Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Graphics Cards
Register Forgot Password?

Old 10-01-13   #1
teh nuB!
[E]onian
Mad Overclocker

Guide: Unlocking/Editing Kepler Bios

Firstly what you need is a Kepler based graphic card for eg:- GTX690, GTX680, GTX670, GTX660Ti, GTX660OEM and GTX660.

Then softwares needed for Editing/Flashing bios are:-

For Unlocking/Editing kepler bios use KGB(Kepler Golden BIOS) :- Download it from here Bios Editor

For Flashing bios use Firestorm :- Download it from here Firestorm

Now steps required to perform:-

1.) Download the BIOS Editor.
2.) Use GPUZ to extract your VGA bios, and make a copy into the KGB folder, and a backup elsewhere.
3.) Hold Shift + Right Click in the KGB folder.
4.) Select "Open Command Window Here"
5.) In the command promp, type "kbg.exe [Your Saved Bios Name].rom unlock"
6.) Download FireStorm and install it. (The install screens are in another language, just keep clicking where the "Yes/Accept" button normally is.
7.) Run Firestorm, click on the "BIOS" button, locate your modded bios that is in the KGB folder, and flash it.
8.) Restart, enjoy!

Between here is the video Guide

I tried unlocking bios of my Zotac gtx 670 Amp edition and successfully unlocks it

If for some reason something goes wrong, you can boot off a second gpu(ex iGPU or another dedicated) and reflash the bios you backed up.

Note:- Do at your own risk! I am NOT responsible if anything goes wrong!
Reviews---> SVGTECH AOC 120DT, Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB, Seasonic Platinum 1000 Watt SMPS, Zotac GTX 660Ti AMP! Edition, Cooler Master TPC 812, Zotac GTX670 AMP! Edition,Zalman HD7870 Turbo,Seagate Backup Plus 1TB,Adata DashDrives HD710 & HE720
Singh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13   #2
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Steamroller?

uniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirable
Re: Guide: Unlocking/Editing Kepler Bios

I am a little confused
I know that after unlocking a 6950 we get a 6970(Not every 6950)
Then what we get when unlocking a 670?
i think nvidia lesser cuts their dies
So we only get a 670 flashed with 680 bios & the performance increase near to a 680.
Can you clear my doubt?
uniquegamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13   #3
Cat in the rat race
Community Coordinator
Say hello to my little friend!

ChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly Famed

^ This is true. I searched it in google and even though there is some confusion about the entire thing - here is what I can summarize:

Earlier examples of bios flashing a lesser part to unlock to a more faster part happened with the AMD 6950, and GTX 465. In those cases, the lower end parts were shader disabled, not laser cut. A way to determine whether the cards share the same chip is to check out the number on it - if they have the same version numbers then this might be a possibilty. But as already demonstrated by Nvidia with their GTX 560Ti 448 Cores, they don't just allow you to buy a lower end card and upgrade it to a higher end. That leaves no justification for the higher end part being available at a price premium. So even for something like the Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670, which uses the same PCB as the GTX 680, the case is dubious and no one has confirmed it yet. Moreover, the difference between GTX670 and GTX680 is so small that the available gains, theoritically if you're able to unlock it, will not be much, and keep in mind that you can very well screw your card if something goes wrong. BIOS flashes are very very sensitive and also depends on the GPU firmware versions.

I'd like to further add that the Gigabyte Windforce GTX670 model has a different chip version than the reference GTX680:

Reference GTX680: GK104-400-A2
Gigabyte GTX670 OC: GK104-325-A2

So it's not possible for your GTX670 to be unlocked into a GTX680. Sure, with bios updates you might get a little performance boost, but that doesn't indicate your GPU has been unlocked or anything. AMD and Nvidia has quickly done away from this practice and now ships lower end GPUs with no disabled cores/shaders - those are laser cut.
Old 10-01-13   #4
teh nuB!
[E]onian
Mad Overclocker

Singh is highly AdmirableSingh is highly AdmirableSingh is highly AdmirableSingh is highly AdmirableSingh is highly AdmirableSingh is highly Admirable

Unlocking Kepler bios will give you more room for overclocking,more power limit and 100% fan speed only, it can`t be unlock anything to gtx680 .

I get 40-50 MHz more oc headroom with unlocking i.e 1280 to -1320 mhz on core clock .
Singh is online now   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply