Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Interesting News on the Web
Register Forgot Password?

Old 24-11-14   #1
teh zeuS!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
I'M bACK

Icon7 Google’s Android One Program Is a Flop, Sales Way Behind Any Expectations

It looks like Google’s Android One project to tap into the emerging markets where smartphones adoption is still on a low level hasn’t received enough positive feedback to be considered successful.
Despite the search giant’s attempts to gain more market share in the emerging markets, customers and retailers alike don’t seem interested in Google’s Android One products.

India is the first country where Google introduced its Android One pilot project, but results after two months are discouraging. However, the fault may be on Google’s part as the search giant has decided not to sell any Android One phones through physical stores.

Three native handset makers agreed to launch Android One smartphones in India: Karbonn, Micromax and Spice. These Android One smartphones were launched in India back in September, but they were only available through three online retailers: Amazon, Flipkart and Snapdeal.

According to Indian publication The Economic Times, the fact that Google refused to sell any Android One smartphones through other channels than online attracted local brick and mortar retailers’ wrath.

The direct result is the fact that neither of the major physical retailers stocked Android One smartphones and they are less likely to do it now if Google doesn’t change something in its selling policy.

Sangeetha Mobiles MD Subhash Chandra said that “since Android One decided not to sell in physical stores during its launch, we, as part of modern trade, have decided not to stock Android One either.” The margin offered by Google to retailers for Android One phones is lower than industry's average

Another aspect would be the fact that the margin offered by Google for these Android One smartphones is around 3-4%, which is far lower than the industry average of 9-10%.

Obviously, this would be another reason for the physical retailer not to stock the Android One devices, but that could have been avoided if Google had at least negotiated with any of the major companies like Croma, Future Group, Planet MRetail, Next Retail, BiC, Lot Mobile, Reliance Retail or Sangeetha Mobiles.

Earlier this month, at least two retail chains started to sell Android One handsets, but officials of both The MobileStore and UniverCell doubt that they will add more devices to their portfolios due to low sales.

Last but not least, PlanetM Chief Executive Officer Sanjav Karwa claims that Google should find a way bring the price of Android smartphones even lower. Currently, Android One phones sell in India for prices between Rs 5,900 and Rs 6,500 outright.

However, Karwa says that for an Android smartphone to sell very well in India, it needs to cost around Rs 2,000 or Rs 3,000.
The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-14   #2
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.

nimod is Mysterious
Re: Google’s Android One Program Is a Flop, Sales Way Behind Any Expectations

I suppose the biggest reason is Redmi 1s.

@tapatalk
ratheeshkannan likes this.
nimod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-14   #3
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!

I love to see big company like Google fail.

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-14   #4
teh zeuS!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
I'M bACK

The Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply Great

Originally Posted by ManISinJpr ♦ View Post
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !! I love to see big company like Google fail.
You love MS that's why
ManISinJpr likes this.
The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-14   #5
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

ratheeshkannan is very Notable

Definitely Redmi is the reason, they should've released those items directly under nexus brand like nexus one instead of combining with already downed companies. they can ask them to market but under nexus name and it might've sold like hot cakes but before redmi storm took over.
AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE 3.4GHz (OC In Progress) -=- ASUS - M5A97 R2.0 -=- ASUS AMD HD 7970 CU II Top -=- Transcend DDR3 1333 4Gb x 2 -=- Seagate 2tb SATA III -=- ADATA Premier Pro 64 GB SSD Internal Hard Drive - SATA III -=- Corsair TX650M -=- NZXT Phantom 410 - Samsung 22x - DVD Combo drive -=- Asus Xonar DG Soundcard -=- Creative T6060 5.1 Speakers -=- TVS Bharath Gold Mechanical Keyboard -=- Razer Naga Mouse -=- Logitech C310 - HD Webcam -=- Dell 2420L FHD 24" LED -=- APC 650 -=- Antec Kuhler 920 Liquid CPU Cooler -=-

Canon 70D -=- Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C -=- Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens -=- Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens -=- Nissin Di866 MARK II (For Canon) Flash -=- Lowepro Orion DayPack 200 Backpack -=-
ratheeshkannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply