Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Digital Art and Artwork
Register Forgot Password?

Old 22-03-08   #1
teh zeuS!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
..I..

Rig Gallery
The Great Wallpaper Tutorial Thread !!!!!!!!!!

This is Edited by Ashish (Section Note):
Hey ppl !!! This is a Sticky thread for all Wallpaper related tutorials. Just Like we have a Signature Tutorial Thread, similarly this is a Wallpaper tutorial thread. All Wallpaper Tutorials go here. Ans for starters we have a wonderful tutorial by darkstar ....

So everyone ... POST ON ....

-------------------- End of Note ----------------------------

Tutorial : Create Mac Like Wallpaper using Gimp

Have you ever wondered how those glossy and stupendous wallpapers are created ? If not ! Then let me take you on a tour which will help you to create glossy wallpapers without any havoc.. This guide is targeted towards beginners .. I have tried my best to make it simple .. Being an Open Source user and FOSS follower I always use Open Source software to do my work. In this tutorial I had used GNU Image Manipulation Program [Gimp 2.4.2] to create wallpaper, so this tutorial will be focused on GIMP while people using Photoshop can still use the same technique to create this wallpaper..

The wallpaper I created has been inspired by Mac Aqua series of wallpaper.. Since I am using GNU OS I dedicate my 1'st wallpaper to my Operating System . i.e. Kubuntu 8.04..

In this tutorial we will focus to create a wallpaper like this..

Gimp is a multi platform Image Editor available for Windows, Linux, and Mac OSX.. So you can use tutorial on any OS.. So lets get started ...

Note :
Please save your work in .xcf file .. So that you can use it later for modification.. .xcf is the standard GIMP format which saves all the layers and effects that you applied.. It is just like .psd in Photoshop..

Step 1 : Before we get started decide the resolution you want to start , higher resolution will be beneficial since it will be easy for you to scale down if some one request for low resolution wallpaper..
Here in this tutorial I have used a Wide Screen resolution of 1680X1051 .. So I would recommend the same for the optimum results..

Step 2 : Set the foreground color to 3b00d0 and background color to 1882e4 .After you are done grab the Blend tool from the tool menu , now apply the Blend by dragging a line from Bottom to Top. Make sure the line is straight .. You can always undo the mistakes by CTRL+Z

Step 3 : Create a new transparent layer using the layer tool box.. Now set the foreground colour to while and select the blend tool .. Now do the following settings in order for create a glow..

In the new layer, apply the Blend by dragging from Center to lower left part of the image..

Set the layer attributes to Overlay..

Step 4 : Create a new transparent layer, and create an odd looking triangle using the Path tool..

Step 5 : Use the blend tool by dragging the from top to bottom right as mentioned in the image.. Do the following in Blend option .. These option will be the universal option for Blend tool in this tutorial..

Set the layer to Overlay Mode.

Step 7 : Create another transparent layer and draw a curve using the path tool..

Now use the blend tool by dragging it from left to right inside the curve path.. With White as its Foreground Colour..Set the Layer attribute to Overlay and adjust the Opacity according to your need..

Step 8 : Pick the path tool and draw the path below...

Step 9 : Now select the Airbrush with Black as its Foreground colour.. Under Airbrush option select the brush type “Circle Fuzzy 19” and set the size of the brush to 10.0 ..Now add the touch to the path as shown..

Step 10 : Right Click one the Image and a menu will pop up , under the menu navigate to Select option and click on Invert..

Step 11: Use the Airbrush and darken the path again. Select the Bucket Fill tool and and set the Foreground Colour to White..

Step 12 : Create a new Transparent layer and use the bucket tool inside the path ... It will colour up the whole selected portion to white. Set the layer attribute to Overylay and adjust the Opacity to 49..

Step 13 : Create a new layer and with the path selected right click on the image and Navigate to Select and click on Grow. Set the Pixel to 15 and click ok..

Setp 14 : Select the Airbrush from the toolbar and set the foreground colour to black .. Colour the new and increased outline make sure the colour should not spread much.. Use the brush as shown..

Step 15 : Once you are done set the mode to Overlay and set the opacity according to your taste . Do not lighten it too much.. Deselect the selected path by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+A

Step 16 : Use the path tool and create the path as shown in the image..

Step 17 : Select the blend tool with White as its foreground colour.. Drag it as shown in the figure..and set the mode to Overlay.. Deselect it by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+A

Step 18 : Now we will add the shade to upper and lower left path of the image.. To do this create a new Transparent layer and select the blend tool with White as its foreground colour.. Drag the blend tool from upper left to the opposite corner of the image... Set the mode to Overlay..

Step 19 : Create another new Transparent layer and do the same with blend tool. Drag it from Bottom left towards the opposite corner of the image.. Set the mode to Overlay .

Step 20 : We are finished now.. Add the logo if you want....

Here is another Wallpaper I have created using the same technique .. Gave a greenish shade and added the openSUSE logo at the center..

Hope this tutorial helps you.. Keep the comments and suggestions coming..

Peas Ds

Last edited by Aragorn; 23-03-08 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Making a Sticky and Added Section Note.....
Dark Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-08   #2
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Rig Gallery

Aragorn is extremely Renowned
Aragorn is extremely RenownedAragorn is extremely RenownedAragorn is extremely Renowned
Re: Tutorial : Create Mac like Wallpaper with Gimp.

Awesome Tutorial ... Reps added.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-08   #3
teh zeuS!
..I..

Rig Gallery

Dark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly Famed

Hey thanks bud Will post more
Old 23-03-08   #4
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
Alls well that ends in hell

montylee is highly Admirablemontylee is highly Admirablemontylee is highly Admirablemontylee is highly Admirablemontylee is highly Admirablemontylee is highly Admirablemontylee is highly Admirable

awesome work dude! finally i can do something in gimp!

montylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-08   #5
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

siddharth_menon is highly Admirablesiddharth_menon is highly Admirablesiddharth_menon is highly Admirablesiddharth_menon is highly Admirablesiddharth_menon is highly Admirablesiddharth_menon is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by montylee View Post
awesome work dude! finally i can do something in gimp!
Same here .. will try somthing.
siddharth_menon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-08   #6
teh zeuS!
..I..

Rig Gallery

Dark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly Famed
Re: The Great Wallpaper Tutorial Thread !!!!!!!!!!

Those who are interested in Wallpaper w/o logo check this

Old 23-03-08   #7
teh geeK!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

SIDHU is highly AdmirableSIDHU is highly AdmirableSIDHU is highly AdmirableSIDHU is highly AdmirableSIDHU is highly AdmirableSIDHU is highly Admirable

Very good buddy, I liked green more, blue is very shiny, thanks for awesome guide.
BenQ T2200HD l Sony MHC VX333 + Beltrone Amplifier l L.G. H55N l Xbox 360 Controller
SIDHU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-08   #8
In Bijuu Mode
Sage of Six Path

kooabs03 is highly Admirablekooabs03 is highly Admirablekooabs03 is highly Admirablekooabs03 is highly Admirablekooabs03 is highly Admirablekooabs03 is highly Admirable

Nice work there m8.cool logo too.
Old 26-03-08   #9
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

Aragorn is extremely RenownedAragorn is extremely RenownedAragorn is extremely Renowned

Come on ppl come more tutorials. And if you don't have a tutorial but have made some new thing (wallpaper etc.) then post it in the Erodov Fan Art sticky.
Old 26-03-08   #10
teh geeK!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

SIDHU is highly AdmirableSIDHU is highly AdmirableSIDHU is highly AdmirableSIDHU is highly AdmirableSIDHU is highly AdmirableSIDHU is highly Admirable

I will try today.

BTW DS, I m facing lots of issues on Ubuntu with P35/ICH9 chipset. I cant able to install it if I insert CD in L.G. H55N DVD Writer (error - :sh/home TTY failed etc), worked in Sony combo but I need to choose safe graphics mode, now installed properly and working, I used ENVY to install nVidia drivers, sometimes it hangs on loading when ma ADSL modem is switched ON LOL, I tried it first time on ma new PC, it runs faster than XP now, blazing fast. I will follow UR media and desktop cust. guide and report back if any issues arrived.
SIDHU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-08   #11
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

^ You can post a tutorial using Photoshop. They need not necessarily be Linux oriented.
Old 26-03-08   #12
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Big fat lump of corruption

Rig Gallery

Punnyabrata is highly AdmirablePunnyabrata is highly AdmirablePunnyabrata is highly AdmirablePunnyabrata is highly AdmirablePunnyabrata is highly AdmirablePunnyabrata is highly Admirable

Amazing tute Darky...
Punnyabrata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-08   #13
teh zeuS!
..I..

Rig Gallery

Download : Wallpaper of dif.. Wide Screen Resolution
Old 09-04-08   #14
teh zeuS!
..I..

Rig Gallery

Tutorial : Create Simple/Funky Wallpaper with Gimp.

Tutorial: Create Simple/Funky Wallpaper using Gimp

Recently I released a few wallpapers for Linux Mint and lots of people loved the simplistic design .. Though the techniques was very easy still I got lots of request to create a detailed tutorial on How To create Simple/Funky wallpaper. Since I am a Gimp user, this tutorial will be based on Gimp.. So here I am again writing my second wallpaper tutorial for Gimp..

In this tutorial we will focus to create this type of wallpaper :-

So lets get started...

Step 1 : We will start by creating a new image of resolution 1920 X 1200 .. I have used a Wide Screen and quite big resolution .. The benefit of creating big resolution wallpaper is that you can easily resize it for lower resolution..

Step 2 : Set the Foreground Colour to #199bed and Background Colour to #0f50f8 , or you can select any other colour .. But the Foreground colour should be lighter than that of background colour..

Step 3 : Select the Gradient Tool from Gimp tool menu and set these settings...

After that apply the gradient from Bottom Right to Top Left as shown in figure..

Step 4 : Create a new transparent layer and name it Upper Rectangle..and grab the Rectangle Select tool and create a similar looking Rectangle as shown..

Fill it with white colour, and create two more rectangle using same method.. The output should look like this..

Step 5 :
Set the opacity of Upper Rectangle layer to 60 from the layer dialog box..Create a new layer and name it Left Circle.

Step 6 : Grab the Ellipse Select tool and create a small circle at the bottom left part of the image.. The output should look like this.

Step 7 : Now de-select it by pressing CTRL+SPACE+A and again create a big circle whose half part should be outside the image as shown . Try to sketch the circle in such a way that the small circle appears at the center with respect to the bigger curve..

Step 8 : Navigate to Dialogs - > Brushes and click on select bush named Circle 05 , you can vary the thickness of the curve according to your taste, after that set the Foreground colour to Solid White and navigate to Edit - > Stroke Selection and click on Stroke with paint tool and from the drop down list select Paintbrush and click Ok. make sure the Circle path is still selected..

Step 9: You will see that a curve now covers the small circle. Using similar Technique create another curve biiger than the one we just created..As shown : -

Step 9 : Now grab the Paint Brush ,white as its Foreground Colour, and fill the area b/w the 2 Curve that you just created ...That will give the 2 curve a look of single thick curve.

Step 10 : Create 2 more curve, bigger than the thick curve.. Now the left curve part is almost finish.. As you have stroked the path , the bottom gets stroked with white lines .. To remove this grab the Eraser Tool and carefully erase the white lines from the bottom and from b/w the curve.To erase the work Zoom the image to 100%. As shown :-

Step 11 : The curve you created doesn't look smooth , to give them the smooth looks grab the Blur/Sharpen tool and set it to provide Blur Effect.. Carefully apply Blur at the edges of the curve.. As shown : -

This will provide it a smoother look ...

Step 12 : Set the opacity to 60 . Create a new transparent layer and name it Middle Lines. Grab the Path Tool and create a Straight Line as shown : -

Step 13 : In the Brushes Dialog box select bush named Circle 05. Navigate to Edit -> Stroke Path and click on Stroke with paint tool and from the drop down list select Paintbrush and click Ok.
Similarly create a new Line but change the size of the brush to Circle 07.
Set the opacity to 80 .. The output should look like this..

Step 14 : Create a new Transparent layer and name it Bottom Right . Grab the Ellipse Selection tool and create a small Curve at the Bottom Right Corner of the Image. In the Brush Dialog box select the Brush named Circle 05 and navigate to Edit - > Stroke Selection and click on Stroke with paint tool and from the drop down list select Paintbrush and click Ok. make sure the Circle path is still selected.. A small curve will get strike.. Now make 2 more curve bigger than the preview one..The output should look like this..

Step 15 : Grab the Path tool and create a path as shown : -

Fill the path with Solid White.. After that repeat Step 10 and 11..Set the Opacity to 60.

Step 16 : We are almost done the only thing left if to create Circles .. To do that create a new Transparent layer and name it Circle..

Step 17 : Grab the Ellipse Select Tool and create a Circle as shown.. Fill it with white colour..

Step 18 : Now create a bigger curve than the circle .. Try to create the bigger curve in such a way that the small white circle appears to be at center. Now in the brush dialog box select Circle 07 and stoke it with White colour using Stroke Selection in Edit Menu..

Step 19 : Create a bigger curve the curve you create should be very close to the white curve that you created in Step 18. Now in the brush dialog box select Circle 09 and stoke it with #0f50f8 colour using Stroke Selection in Edit Menu..

Step 20 : Create several circles using same meathod and place it as shown .. After that repeat Step 10 and 11..Set the Opacity to 60.

Step 21 : Create a new layer and name it Arrow and using the path tool create an Arrow from the Center of the Circle at Bottom Left and stretch it to the Middle of the lines.. and stroke it with White Colour using Stroke Path under Edit Menu.

Its over now.. Add the text if you want.. There you go . You have created a Cool yet simple wallpaper using Gimp..So keep experimenting with Gimp and get better effects.....

Hope this tutorial helps you. For any queries do ask me..

Download the wallpaper/xcf file for reference : Cool Blue Wallpaper.zip

Keep the comments and suggestions coming

Regards Shash.
Old 10-04-08   #15
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

Darkstar .. u r awesome ..

Even though I hate Linux and Gimp and my preference would always be Windows and Photoshop .... I really have a lot of respect for you. As an artist is an artist ... and doesnt matter what platform one uses ....

Keep up the good work.
Post New Thread  Reply