Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Graphics Cards
Register Forgot Password?

Old 14-05-10   #1
teh priesT!
[E]onian
thinking of / buying gadgets

Woot GPU ( ANY ) Driver Has Stopped Responding Fix

Update July 1st 2013 :
Suddenly got this problem after a really long time.Thought i'd share for other frustrated people ;D
If you're getting the annoying Display Driver has stopped responding / & has recovered issue ( amd or nvidia ) ...

1.If you're sure your RAM is not defective, FIRST SIMPLY TRY TAKING YOUR GPU OUT and RE SEATING IT PROPERLY before you try any other steps.Make sure it is SECURED.
Example : I realised that My Asus ENGTX580 is so heavy that it seems to bend downwards (with the Cabinet upright )
I've put a plastic stick ( one side of a hdd holder ) , between the base of my cabinet and the gpu , so the gpu rests on it and stays in place horizontally.( not even kidding ).
This has fixed the problem completely for me now It's possible that this was the problem all along, even with my earlier gpu.

2.Then check DRIVERS, RAM etc

Read on for other possible fixes.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit on a Gigabyte P55 UD6 Motherboard with a Sapphire 6950 2gb GPU , an Intel i5 650 Processor , and PREVIOUSLY 4gb of RAM. ( Now 16gb )
My DISPLAY DRIVER WOULD CONSTANTLY KEEP CRASHING.
------------

"The amd driver has stopped responding and has successfully been recovered" ( Win 7 64 and 32 versions )

Seen this ? Feel like jumping off a building ?

With a card like the 5870 or a 6950 you'd naturally want to max out all your settings.
Over the past year and a half i've been going nuts trying to fix the dreaded display drivers as has stopped responding issue.Threre are craploads of forums and posts on this issue but nothing really worked.

No registry , voltage , overclocking , underclocking tweak works.
Although it might seem like it , It is NOT a voltage issue so don't mess around with your voltages trying to fix this.
Eventually you will be back to square one so don't bother.I made this thread so that people with this problem can stop wasting time trying temporary fixes.

I kept getting crashes with Just Cause 2 ( sometimes 5 minutes sometimes 30 - no consistency ) ..and then realised it's happening with pretty much any game.
The game would either crash altogether , or it would crash and then recover.And then i'd see the evil message .

"The amd driver has stopped responding and has successfully been recovered"

After many long nights , driver cleaning and changes , never ending google searches , ram testing , motherboard testing , registry editing. changing TDR values etc etc, contacting Sapphire Tech , getting my bios flashed ( i tried everything short of washing the computer with water and soap ) - i finally found a fix.I know i've said this many times , but this time it's really fixed.

HERE's THE FINAL FIX : ( should work for ANY system giving you this error not jut ATI or Nvidia or Gigabyte mobos )

1.REMOVE , RE SEAT AND MAKE SURE YOUR GPU IS SECURE AND NOT EVEN SLIGHTLY OUT OF PLACE.
2.MAKE SURE YOUR RAM TIMINGS ARE CORRECT ( CHECK BIOS )
3.CHECK RAM.MAKE SURE NO ERRORS WITH MEMTEST
THAT'S IT.

Most people believe ( and quite logically ) that the issue is windows power savings , or your motherboard's power savings , or the cpus enhanced powersaving states like c3/c6 / EIST functions.But that's not the case at all.Since the ram change i've been running ALL power saving features on the motherboard and on windows 7 ( c3/c6 . EIST , Low power states etc etc EVERYTHING is ON, including gigabyte's dynamnic energy saver ) AND i've been GAMING with these settings on, and i have had NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER.SO IT WORKS !

I'm not an expert but i can only guess that changing your RAM ( in case it's defective ) + making sure their right timings are selected , will fix this problem if you ever bump into it.
I am so happy i could cry.Also because i was so frustrated with this sh*t i was about to replace my Motherboard and GPU.So this saved me a ton of money. Best of Luck.

I was using Gskill Ripjaws F3-10666CL7D 2Gbx2 RAM (showed errors in Memtest )
Changed to Gskill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D 2 8 GB kits , 4gb x 4 (No errors )
And Poof the problem is GONE !
|CoolerMaster Sniper Cabinet|
|Alienware M14x|
|Samsung Galaxy S4+Note II |
|Canon 600D|
|PS3|

Last edited by Dr.Hojay; 01-07-13 at 07:38 PM. Reason: REALLY FIXED !
Dr.Hojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-10   #2
En Taro Adun
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Blank

Superfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply Great
Re: 5870 - Driver Has Stopped Responding Fix

Woah... that must have irritated you a lot!!!

Galaxy Nexus | Samsung Series 5 Chromebook running Ubuntu!
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 32GB I/O Edition
My Twitter!
My Audio Gear(Past and Present)
CanJam 2010 Pictures!!
My Last.fm Page
[E]'s Twitter!
"We all got our choices to make." "Damn Shame."
Superfrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-10   #3
Most Valued [E]onian
Most Valued [E]onian
-

Rig Gallery

Free Radical is extemely Distinguished
Free Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely Distinguished

To be honest, I feel its either a Win 7 issue or a hardware issue and not the drivers to blame
By turning of AA you are simply decreasing the stress on the gpu.

You'll see that on nvidia cards too.

Infact like artifacting, its a sign of something wrong like overheating.
What are ur gpu temps like?

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear x-rays, and I wanna, I wanna smell dark matter!
Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly, because I have to, I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting, spoken language. But I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me!
I'm a machine, and I could know much more, I could experience so much more, but I'm trapped in this absurd body!
And why?! Because my...creators thought that "God" wanted it that way.

Last edited by Free Radical; 14-05-10 at 01:35 PM.
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-10   #4
Cyanogenmod 6.0-N1
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
work, work and more work :(

Rig Gallery

blufox is extremely Renowned
blufox is extremely Renownedblufox is extremely Renownedblufox is extremely Renownedblufox is extremely Renownedblufox is extremely Renowned

^^^Thank god I am still with WinXP .

/Steve Wozniak
blufox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-10   #5
teh priesT!
[E]onian

Dr.Hojay is highly AdmirableDr.Hojay is highly AdmirableDr.Hojay is highly AdmirableDr.Hojay is highly AdmirableDr.Hojay is highly AdmirableDr.Hojay is highly AdmirableDr.Hojay is highly Admirable

yes i think it's a win7 issue too. Dual Boot FTW

i was forced to install win 7 ( didnt want to do vista coz it sucks ! ) - because Just Cause 2 won't run on dx9 ! ( hahahahahahas )
Old 14-05-10   #6
Most Valued [E]onian
Most Valued [E]onian
-

Rig Gallery

Free Radical is extemely Distinguished
Free Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely Distinguished

Since MS introed aero and DWM which rely on Direct 2D, if the display driver sends an error code, it is broadcast to all windows and apps. This has a domino effect and you get a black screen followed by the display driver has stopped responding traytip.
Infact I used this as a benchmark when I overclocked my IGP (nvidia geforce 6150) on Vista SP1 a few years back by looping a high bitrate dreamscene video.

I used to get this error whenever my oc was the slightest bit unstable. (infact this is even more sensitive than artifacts since it starts showing at lower clocks than when the gpu starts showing artifacts)

You'll be fine if you are not too hard on your gpu. Its burning here nowadays. don't know what your ambients are like.
Maintain adequate cooling in your system and I guess you'll not get this error even in Win 7.

btw Win 7 indeed has a habit of being very picky. I encounter memory errors and display errors more on Win 7 than on any previous windows version.

Last edited by Free Radical; 14-05-10 at 02:04 PM.
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-10   #7
teh geeK!
[E]onian
getting into competitive CS
1.6 once more

BULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly Famed

@ Op

SAme problem I faced using my 3870X2.
I was playing COD4 @ 1440*900 and the same message used to pop up after, hmmmm, say 30 mins of gameplay. PC freezes for a few seconds then everything is all right again. I think its a problem due to overheating.
After some days, my card went kapoot, something weired happened as display was coming in my pc and I can do normal work but open gl mode was supported no longer.
After getting my nvidia card, I never faced any issue. So please be careful about your gpu temps right away.
Q6600 G0 cooled by OCZ Vendetta 2, Asus Maximus Formula X38, GTX 260, 1*WD Cavier Black + 1*320 GB WD Cavier Blue, Corsair HX 620 Watt, Antec 900, Razer Lycosa Mirror Edition, Razer Deathadder 3500 dpi, Beyerdynamic DT 990, Maverick D1 Audio Dac
BULLZI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-10   #8
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
bleh

Aumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly Admirable

I think its a Win7 driver issue. While I had an X1900XTX, the reason that EVER showed up ( a few times its reared its ugly head ), is because the card was overheating. The fix? Create new driver profiles to fix the overheating. I'm guessing the WinXP drivers are fine because they have better profiles for fan and voltage control, while it may not have been implemented well in Win7.

( Also, AA makes the gfx card do MOAR work, making it hotter, My X1900XTX went up by 12-14C while at load )

Just my $.02
Desktop - Core i5 4670K - 4.2Ghz @ 1.16v | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 | Gigabyte Z87-D3HP | EVGA GTX550 Ti 1GB DDR5 | HD555 | Fiio E7 | Ikari Optical | TVS Gold | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB SSD + Seagate 7200.10 500GB | Seagate Expansion 2TB USB3 | BenQ GW2255HM

Mobile - iPhone 5S Gold 16GB - 7.0.3 Jailbroken with Activator; Nexus 7 - Stock 4.4.2; T-Mo G2 - CM7; Skullcandy Ink'd 2 Headset.
Aumkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-10   #9
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

I have faced this issue too but on the igp on the mobo which was incidentally ati too, but the old 4350 I have hasnt given this error at all and its passively cooler version, I am talking about the win 7 only.

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-10   #10
teh priesT!
[E]onian

Dr.Hojay is highly AdmirableDr.Hojay is highly AdmirableDr.Hojay is highly AdmirableDr.Hojay is highly AdmirableDr.Hojay is highly AdmirableDr.Hojay is highly AdmirableDr.Hojay is highly Admirable

ok UPDATE : got another random crash... after disabling the power play feature and upping the card voltage i was was able to play for a few hours - but then randomly had another crash later.so i still don't really know what the problem really is .. if you're planning to get this card and use it on win 7 - i'd say stay away. It's really sad that ati is taking so fricken long to fix this .. like someone said somewhere - lucky for ati their comeptition is in worse shape than they are - you don't have to be the best just better than the other guy ...

imo - it's definitely a driver / os issue - if anyone knows anything please do share.
Old 17-05-10   #11
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
bleh

Aumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly Admirable

Maybe your Win7 install is messed up. Reinstall drivers, and clean up the registry.
Aumkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-10   #12
teh priesT!
[E]onian

i have tried EVERYTHING there is to try.Have posted this only after trying every single thing i've read about or could think up .
Old 24-05-10   #13
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.

maroam is Mysterious

having the same problem, made two PC identical to each other. with i5 750, ati 5850 4g ddr3, i can play mass effect, metro 2033, fallout 3 with mods with max settings. has no problems. its not a heating problem as i have the biggest CPU fan on the market as I'm planning to over clock but as of right now i am not. got at least 2 fans pushing air on the GPU. i know for a fact from benchmarks that metro is more demanding and i play that max settings no problem with OK FPS, i looked on a few sites one says to uninstall ATI CCC command center, install Stream KernelAnalyzer 1.5, set the game to run as admin by default. with no luck. this is a error with the game that needs to be resolved with a patch. as of right now the console version of the games did get a patch. as its faster for them to get patches then the PC. its not ATI or INVIDA as both cards are having the same problem. its not XP or Win 7 as there are mods to allow the game to run in XP and it still crashes, just less . i was able to download the steam version to test it out and with the CD version i have they both have the same problem. i could play for a hour or 5 min it will crash, i can be flying over a city or i can be driving in a jungle with out any solid idea why this is happening, its not the water effect or explosions.
maroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-10   #14
Unelected
Staff
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

There are many causes of TDR's (timeout detection and recovery). Mostly this is a hardware issue. It could be a problem with the RAM, Mobo, PSU or the card itself. The usual culprit is the RAM or incorrect voltage settings in the Mobo/RAM.

The solution for TDR's can be :

Stop overclock.
Replace RAM.
Replace PSU.
Replace video card.
Replace motherboard.
Increase RAM voltage.
Reduce RAM speed.
Reduce video card speed.
Increase video card fan speed.
Increase case cooling.
Clean and reinstall video driver.

So it can be a lot of issues. Best of luck.
Old 24-05-10   #15
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.

maroam is Mysterious

i did see a post where a person removed ram and resolved his problem with the same error but different game. ill do a ram test to see, and have the other PC to test it out. as i payed a little extra for the brand i got and its DDR3 if both PCs crash, as I'm not overclocking any thing, and the mother bord and hardware from every post i have seen of this problem 10+ different rigs its going to be a software problem. as on most posts people have used drivers that are up to date to one year old. replaced there entire rig for new, at no time did they have the same brand/OEM. could be win 7 display properties could be any software problem but its not very likely its a hardware problem. ill be back tomorrow with the tests results. you might be right that's a ram problem as it could be the game itself is very intensive on the sticks.
maroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply