Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Launchpad > News
Register Forgot Password?
Post New News  Reply

Article Tools Search this Article

Old
Google Hangouts Now Get the Ability to Make Phone Calls
by vijayninel 11-07-13

Google has added the ability to make phone calls to its new Hangouts service and to the Hangouts interface in Gmail. Calls to the US and Canada are now free from all countries where Hangouts calling is available.

Google had announced Hangouts, a unified messaging service that merged its various messaging platforms including Google Talk, Google+ Hangouts, Messenger and Google Talk for Google+, at the Google I/O event in May. However, it until now it only offered text and video chat. Google has said that it's rolling out the service to all users over the next couple of days.

To make voice calls to phone numbers, users need to simply need to look for the new "Call a phone" menu item in Google+ or press the phone icon in Hangouts within Gmail. They can then dial a number or select one from their Google contacts to make a phone call.

The updated voice calls service also includes the ability to add multiple phone numbers and video participants to the same call. Users can also play sound effects (like applause or laughter) with the Google Effects app when on a phone call.

Google has also said that "Hangouts is designed to be the future of Google Voice, and making and receiving calls is just the beginning. "

Indian phone numbers are charged at 2 cents (Rs 1.20) per minute and one needs to add credit in multiples of $10 (Rs 600) to your account in order to make phone calls, except for calls to the US and Canada which are now free. Previously, free calling to numbers in these regions was available only to users located in US and Canada.

For the call rates in your country please see here: https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/rates?hl=en&p=hangout

It will be interesting to see what effect Google hangouts has if any on forums or social networking sites.
Views 2407 Comments 10
Total Comments 10

Comments

Old 11-07-13
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble
Re: Google Hangouts Now Get the Ability to Make Phone Calls

OK move, Google wants to control and make its presence everywhere which includes its pathetic privacy option and policies and so do the other companies.. !
I would not find it surprising if I read that Google is listening to your calls and taking out keywords for ads to be displayed ! like it does with all other services it offers.. !!

I have since some time stopped using Google as my main email provider too and wish that more and more people realize the policies that it employs !!

On record I can say that this company is worse than the Prism spying one from US !!
Old 11-07-13
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Game On!

mrnikhilsudo is highly Reputablemrnikhilsudo is highly Reputablemrnikhilsudo is highly Reputablemrnikhilsudo is highly Reputable

The Govt has been listening in on all our calls for a long time bro

4 Beta
Old 12-07-13
teh priesT!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

MadDog is highly ReputableMadDog is highly ReputableMadDog is highly ReputableMadDog is highly Reputable

Last edited by MadDog; 12-07-13 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-07-13
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent
Rig Gallery

Originally Posted by mrnikhilsudo View Post
The Govt has been listening in on all our calls for a long time bro
Very true. And for those who think that Microsoft is washed in milk, here is a good story in the Guardian Revealed: how Microsoft handed the NSA access to encrypted messages | World news | The Guardian

Microsoft has collaborated closely with US intelligence services to allow users' communications to be intercepted, including helping the National Security Agency to circumvent the company's own encryption, according to top-secret documents obtained by the Guardian.

The files provided by Edward Snowden illustrate the scale of co-operation between Silicon Valley and the intelligence agencies over the last three years. They also shed new light on the workings of the top-secret Prism program, which was disclosed by the Guardian and the Washington Post last month.

The documents show that:

Microsoft helped the NSA to circumvent its encryption to address concerns that the agency would be unable to intercept web chats on the new Outlook.com portal;

The agency already had pre-encryption stage access to email on Outlook.com, including Hotmail;

The company worked with the FBI this year to allow the NSA easier access via Prism to its cloud storage service SkyDrive, which now has more than 250 million users worldwide;

Microsoft also worked with the FBI's Data Intercept Unit to "understand" potential issues with a feature in Outlook.com that allows users to create email aliases;

In July last year, nine months after Microsoft bought Skype, the NSA boasted that a new capability had tripled the amount of Skype video calls being collected through Prism;
Old 12-07-13
teh priesT!
[E]onian
does this count as annoying?

bharat14101991 is very Honorablebharat14101991 is very Honorable

all this reminds me of the novel 'digital fortress' , may that 'prism' thing end up like the one in novel.
rooney2messi likes this.
Old 21-07-13
teh nuB!
Watching Death Note n lovin it

rooney2messi is Mysterious

Originally Posted by bharat14101991 View Post
all this reminds me of the novel 'digital fortress' , may that 'prism' thing end up like the one in novel.
I have heard many great things about the novel n the past and now after you mentioned it, i wanna read it even more. will read it soon.
Btw nice feature additions from google, but with our invaded privacy its of less priority.
kavyach likes this.
Old 21-07-13
teh priesT!
[E]onian
does this count as annoying?

bharat14101991 is very Honorablebharat14101991 is very Honorable

Originally Posted by rooney2messi View Post
I have heard many great things about the novel n the past and now after you mentioned it, i wanna read it even more. will read it soon.
Btw nice feature additions from google, but with our invaded privacy its of less priority.
one of the best novels out there... read it at the earliest...
Old 17-01-19
teh nuB!

olivia545 is Mysterious

Hello guys, I need suggetion from you actually I am getting Gmail error 007 while accessing my Gmail account. Anyone else faced this type of issue? Can anyone suggest me any solution in this matter?
Old 29-04-19
teh nuB!

Ant111 is Mysterious

Nice move from google
Old 25-06-19
Banned

divyaraletta is Mysterious

hey!! it is a great facility i really liked it...thanks google
https://technologymoon.com/
Post New News  Reply
Please share with friends!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search

Similar News
Article Author Forum Replies Last Post
A Phone in 7-8K Range That Can Clearly Record All Calls Automatically. Argus Mobile Phone Buying Advice 0 31-05-13 11:15 AM
Google calls Apple a Liar Cyn1c Interesting News on the Web 4 19-09-09 02:30 PM
Steve Ballmer calls Chrome OS "highly interesting," says Google "can't make up their vijayninel Interesting News on the Web 8 16-07-09 07:46 AM
Intel PCs to wake up for phone calls gamer Everything Under the Sun 1 25-08-08 12:07 AM
UK may store all phone calls and emails Mav3ricK Interesting News on the Web 0 22-05-08 11:28 AM

Tags
ability, calls, google, hangouts, make, phone