Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Everything Under the Sun
Register Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: Should Google have made Moto G a Flipkart exclusive?
Yes 20 48.78%
No 17 41.46%
Not sure/Cant say 4 9.76%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-14   #1
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery
Was Google Right to Make Moto G a Flipkart Exclusive?

Google/Motorola's Moto G has been a huge hit in India so far. The 16GB version being sold out in first 15 minutes of the launch on Feb 6 and the 8GB version is also selling like hot cakes.

"It is extremely overwhelming. We were surprised. We did not expect this kind of response. It was more than the traffic on peak Diwali rush. Our site also went down for a couple of minutes on February 6, the day of launch, due to traffic," Flipkart co-founder and CEO Sachin Bansal told PTI.

"Our page views increased by 100% during the launch and Moto G page saw a million page views on February 6. Also, inbound calls to customer support number doubled and we had close to 20,000 queries on Moto G alone during the day," Bansal said.

Going further, Flipkart hinted that it wants continue launching Google phones exclusively in India.

"Definitely, I think both Motorola and Flipkart are seeking a long term relationship. Sure, I think we do see and actually hope that we do get to do more such things together." Bansal said.

Now it is strange that Google has chosen Flipkart to be the exclusive distributor for this much sought after phone in India. Why would they not want to make it a free for all like in other Android phones so that people have a variety of sellers to buy from. I think there are two primary reasons for this.

1) Online retailers can sell are very low margins compared to brick-and-mortar shops because their overheads are low. Flipkart has probably agreed to taking very low margins for this phone. This has enabled Google to bring the price to Indian consumers at a very low price. Typically phone companies enforce a strict minimum selling price for all sellers in India. This prevents any one seller from selling at very low margins and starting a price war which hurts everyone. Even if a online seller sells some phone for too low then the other retailers rush to the company with complaints who then force the seller to jack up the prices. By using a single seller, Google have avoided this problem though I am sure that other companies must be furiously complaining to Google against this decision. However in this case they can probably only bark and not bite as they cant threaten to boycott Motorola or Android.

2) Flipkart also promoted the product very aggressively. I started getting mails about this product weeks in advance, which is unusual for Flipkart to do for a single product. They made a special page for it and also are also advertising it all over the place which is probably adding to the buzz around this smartphone model.

Flipkart have a very wide and efficient distribution network so Google might not have lost too many customers due to lack of distribution, however there are still a lot of people who like to buy their phones from physical shops instead of online. Flipkart also doesn't reach each an every remote place in India and these people may be left out.

Time will tell if Google's strategy of selling through exclusive online retailers pays off in India. Do let us know of your thoughts on this in the comments below and by voting in the poll.
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-14   #2
teh zeuS!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Common Sense - A Superpower

Fenix is highly AdmirableFenix is highly AdmirableFenix is highly AdmirableFenix is highly AdmirableFenix is highly AdmirableFenix is highly AdmirableFenix is highly Admirable
Re: Was Google Right to Make Moto G a Flipkart Exclusive?

It was right,Google and Moto dont have hardware presence like other companies. That was also one of the reason for its deal with LENOVO for ASIA. If the profits soar in,they will make more phones for ASIAN Subcontinent . Vijay, Its atleast better than Apple who are selling almost 3 years old phone at 20k .
punjab_ak47 and Ankit6688 like this.
Old 10-02-14   #3
Cat in the rat race
Incognito

ChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly Famed

I also think it was a good decision. FlipKart remains one of the most well known online shopping portals in India (despite the recent debacles), and Google simply took advantage of that fact.

I am more excited that Moto G launched at closer to its price in US - which is a great thing. Had this phone launched with a 15K+ price tag, it wouldn't have sold in such huge numbers.
ManISinJpr likes this.
Old 10-02-14   #4
teh spamm[E]R!
-

Rig Gallery

Free Radical is extemely Distinguished
Free Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely Distinguished

I am strictly against such practices. Monopoly much?

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear x-rays, and I wanna, I wanna smell dark matter!
Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly, because I have to, I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting, spoken language. But I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me!
I'm a machine, and I could know much more, I could experience so much more, but I'm trapped in this absurd body!
And why?! Because my...creators thought that "God" wanted it that way.
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-14   #5
teh zeuS!

Fenix is highly AdmirableFenix is highly AdmirableFenix is highly AdmirableFenix is highly AdmirableFenix is highly AdmirableFenix is highly AdmirableFenix is highly Admirable

Monopoly but with a competition and not saying anything in favour of FK but they did a good job. I hope they sell like 2-3 lakhs or more in numbers.
Fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-14   #6
Neo[t]
SteelSeries SenSei <3

prateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply Great

Well , since they have no distributor in India , this was a start...im waiting to see where snapdeal get their stock from....

Also...the boxes received from flipkart..none had a seal.All were assembled in India,Phone made in China , Charger and Earphones made in India...The battery has instructions written on it in 4-5 different languages including hindi...

And the import sticker shows "Flipkart India PVT LTD" as importer , so they dont have to distribute it to other companies...

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
Monopoly but with a competition and not saying anything in favour of FK but they did a good job. I hope they sell like 2-3 lakhs or more in numbers.
No competition.
prateekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-14   #7
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Originally Posted by prateekS View Post
..none had a seal.
What do you mean by "None had a seal" ? You mean there was no sealing sticker/shrinkwrap?
Old 10-02-14   #8
teh priesT!
[E]onian
[E]ddicted !

mohitgamer is highly Reputablemohitgamer is highly Reputablemohitgamer is highly Reputable

Price low or high, Its always good to compare the deals/discounts or offers available at other vendors/websites.
They could have made it available at 3-4 multiple vendors/websites rather than making it FK exclusive.
Fenix likes this.
Old 10-02-14   #9
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
alive and kicking

Veyron is highly AdmirableVeyron is highly AdmirableVeyron is highly AdmirableVeyron is highly AdmirableVeyron is highly Admirable

when i cheked 16gb was always out of stock.
now the real issue is warranty. as moto has closed shop in most countries.
Veyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-14   #10
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.

drsingh is Mysterious

Flipkart is the most popular online retail destination and has better customer service than others.

It gives google /Motorola a wider audience and they can push for exclusive deals such as big banner on the landing page and promotional offers.

They don't have much of a retail presence. It's tough in the retail space now. Indian /Chinese companies give hefty margins while maintaining little overhead on service and spares.

Flipkart 30 day replacement for doa products is best online/offline.

It's easier to deal with just one retailer and let them handle promotions etc so that there's not much marketing overhead and price can be kept low.
Fenix likes this.
drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-14   #11
Neo[t]
SteelSeries SenSei <3

prateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply Great

Originally Posted by vijayninel View Post
What do you mean by "None had a seal" ? You mean there was no sealing sticker/shrinkwrap?
Normally phone boxes have a seal on them...of their respective manufacturers...this came in a thin plastic wrapping..nothing else...

Also Flipkart has given every Moto G customer a List of service centres for Moto G...in Mumbai , there are just 3 , that too in Mulund,Panvel and Vashi..

Panvel and Vashi are in New Bombay...all three are mobile shops/third party repair shops...
prateekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-14   #12
teh geeK!
I havent set my status yet.

kartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirable

I never liked only one reseller concept
kartikoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-14   #13
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
Proud Nexu5 Fanboy

Sobirvs is very Notable

Hate the concept of exclusivity. I guess Motorola didn't have any option as it's said above. I wish it was released at local shops. Would have been easy for me as my Dad knows almost all distributors here and have contacts so more discount for me I was getting Nexus 5 from distributor for 28.2k but rather I went for Google for 29k just for the sexy RMA policy they have

Originally Posted by prateekS View Post
Also Flipkart has given every Moto G customer a List of service centres for Moto G...in Mumbai , there are just 3 , that too in Mulund,Panvel and Vashi..
I received that list too, there was only one Service center here which was at Shastri Nagar(a place which is 3kms away), I called on the provided number right away and the guy told me that they had authorized Motorola's service center like 2 years back, but it's not there anymore. Oh well, didn't bother to contact Flipkart as the phone is perfect, and in this price range , nothing comes close so.. whatever.
Sobirvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-14   #14
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
~404

roofrider is Mysterious

I don't know if this was Google's or Moto's decision. Afaik FK has tied up with Moto, not Google.
Originally Posted by vijayninel View Post
Going further, Flipkart hinted that it wants continue launching Google phones exclusively in India.
Not sure what that means, no way FK can exercise control over the Nexus line.
Anyway, i read FK's exclusivity will last only for the first two weeks. I'd be suicide to have it completely exclusive.
Now that Moto is no longer owned by Google, i don't think their future products will receive a similar overwhelming response.

Someone cmiiw, haven't really been keeping up with the news.
roofrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-14   #15
teh zeuS!

I am sure - MOTO/FK/GOOGLE never expected that this phone would do good. They thought that it would bomb like the other Moto smartphones,that explains 20000 pieces only . If they had enough confidence,it would have been more. They wanted to take a risk and thus went with FK as it is one of top e-retailers in India. They never wanted to take a chance of making millions of phones and selling just a few hundred thousands,no one likes left over stock in the warehouse . Similar to what happened with Microsoft Surface. I have myself ordered two 16GB and when my Wife saw this phone,her reaction was - I WANT THIS PHONE . I wonder where did Snapdeal got their stock from ? And i guess some seller on ebay are reeking money as they are selling this phone from 14k for 8GB to 22k for the 16GB.
Fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply