and I will do it for you

On the topic.....initially I did benching only to find out how much the progress was over the previous card, driver, OS, other related hardware etc.....but later I developed a taste for doing benching for the sake of benching itself. Benching itself as a game, as fun.
Old 18-01-09   #11
teh geeK!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

SIDHU is highly AdmirableSIDHU is highly AdmirableSIDHU is highly AdmirableSIDHU is highly AdmirableSIDHU is highly AdmirableSIDHU is highly Admirable

Benching itself as a game, as fun.
yea simple, 3D mark etc is game for me too

weird thread title, benching is important, U check 100s of review before buying anything na ?

and U know not every1 is super rich like U, and People want to extract max from their spendings.

if U dont like benching, OCing etc, get Dell PC and set eg. for others.

Why pay 2x more when U can OC to 260 to such level, where it will beat stock 280.

U dont like benching due to virtual reasons, and remember NO 1 FORCING U also.

U should have started thread abt myth of refreshing desktop, more worthy, thats annoying not benching.
BenQ T2200HD l Sony MHC VX333 + Beltrone Amplifier l L.G. H55N l Xbox 360 Controller
SIDHU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-09   #12
ਦਿਲ ਆਪਣਾ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ !!!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
I don't wanna set any status..

Rig Gallery

vasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Great

As long as my thing is working good, why should I bother ? Thats the way I think.
Intel Core i5 3550s | Asus P8B75-V | GSkill 8GB DDR3 CL7 1333MHz | MSI 660Ti Power Edition | Wetern Digital Green 2TB | Intel 330 128GB SSD | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo | Corsair TX650V2 | CM Gladiator 600 | Logitech G500 | Steelseries QcK Mass | Logitech Z506 | Samsung 40EH5000 LED TV
vasishta.sushant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-09   #13
the rocK!
[E]onian
Positive!

Rig Gallery

I respect benchmarkers! Where did i say it sux or is not important without benchmarkers we would never come to know what card is faster etc.
Originally Posted by SidhuPunjab View Post
yea simple, 3D mark etc is game for me too

weird thread title, benching is important, U check 100s of review before buying anything na ?

and U know not every1 is super rich like U, and People want to extract max from their spendings.

if U dont like benching, OCing etc, get Dell PC and set eg. for others.

Why pay 2x more when U can OC to 260 to such level, where it will beat stock 280.

U dont like benching due to virtual reasons, and remember NO 1 FORCING U also.

U should have started thread abt myth of refreshing desktop, more worthy, thats annoying not benching.

Last edited by Rockfella; 18-01-09 at 08:51 PM.
Old 18-01-09   #14
dattebayo!
Community Coordinator
Kaizoku Ou Ni Ore Wa Naru

Rig Gallery

Prash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly FamedPrash is highly Famed

In my case, i generally game less. Let me tell you one secret, i am yet to play Crysis and Crysis Warhead. But when my new card came, i did install Crysis. But instead playing or even starting the game, i ran Crysis Benchmark to get to know the actual level of the card i got

And i love benching, may it be 3D mark benching apps, or some other, i love to stare at those numbers. And the fun you get when the numbers start to increase, once you start overclocking bit by bit is awesome.....I had a 6200TC few years ago, and i think i had experimented with it the most! it was my first nvidia card, and had a passive heat sink. I benched it, after that made it active with fans tied to it, then clocked it way too high, and for a long time kept on trying to increase the numbers of the card...even with the recent 8600GT of mine, i have never played much, but have benched it even with 3DMark 03

But a suggestion to those who are way too concerned about their investment in a GPU or any other HW as such - you better not bench. Because if the scores you get are quite less compared to scores of other cards, you will be disheartened a bit and you will get a disease called i-wanna-upgrade-laria

Guide to write an Article at [E]
(And win prizes !)

"Well done is better than well said"

Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-09   #15
teh geeK!
[E]onian
DotA 2 FoReVeR!!!!!!!!!!!

Th3 KiNg is highly AdmirableTh3 KiNg is highly AdmirableTh3 KiNg is highly AdmirableTh3 KiNg is highly AdmirableTh3 KiNg is highly AdmirableTh3 KiNg is highly AdmirableTh3 KiNg is highly Admirable

I bench because i want to know where my card stands compared to other similar cards and am i getting the performance thats expected or not or its too low. As was in the previous case when my 4850 was scoring lower compared to vijay's 9600gt. Found the cause to be overheating and now i have cleaned the GPU and the scores are much better than last time.

Btw why the rat's a**? Personal favorite?

Shiny new Connection

Core2Duo E7200 @ Stock, ABIT IP35-E, GeCube ATI HD 4850 (DEAD),
2GB Transcend 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 80GB Seagate SATA, Seagate 500 GB 7200.12,
Corsair VX450W

Dell Studio 1558: Core i5 460M, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Seagate 7200rpm, ATI Mobility HD5470.
Th3 KiNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply