Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Feedback and Test Drive
Register Forgot Password?

Old 24-04-14   #16
Cat in the rat race
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Incognito

Re: Hard DIsc Dealing! Gone Wrong/Right You Decide?

I want to add some points here.

- You NEED to provide a testing warranty, even for things which are in warranty. Having warranty on a dead device doesn't make you less responsible. This is true for every forum. When you are selling an item, you need to provide testing warranty - this becomes even more applicable for stuff which does not have warranty.

- One does not bring power surges out of his own.

- A single reset does not nuke your HDD unless it is faulty.

I am keeping a tab on this thread and how it goes. At this point though I would say that the refund should be made.
Veyron and tamocha11 like this.
Old 24-04-14   #17
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
alive and kicking

Veyron is highly AdmirableVeyron is highly AdmirableVeyron is highly AdmirableVeyron is highly AdmirableVeyron is highly Admirable

@Jaydip @invader @johnjoyjoe @ChironX Please explain this guy!
Old 24-04-14   #18
CoMod
Community Moderator
Sellers beware of the invasion

invader is simply Greatinvader is simply Greatinvader is simply Greatinvader is simply Greatinvader is simply Greatinvader is simply Greatinvader is simply Greatinvader is simply Greatinvader is simply Greatinvader is simply Greatinvader is simply Great

A refund should be done...
IMHO

Veyron likes this.
Old 24-04-14   #19
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
alive and kicking

Veyron is highly AdmirableVeyron is highly AdmirableVeyron is highly AdmirableVeyron is highly AdmirableVeyron is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by ChironX View Post
I want to add some points here.

- You NEED to provide a testing warranty, even for things which are in warranty. Having warranty on a dead device doesn't make you less responsible. This is true for every forum. When you are selling an item, you need to provide testing warranty - this becomes even more applicable for stuff which does not have warranty.

- One does not bring power surges out of his own.

- A single reset does not nuke your HDD unless it is faulty.

I am keeping a tab on this thread and how it goes. At this point though I would say that the refund should be made.
in all of 127 dealings my response is pretty much automated. Testing warranty for 3 or 5 days. whatever my mood that day.

I don't bother that in warranty items, because I send RMA in bulk every fort night. So I dont even ask for courier charges, as i have a tie up.

PS: there was no power surges. Machine was in frozen condition when we saw in morning. We have 24 hours backup. Its a must as we have sometime to leave NAS boxes for days, to re-create RAID.

Last edited by Veyron; 24-04-14 at 09:07 PM.
Old 24-04-14   #20
teh nuB!
Check My Id

DAREDEVIL is Mysterious

It has come to our attention that Western Digital's Caviar Green HDDs suffer from a critical design flaw caused by an aggressive power-saving feature. Western Digital has developed a new technology called Intellipark (aka Idle 3 mode) and it is designed to reduce power consumption, in part by positioning the HDD's heads in a park position and turning off unnecessary electronics after 8 seconds of inactivity.

According to an in-house investigation and user reports', some software and operating systems are incompatible with the Intellipark feature causing endless head parking movement as the HDD continuously goes in/out of idle mode. This abnormal behavior creates stress on the HDD and that could lead to the following issues:

• Loud clunking/clicking/buzzing noises every few seconds.
• Artificially increases the number of load-unload cycles in S.M.A.R.T.
• Possibly shortens life-time of the HDD.
• Possibly reduces performance of the HDD.

Western Digital posted a knowledge base article, where it claims that "The number of systems using such applications and utilities is limited", a statement which we believe is false and inaccurate. Sending an HDD to idle mode only after 8 seconds of activity is abnormal behavior, which much software doesn't like as they are constantly writing and reading data to/from the HDD.

According to Western Digital, the following models are affected: WD20EADS, WD20EARS, WD15EADS, WD15EARS, WD10EADS, WD10EARS, WD8000AARS, WD7500AADS, WD7500AARS, WD6400AADS, WD6400AARS, WD5000AADS, WD5000AARS, WD1000FYPS, WD7500AYPS and WD7501AYPS.

Western Digital has released a DOS-based utility to modify the behavior of the HDD to wait longer before invoking idle mode. However, since most of their latest HDDs still ship with the default setting of 8 seconds, we strongly recommend users with affected HDDs to use the utility and monitor S.M.A.R.T data immediately (we recommend using CrystalDiskInfo for this task).

How to Adjust Intellipark's Timer
1. Download the WDIDLE3 ISO image and burn it to a CD/DVD.
2. Ensure that your SATA controller is set to IDE mode from the BIOS.
3. Boot from the CD/DVD, it should take you into DOS.
4. In DOS prompt, type: "wdidle3 /S300" to change the default timer from 8 seconds to 300 seconds (5 minutes).
5. In DOS prompt, type: "wdidle3 /R" to verify the results.

We appreciate Western Digital's efforts to conserve energy and protect the environment, but the 8-second-overkill Intellipark feature could lead to opposite results as more HDDs will be produced to replace defective ones. We sent an email to Western Digital with a link to this article asking for a comment on this matter. We will update this story as soon when we hear back from them.

Update #1: Daniel Mauerhofer, Head of EMEA PR in Western Digital has commented on this article. "This issue is far from critical, does not impair normal functionality or place data at risk, can be mitigated with a utility for the small percentage of systems affected, and is a well understood industry standard."

Update #2: A user on Western Digital's forum claims that his Caviar Black HDD is affected as well. "WD2001FASS parks heads after 12.8 seconds. It will eventually kill itself doing this. I was getting around 1400 Load Cycle Count a day due it parking and waking up constantly."

Daniel Mauerhofer, Head of EMEA PR in Western Digital has sent us a comment regarding the Critical Design Flaw Found in WD Caviar Green HDDs article. "What you have described as a “critical design flaw” in a recent article is rather a misuse of a drive, which was not designed for the referenced system type. In summary, this issue is far from critical, does not impair normal functionality or place data at risk, can be mitigated with a utility for the small percentage of systems affected, and is a well understood industry standard.

This design feature is designed for power savings in systems that can take advantage of the Idle 3 mode. With the heads parked in Idle 3 mode, a typical WD Caviar Green drive with 4 platters saves an additional 400mW of power, which is roughly 10% of the power consumed in Idle 2 mode. This has been a standard feature of modern notebook drives.

Many OS’s, including Windows, have been modified to take advantage of this power savings mode (which has been standardized by the T10 and T13 committees) by eliminating a sync operation that occurred every 30 to 60 seconds regardless of host or user inactivity.

The systems in which you are referencing that are reporting the issue has not been modified appropriately, and for these systems, the Idle 3 feature should be turned off.

The WD Caviar Green drives are not recommended for and are not warranted for use in RAID environments utilizing Enterprise HBAs and/or expanders, nor in multi-bay chassis, as they are not designed for, nor tested in, these specific types of RAID applications. For all Business Critical RAID applications, please consider WD’s Enterprise Hard Drives, which are specifically designed with RAID-specific, time-limited error recovery (TLER), are tested extensively in 24x7 RAID applications, and include features like enhanced RAFF technology and thermal extended burn-in testing. The Idle 3 feature can be disabled for those systems that are unable to take advantage of this power savings mode. WD has always provided applications engineering assistance to system integrators to maximize system performance while also minimizing the amount of power consumed by our hard drives."

Western Digital Comments on Caviar Green Critical Design Flaw Article
there was no meniton of testing warranty in the deal on erodov.
wd green drives are not meant as system disks first of all .i did not bring about power outage but u yourself started saying there was no power outage .
there was clear negligence on leaving it as system drive and using u torrent to constantly write and read.Best i can do is i will refund u the shipping costs.

Last edited by DAREDEVIL; 24-04-14 at 09:44 PM.
Old 24-04-14   #21
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Dream has no limit!!!

prosenjit is very Notable

I am not that much expert and new in erodov..

1. No one can give 100% assurances about the saftey and stability of a system.

2. Testing warranty is essential for a good deal.

3. Testing warranty does't means that, you buy a Donkey and thinks that it'll work as a horse. Means you buy an OLD WD GREEN drive and testing it likes an NAS drive 24*7.

4. When you received that HDD and run it's for the first time, it was working.

5. I haven't seen that "Hard disk" and your "setup for testing". That hard disk may be faulty from the begining, but you can't be 100% sure that it was not damage from your system at night. You left your setup for whole night.

6. You are a professional. When you received that old hard disk, I think you have checked the health status about that hard disk. Please share those things..

As I told before, I am not an expart. Those comments may be useless, if so just ignore...
DAREDEVIL likes this.
Old 25-04-14   #22
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
alive and kicking

Why people are jumping
1. We are not talking what WD has to offer
2. I have not used it as RAID. It was a simple download rig.
3. we are not discussing my competence.

Point we are talking is
1. HDD was bought with three days testing. what do you mean on erodov or TE! I am telling you the last time
ARE YOU A MORON. different person on DIFFERENT PLATFORM.

Its a question of principle. And i can see how shaky yours are.
2. Windows installed SECOND ATTEMPT. Failed the second day
3. sought for refund. Guys agreed to it at first but later started acting funny.

Is it so much to ask ! Please explain me were I am wrong.

FOR GODs sake the guy has not even bothered to call me. In fact his mobile is off the whole time.

No answer to PM.

Don't that ring a bell to members.

Refunding me is the only option that save your face here. Brother!

Last edited by Veyron; 25-04-14 at 12:24 AM.
Old 25-04-14   #23
teh nuB!
Check My Id

DAREDEVIL is Mysterious

Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Why people are jumping
1. We are not talking what WD has to offer
2. I have not used it as RAID. It was a simple download rig.
3. we are not discussing my competence.

Point we are talking is
1. HDD was bought with three days testing. what do you mean on erodov or TE! I am telling you the last time
ARE YOU A MORON. different person on DIFFERENT PLATFORM.

Its a question of principle. And i can see how shaky yours are.
2. Windows installed SECOND ATTEMPT. Failed the second day
3. sought for refund. Guys agreed to it at first but later started acting funny.

Is it so much to ask ! Please explain me were I am wrong.

FOR GODs sake the guy has not even bothered to call me. In fact his mobile is off the whole time.

No answer to PM.

Don't that ring a bell to members.

Refunding me is the only option that save your face here. Brother!
I have already stated it million times and even replied to your pm the same day not day after that i believe it was your negligence otherwise i would have refunded even though it was not mentioned on erodov .It was clear negligence on your part to use it as primary disk when it was intended for storage .I do not have to repeat the same things on phone or pm.best i can do I will refund you the shipping costs.

Last edited by DAREDEVIL; 25-04-14 at 07:44 AM.
Old 25-04-14   #24
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
alive and kicking

Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
I have already stated it million times and even replied to your pm the same day not day after that i believe it was your negligence otherwise i would have refunded even though it was not mentioned on erodov .It was clear negligence on your part to use it as primary disk when it was intended for storage .I do not have to repeat the same things on phone or pm.best i can do I will refund you the shipping costs.
1. its not negligence. how do you suppose i test it.
2. Its not written on thread but we already had terms and conditions charted out before the deal. 3days testing was there.
I would be an idiot to pay you if you hadn't agreed on that.
3. In the thread you say very good condition. You yourself know it had scratches all over.
4. if i buy a hard disk i can use what ever way i want except. primary or storage.
5. you have blocked me. elsewhere. here you cant here. image proves that

te-block.jpg

Please refund. Dont be an idiot. i have all the details i need to pursue out of the forum legally.

i have your address, number, account details,
Old 25-04-14   #25
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
alive and kicking

IF YOU HAD not a THIEF in you you would have put your phone on and call me or Put your phone ON and face me like a MAN or at-least my friends.
Old 25-04-14   #26
teh nuB!
Check My Id

DAREDEVIL is Mysterious

1. its not negligence. how do you suppose i test it.
2. Its not written on thread but we already had terms and conditions charted out before the deal. 3days testing was there.
I would be an idiot to pay you if you hadn't agreed on that.
3. In the thread you say very good condition. You yourself know it had scratches all over.
4. if i buy a hard disk i can use what ever way i want except. primary or storage.
5. you have blocked me. elsewhere. here you cant here. image proves that

Attachment 67799

Please refund. Dont be an idiot. i have all the details i need to pursue out of the forum legally.

i have your address, number, account details,
As i said the deal was not happening on t.e and on erodov terms were diff.

you would have said the same when u got it.

Wd green drives this model are meant for secondary storage not primary due to said defect and u left it on torrent when it has history of such failures with windows 7.

regarding blocking i did not block u individually

I will not be refunding and thats my last reply .

I have the same.

Last edited by DAREDEVIL; 25-04-14 at 03:29 PM.
Old 25-04-14   #27
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
alive and kicking

Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
As i said the deal was not happening on t.e and on erodov terms were diff.

you would have said the same when u got it.

Wd green drives are meant for secondary storage not primary and u left it on utorrrent when it has history of such failures.

regarding blocking i did not block u individually

I will not be refunding and thats my last reply .

I have the same.
i will give you a day to think about it. Then i will start my procedure. Don't tell and cry victim here then

Please put your phone on and call me. If you have guts. what are you afraid of man.

I am sick of saying the same thing again. Deals is same all over. terms does not change. In TE you had trust deficit so we came to Erodov. not to change 3 days testing warranty.

I have shipped it as you said so. Monday morning i was busy to come online. so it was duly shipped as you asked for it.

@Jaydip @invader @johnjoyjoe @ChironX
Old 25-04-14   #28
teh nuB!
Check My Id

DAREDEVIL is Mysterious

i will give you a day to think about it. Then i will start my procedure. Don't tell and cry victim here then

Please put your phone on and call me. If you have guts. what are you afraid of man.

I am sick of saying the same thing again. Deals is same all over. terms does not change. In TE you had trust deficit so we came to Erodov. not to change 3 days testing warranty.

I have shipped it as you said so. Monday morning i was busy to come online. so it was duly shipped as you asked for it.

@Jaydip @invader @johnjoyjoe @ChironX
No need to wait for a day.My decison is final.If u were busy to come on online monday morning its not my fault and i will not be accepting the package.

Last edited by DAREDEVIL; 25-04-14 at 09:07 AM.
Old 25-04-14   #29
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
alive and kicking

Okay! you not replying on TE shows that you are a born cheat. Putting your mobile off also shows your Intent.
I have a thread open there and mods are waiting there too. Buts shame on you to cheat people for mere thousands. Hope you will have a taste of your life very soon. Hope your parents are proud of you.

PS: if i had any malicious intent I would have claimed it was dead on arrival unlike you.
Old 25-04-14   #30
teh nuB!
Check My Id

DAREDEVIL is Mysterious

Okay! you not replying on TE shows that you are a born cheat. Putting your mobile off also shows your Intent.
I have a thread open there and mods are waiting there too. Buts shame on you to cheat people for mere thousands. Hope you will have a taste of your life very soon. Hope your parents are proud of you.
I replied to your posts on te and erodov.Its not as if i am not responding.What t.e is some special place?.I am also sorry hdd went kaput.i would have refunded had it not been negligence.I will refund u the shipping costs .again really sorry.
Post New Thread  Closed Thread