Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Storage Solutions
Register Forgot Password?

Old 08-02-12   #16
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.

Did any of the three places you tried make a sector by sector copy of ur drive? That's the first rule of data recovery.get ur drive imaged by sector to sector copy first.if possible .you r supposed to attempt recovery on a image on a healthy drive.if u have raw data u can send it to different guys for analysis and quotes.or can attempt recovery yourself.

drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-12   #17
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble
Re: (HELP) Data Recovery Services

I told oyu they are expensive.....
but this takes the cake !!

NOW read carefully, tell them that you want the HDD back in the same condition as it was and that you will check the seals on the hdd..
then they will say something and you will keep on insisting that you want it back as another company will do the recovery but only of the drive that is unopened !!!
then they will go down some more, but you stick to your stand and try to sound as if you want the hdd back but wait for them to come down !!!
Originally Posted by malcolmcg View Post
lol, this is as funny as it gets
they jus sent me a mail quotation.
they quoted 70k
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
cant really stop laughin
n they want 50% advance
any idea wat i shud do now?

That s true but I don't think the OP did that !! as the hdd was not being recopgnized even at bios level !!
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Did any of the three places you tried make a sector by sector copy of ur drive? That's the first rule of data recovery.get ur drive imaged by sector to sector copy first.if possible .you r supposed to attempt recovery on a image on a healthy drive.if u have raw data u can send it to different guys for analysis and quotes.or can attempt recovery yourself.

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-12   #18
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

malcolmcg is very Honorablemalcolmcg is very Honorable

so far i hav only tried stellar info. they asked me to courrier the drive well packed to them along with one of a form filled which they had emailed to me. they said that if anyone had previously opened the hdd then i wud hav to pay them 2.5k for inspection or else it wud be free (which was the case) & they wud giv quote only after evaluating. after they recvd the hdd they sent me a query regarding folder, sub-folder names, file system type, file types. had given them similar info in their form which i had sent with hdd earlier. they also mentioned that hdd is not detecting in BISO or in windows. so i wrote back to them the folder, sub-folder names & that files were all *.jpeg & also that hdd wasnt detecting in windows after it had fallen.

Originally Posted by drsingh View Post

on the form they had already taken permission for opening the hdd. but i will do as u hav said n c how things turns out. hope they are not reading this atm
they need 35k advance(50%) & for their recovery rate % they hav put "cannot determine" which sounds scary too
wat a business, makin $ outta anothers misery

Originally Posted by ManISinJpr View Post
I told oyu they are expensive.....
but this takes the cake !!

NOW read carefully, tell them that you want the HDD back in the same condition as it was and that you will check the seals on the hdd..
then they will say something and you will keep on insisting that you want it back as another company will do the recovery but only of the drive that is unopened !!!
then they will go down some more, but you stick to your stand and try to sound as if you want the hdd back but wait for them to come down !!!

That s true but I don't think the OP did that !! as the hdd was not being recopgnized even at bios level !!
malcolmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-12   #19
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

Sangzeel is very Notable

Stellar will send you your hdd back to your door step without any issue, just tell them if you can't manage that much amount right now and you werent expecting that much amount as you are a home user and got to pay all from your pocket(no help from office or your company). Finish. Then just go and collect it by yourself or if they agree they will send it to you by their pickup guy like they sent mine to me.
I took like 3 months to manage 20k for my drive before sending it back to them again. I just called wd cc and asked for application from them that I'm approaching stellar data recovery as wd doesn't have any data recovery partner in India for now and it will not void my warranty agreement from wd.
Sangzeel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-12   #20
teh nuB!

drsingh is Mysterious
I hope everyone visiting this thread realizes and reinforces the importance of data backups.

Any data that u do not back up,u do not value!

Do you pass the hammer test! If someone smashes your hard drive right now with a hammer,how deep in sheit will u be?

Sorry if I sound preachy or off topic but I don't like these companies extorting money when it is completely preventable..!
JD666 likes this.
drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-12   #21
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

Are there any other options for safe guarding data in mirrored usb hdd. ive known of only wd my mirror & my book world.

Western Digital My Book Mirror Edition (1TB) - External Hard Drives - CNET Archive
4TB WD My Book World Edition II External Drive Network Storage WD40000H2NC-00 | eBay

had earlier suggested to my bro to either use a desktop & mirror hdds for data safety or go for the portable hdd's like the ones mentioned above since he had lost another portable hdd with pics not very long ago in the similar fashion but he didnt value that much. i dont hav loads of important data & see that whatever is important is kept across multiple hdd's & pc's. the rest of the data i hold is always out there on the NET i.e music, movies, games & other software. its not like the dialup days when i had to wait days together for a cd worth of data. alright, some help with portable mirrored hdd's if any plz. ty
Old 09-02-12   #22
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

Sangzeel is very Notable

I wasnt that much lucky, there was some critically important data in my dead drive that left me no choice. First I thought that it would be like ₹700-800/- for data revocery. But when I received the quotation amount I was dead on phone for almost 1sec. Lets just forget my sad story. Btw i was searching over the net for a data recovery company in India, I found that lynx-India guy also deal in this, but he do this from his home or I don't know from where for sure, I just saw a pic on net that he made a setup in his place(it was looking no way near to a data recovery lab standard, as you need a sealed lab for working and to avoid any form of dust or particals to enter the lab). But when you are in a situation like this, then you might wanna talk to him for once. Maby he know something about it.
Old 09-02-12   #23
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Steamroller?

uniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by malcolmcg View Post
lol, this is as funny as it gets
they jus sent me a mail quotation.
they quoted 70k
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
cant really stop laughin
n they want 50% advance
any idea wat i shud do now?
LOL 70K
Alright wait for few days and i am sure they will contact you again
Now its time to do some bargaining
If the money is still high i wouldn't recommend you for data recovery
Do you have stored these on any other storage like other hdd or pen drive in past (like downloaded from memory card of a camera or internet or such means ) then use some data recovery s/w on that storage(which it was previously stored )
uniquegamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-12   #24
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

Sangzeel is very Notable

Yes use recovery software if there is some life in your drive. But if it is dead with no power then join our " we are so screwed this time" club. just go and take it back they will hand it to you. Actually their clients in India are like McDonald's , airtel ect and they can afford this premium service, not individuals like us.-(

http://www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=11601

Price is almost as close to the stellar's price.

Last edited by Sangzeel; 10-02-12 at 06:29 AM.
Old 20-03-12   #25
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

well, after stellar quoting me 75k for data recovery from 500gb external hdd & sticking to their quote even after i bargained. so i said i would get the hdd collected from them. i got the hdd collected from them a week later after i had waited a while to see if they come down on their quote & sent it to another data recovery company. after more than a week of giving them the required info they needed to begin recovery they finally said that there was no data in the hdd & probably that someone might have formatted/deleted it.
thats it about the hdd now. thnx for your help everyone.
do i have to close this thread or just leave it.
Old 15-08-12   #26
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

just got the wd portable hdd back from mumbai where it was at a relatives place. btw i had mentioned that it was 500gb, but it infact is wd 1tb elements or se usb3. thought it was 500gb as i didnt check to see & sent for data recovery in a hurry.
so anyways, after getting it back now i connected it to find it wasnt showing in the list of drives in my computer, but when i checked disk management it was there. so i installed O&O DiskRecovery & gave it a shot at the hdd. it took almost 2days for the scanning during which it went through 2 phases showing 66 files & 9 folders finally. so i recovered them to another 1tb external hdd i borrowed from a friend. but they were all junk even though they were shown with extensions .avi, .bmp etc
the hdd was supposed to be holding thousands of files, mostly pictures. so what the 2nd recovery guys said was true that stellar info had deleted my data before handing over the hdd.
now i have reformatted the hdd & also done an HD Tune error scan & all seems fine without a single bad sector. thought hdd had physical problem at first (dead), but now i know it was not. if i had tried data recovery myself back then, i probably would have had the data today.
so anyone else thinking about data recovery with these so called professionals can think again before sending them your hdd with important data or memories. unless you have pockets running that deep. it dont make them a difference if the data contained is just someones memories in the form of pictures dear to them or important office files. they know the data is important to you, that is why you are there in the 1st place. and they are gonna hold your data for ransom. so i learnt my lessons here.
Do's & dont's if you lose your data from hdd is:
1st check if the hdd is totally dead
do not attempt to write any further data on it till you recover data.
if it is totally dead its time to take it to a pro anyways. let them evaluate the situation & quote accordingly. BUT make sure you go & collect it the minute you decide the quote is too high & you dont want to get the job done with them. you can always try with someone else. this is where i failed i conveyed to them that i cant afford it & waited more than a week negotiating with them, which didnt work either as they didnt move an inch from the Rs.70k they quoted saying it was a delicate job. so i told them i would send a person over to pick it up as i live in goa & it was in bombay.
here are HD Tune screens of the hdd showing all healthy

Last edited by malcolmcg; 15-08-12 at 07:04 PM.
Old 15-08-12   #27
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
Pro Dota 2 League

Rig Gallery

Kaneunderground is Notable

My friend works for acronis may be I can ask him but they again will charge I mean he will charge. But he will have to check the HDD first.. Whats the HDD capacity?
Kaneunderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-12   #28
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

other data recovery company already confirmed data had been deleted. i checked it with the above mentioned software aswell. if you know how data is securely deleted you should know what are the chances of now gettin the data back. besides i have formatted it now myself to check how good hdd was so that i could check it with HD Tune etc..
Old 15-08-12   #29
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
Pro Dota 2 League

Rig Gallery

Kaneunderground is Notable

Even if it formatted data can be recovered I have done it long long long process but works but not all data will be recovered . But if you write data back in it & format then it will be hard to get it back.
Kaneunderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-12   #30
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

^^ as i mentioned above i have also tried to recover data myself after hdd was back from 2nd recovery guy who claimed that data had been erased. and all i found was data in the form of 66 files in 9 folders all junk in bits & pieces. there were a few movies which actually did play for a few mins, but all i said was important data (pictures) there was no sign of.
took me almost 48hours running the recovery, then trying to get was seemed to be data.
btw, here's a way you can do a secure delete of sensitive info
How To Protect Sensitive Information by Erasing Your Hard Disk Completely
Post New Thread  Reply