Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Articles > Tutorials and Guides
Register Forgot Password?
Follow Erodov on Twitter Follow Us
Join us on FaceBook Join Us
Post New Article  Comment

Article Tools Search this Article
Guide to Acrylics
Guide to Acrylics
Date: 16-03-11
Topic: Tutorials and Guides
Author: Xanan

Index
Drilling Acrylic 
Index

Guide to Acrylics

Acrylic is a modder's very best friend- it can be cut easily, is transparency can be well used to show off your hardware, it does not yellow like glass, and can be easily bent, if you know how to. As such, I felt it was important that there should be a guide outlining the basic processes involved in using Acrylic for your mods, so here goes:

Choosing the right type of Acrylic:

Acrylic is available in two types: Cast and Extruded. Cast Acrylic is better suited for modding which involves cutting, while extruded is generally easier and better for bending. In India, you commonly get Cast Acrylic. Extruded Acrylic is harder to find.

Pricing, Thickness and Sizes:

Acrylic sheets are available in a lot of thicknesses, ranging from 3mm to 10 mm. By far, the most common thickness available in India is 5mm. Prices depend on the thickness of the sheet, and range from 70rs/sqft to around 190rs/sqft for 10mm thickness sheets. Acrylic is sold in sheet form, so the normal sheet size is 4ft by 8ft. However, most shops will have pieces of 4ft by 4ft as this is easier to transport. If you require smaller sized sheets, it'd be better if you look at signboard makers- they generally have scrap sheets available, and would give them to you for a very little money, depending on the size.

Colors available:

The most common color choices available are Clear White (which is transparent), Cloudy White (milky white) and Black. Less common colors include red. green and blue. All these sheets, apart from Clear White, are opaque and if you install them, then you won't be (most likely) able to see anything apart from the brightest lights. Also, these sheets commonly are 3mm thick. If you do plan to use colored acrylic sheets, but are unable to find them in the right shade, thickness or translucency, you can either paint them or stick a film.

darylemmanuel and prop0nik like this.

Index
Drilling Acrylic 

Tools
Add to Xanan's Karma
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
<< <    Next Page: Drilling Acrylic (Page 1 of 7)    >  >>
By vijayninel 17-03-11
Re: Guide to Acrylics

Thanks for the brilliant guide Xanan. This will be very useful to me and now I can do more with this versatile material.
By Xanan 17-03-11

Thanks...hopefully, I shall put up some more
By Xeo 17-03-11

Awesome guide Xanan!
Check your PM too.
By KrashNBurn 17-03-11

This is a very nicely consolidated "How to" guide. Although X and I have spoken a lot about it, this will be a good reference point any time I want to look up something. Moreover the coverage of how to use day to day "tools" to accomplish some of the tasks is very useful to everyone.
By MOZ 18-03-11

Extremelt helpful for anyone taking up modding or using this material.
By SidK!! 18-03-11

Extremely helpful bro.Thanks a lot.
By mekanik 18-03-11

Really nice guide.. Will help many including me.
a question do you think dremel will be good for cutting it or will it just crack the sheet?
By ManISinJpr 18-03-11

Kudos to you Xanan, for such a wonderful guide.
By MOZ 18-03-11

Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Really nice guide.. Will help many including me.
a question do you think dremel will be good for cutting it or will it just crack the sheet?

Depends what you want to cut, dremel is recommended only when u have to cut curves, which are not circles (hole saw for that)
By bean_laden 18-03-11

nice guide Xanan!....i always wanted to experiment somethings with these acrylics...not too lazy..
By mekanik 19-03-11

Originally Posted by mohitgarg View Post
Depends what you want to cut, dremel is recommended only when u have to cut curves, which are not circles (hole saw for that)
well question was in general any shape .. but judging from your statement it wont.. Thanks..
By Xanan 24-03-11

My apologies for not responding to your comments- as you might know, I have been very sick for the past few days and could not log in on a regular basis. I have submitted two more articles which should be published shortly. Hopefully, you'll find them as helpful as you found this one.

Many thanks for all the support- it is very much appreciated and serves as a great source of motivation.
By sylvieskewsg 05-11-15

Thanks for your useful information. As you have provided some information, even I have something to share. Since we are talking about technology, we come across many such abbreviations which we are not aware of. If we know full form of such abbreviations, it becomes easy for us to understand the meaning of it. Seekzed Knowledge Services provides us with the facility of knowing the full forms of such abbreviations i.e. it is nothing but a Full form directory.
Post New Article  Comment
Please share with friends!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search