Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > General Hardware and Peripherals
Register Forgot Password?

Old 29-10-12   #1
teh geeK!
[E]onian
DotA 2 FoReVeR!!!!!!!!!!!

adminabuse Graphics Card Gone KAPUT!!! No Warranty.

Hello ppl,

My GPU AT HD4850 went kaput. I will see if it can be repaired as I haven't been home from a long time. Currently using Rs.400/- PCI card for display as my motherboard lacks any onboard.

My current setup is in my signature. I was planning to upgrade my system as I work with Virtualization a lot. So I need to upgrade my RAM.

I would running 3 Windows Server 2008 R2 as VMs and 1 ESX or Citrix Xenserver (requiring minimum 2 GB of RAM), all at once. So what do you think I should do?

My current processor can work?

I was thinking of buying 12GB of additional RAM and getting a GPU along with it. However, I am not sure which one would be better? Going for a DDR3 setup or continue with DDR2? Please help me to resolve this dilemma.

Thanks.

Shiny new Connection

Core2Duo E7200 @ Stock, ABIT IP35-E, GeCube ATI HD 4850 (DEAD),
2GB Transcend 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 80GB Seagate SATA, Seagate 500 GB 7200.12,
Corsair VX450W

Dell Studio 1558: Core i5 460M, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Seagate 7200rpm, ATI Mobility HD5470.
Th3 KiNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-12   #2
teh geeK!
[E]onian

Th3 KiNg is highly AdmirableTh3 KiNg is highly AdmirableTh3 KiNg is highly AdmirableTh3 KiNg is highly AdmirableTh3 KiNg is highly AdmirableTh3 KiNg is highly AdmirableTh3 KiNg is highly Admirable
Re: Graphics Card Gone KAPUT!!! No Warranty.

Anyone?
Old 30-10-12   #3
Lounge Bug
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Chocolate Salted Balls.

Rig Gallery

bean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famed

DDR3 would obviously yield you better performance.
Old 30-10-12   #4
teh spamm[E]R!
I havent set my status yet.

Rig Gallery

thebanik is extemely Distinguished
thebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguished

Post is not very clear on what are the options between which you would like to choose, however ofcourse DDR3 would be much better than DDR2 specially for virtualisation which relies heavily on Ram.
Maximus V Gene (MSI Z77-GD65, Gigabyte P67A-UD7, EVGA Classified E760,MSI Eclipse,DFI DK P45 Plus, Foxconn Mars, Asus P5Ne-SLI, Asus P5B Deluxe/Wifi AP), Intel 3770k Benched @ 6.7Ghz, Intel 2600K Benched @ 5.7 Ghz, AMD 8150 Benched @ 7.45 Ghz, Intel 980X Benched @ 6.07Ghz, AMD 970BE Benched @ 6.63Ghz, (Intel i5 680 Benched @ 6.44Ghz, Intel i7 950 Benched @ 5150Mhz, Intel E8600 Benched @ 5.71Ghz, Intel QX9650 Benched @5.41Ghz, Intel Core2 Duo E8400@4.6Ghz, e4300 @ 3.52 Ghz), Thermalright Venomous X, GSkill 6400 2 x 1 GB @ 1260Mhz , HIS 7970 (MSI GTX 580, MSI GTX 480, EVGA GTX295, Asus 4870 x2, EVGA 9800GX2, Visiontek 3870 x2, XFX 8800GT, Nvidia 7900GTX, XFX 8600GT), DELL E248WFP Monitor, CoolerMaster Benchtable, Antec HCP 1200W, Altec Lansing 641 400 RMS Watts with Auzentech X-Plosion

SVGTECH HOC40 and HOC20 Review

Corsair Vengeance K90, M90 and M60 Review

Gigabyte P67 UD7 + Intel i7 2600k Preview

Strontium Ultra Speed 128GB SSD Review

Gigabyte GX-X58A-UD9 Review
thebanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-12   #5
teh geeK!
[E]onian

Th3 KiNg is highly AdmirableTh3 KiNg is highly AdmirableTh3 KiNg is highly AdmirableTh3 KiNg is highly AdmirableTh3 KiNg is highly AdmirableTh3 KiNg is highly AdmirableTh3 KiNg is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by thebanik View Post
Post is not very clear on what are the options between which you would like to choose, however ofcourse DDR3 would be much better than DDR2 specially for virtualisation which relies heavily on Ram.

Which would be cheaper and a wise decisionoverall. Keep the current setup or upgrade to DDR3? Do I need to change my CPU if I upgrade?
Old 30-10-12   #6
teh spamm[E]R!

Rig Gallery

thebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguished

Originally Posted by Th3 KiNg View Post
Which would be cheaper and a wise decisionoverall. Keep the current setup or upgrade to DDR3? Do I need to change my CPU if I upgrade?
That depends on your budget and usage man. We can only suggest what to purchase, but whether to upgrade is a question you should ask yourself. As for seeing improvement, Yes you will see huge improvement, both in terms of CPU and Ram upgrade, specially since you mentioned that you would be using virtualisation a lot. If you do have the budget then ofcourse jump right ahead,
Old 30-10-12   #7
teh geeK!
[E]onian

Originally Posted by thebanik View Post
That depends on your budget and usage man. We can only suggest what to purchase, but whether to upgrade is a question you should ask yourself. As for seeing improvement, Yes you will see huge improvement, both in terms of CPU and Ram upgrade, specially since you mentioned that you would be using virtualisation a lot. If you do have the budget then ofcourse jump right ahead,
Hmmmm.... I actually I just need my system to be able to handle 4-5 VMs at once without slowing down. I was thinking I could just milk my old system for what it is worth for the time being.
Old 30-10-12   #8
teh spamm[E]R!

Rig Gallery

Originally Posted by Th3 KiNg View Post
Hmmmm.... I actually I just need my system to be able to handle 4-5 VMs at once without slowing down. I was thinking I could just milk my old system for what it is worth for the time being.
If its working fine now, and as per your expectations then go ahead and keep milking your old system, . Though cannot assure you but even upgrading Ram size(DDR2) will benefit you though by how much, cannot really comment.
Old 31-10-12   #9
teh nuB!

y2kbugmaker is Notable

How did you managed to run Hyper-V on consumer series GFX. Assuming you are using it.

Best is to buy a motherboard which supports VT-D (Least Processors got it) and VT-X (Most processor got it) along with processor. If your motherboard already got all of above try getting Quadro series. It will allow mapping the gpu to any VM of your choice, you wont be able to do this via Geforce series.

If not forget the GFX card and spend money on RAM. 2 GB for 3 VMs is very less. You should at least of 8 GB. I am using 8 GB + 4GB + 4GB. with a H77 Sandy Bridge i5 2400 configuration.

If dual / triple display is your concern, the new H77/Z77 supports multiple displays max 3 when paired with Ivy Bridge and 2 when paired with Sandy bridge.
y2kbugmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-12   #10
teh geeK!
[E]onian

Originally Posted by y2kbugmaker View Post
How did you managed to run Hyper-V on consumer series GFX. Assuming you are using it.

Best is to buy a motherboard which supports VT-D (Least Processors got it) and VT-X (Most processor got it) along with processor. If your motherboard already got all of above try getting Quadro series. It will allow mapping the gpu to any VM of your choice, you wont be able to do this via Geforce series.

If not forget the GFX card and spend money on RAM. 2 GB for 3 VMs is very less. You should at least of 8 GB. I am using 8 GB + 4GB + 4GB. with a H77 Sandy Bridge i5 2400 configuration.

If dual / triple display is your concern, the new H77/Z77 supports multiple displays max 3 when paired with Ivy Bridge and 2 when paired with Sandy bridge.
I was't using my PC for this purpose. I am using my Dell Studio for virtualization. My laptop supports VT. Also, I am working on ESX not Hyper-V.

And, I am not too keen on GPU, however it doesn't hurt as I wouldn't like to leave gaming. I need atleast 16GB of RAM. As I would running following machines:

1 ESX or Xenserver VM(2GB minimum)
1 Win 7 VM
4 Windows Server 2008 R2 VMs
Old 31-10-12   #11
teh nuB!

y2kbugmaker is Notable

DDR2 is twice as expensive as DDR3. It doesnt make sense to buy 12 GB DDR2, buy any H77 mobo (on board GFX) for times like these, pair it with 8/16 GB DDR3, 8 will be good enough and i3 proc

However, Stick with your current setup if you already have 6 GB RAM (i guess you already have with that setup)

2 GB DDR2 = ~1200 = 3600 Rs. (for 6 GB)

+ GFX (if you are using Dual boot setup) Geforce is always cheaper than Quadro. It depends on your current display setup (No of displays and native resolution).
Old 31-10-12   #12
teh nuB!

chats is Notable

Don't invest in DDR2 now.
And since your current processor doesn't support virtualization, it doesn't make sense to use it as a base for your vm platform.

You may want to look at AMD's if you're upgrading since your primary purpose is virtualization. You'll get more cores for your buck, giving you a more responsive system.
Old 31-10-12   #13
teh priesT!
[E]onian
GTA 4 PC

Rig Gallery

satyanjoy is highly Prominentsatyanjoy is highly Prominentsatyanjoy is highly Prominent
As other saying ddr3 is value for money now, you should consider upgrading your system and consider amd based setup as it gives more core and better performance

Sent from Motorola Defy using Tapatalk 2
Intel i5 3470 | B75M-D3H | 2*4 GB Kingston HyperX Blue | GTX 1060 6gb | Samsung 840 120GB | Seasonic S12II 620 | Corsair 400R | WDC 640 aaks | Seagate 1TB | Corsair Vengeance K70 Brown | Logitech G27 | Logitech G302 | Logitech Attack 3 | BenQ G2420HD | JBL Creature III | APC RS1100 | Win10 Pro | Xbox360 Controller | WinXpSP3 | PS2 NTSC 77001 | Steam ID: satyanjoy | Origin: SatyaDG
satyanjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-12   #14
teh geeK!
[E]onian

Hmmm. let's see how much can I get for this system. And, you people are right, as my current processor doesn't support VT. I guess I would just buy a new one. Repping everyone. thanks
Old 01-11-12   #15
teh nuB!

y2kbugmaker is Notable

didn't know that your current setup doesn't support VT. It's not advised to spend money on system which doesn't as basic usage is VT.
Post New Thread  Reply