Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Cooling and Overclocking
Register Forgot Password?

Old 25-01-11   #1
teh spamm[E]R!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
I havent set my status yet.

Rig Gallery
Gigabyte P67A-UD7 + Intel 2600K @ 5.6G + MSI GTX580 Living Review - Work in Progress

Finally 2600K has landed in Indian shores. Ofcourse officially it still wont be available through Intel till 1st/2nd Week of February, and for now its only available through SMC International.

Thanks to Gigabyte already had a P67A-UD7 board as a review sample. So here I would be going ahead and looking into the board into detail, with BIOS screenshot and settings, alongwith overclocking the hell out of the i7 2600K on air with V6GT, thanks to CoolerMaster. Initial impression is that its almost equal to/better than Thermalright Venomous X, which is hell of an achievement considering CoolerMaster's previous attempts at making high-end heatsinks. Also I have been told that its going to priced very low now at only Rs. 4250 from SMC which is hell of an attractive price IMO.

SYSTEM SPECS

CPU - Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD7
Ram - Kingston Hyper X 2000Mhz CL7
CPU Cooler - CoolerMaster V6GT
Graphic Card - MSI GTX580

PSU - CoolerMaster Silent Pro 1000W

For now though only a few regular pictures of the Motherboard and the CPU.

Gigabyte P67A-UD7 Box, with its Black front/back and Golden side certainly looks great and is a big departure from earlier Blue scheme that Gigabyte had.

Back side of the Box which details all of the features of the motherboard.

Internal Box which keeps the motherboard safe, even if the outer box gets damaged during shipping.

And finally the board in full glory. The all black board is certainly one of the most attractive motherboard that I have seen from any manufacturer. Also would go nicely with all those black internal cabinets. The Black and Golden heatsink also adds another dimension to the looks.

Ofcourse to be honest my pathetic photography skills cannot do justice to this board which looks much better in flesh.

Feast on a few more pictures while I brush up my photography,

Finally we arrive at 2600K. Very small package, Intel is saving up on money it seems, I doubt the heatsink can handle even stock load temp,

And we have bootup. No point in booting up on stock clocks, . So booted straight up at 4Ghz. Had to leave for office, so all I was able to do is 5 minutes of testing. Will be doing much more testing and overclocking in the coming few days and will be posting results in this thread.

Do let me know if you want me to run any specific tests, other than my standard, superpi, wprime, pifast, PCMark 05/Vantage, 3dMark01/03/05/06/11, Vantage, Cinebench and Unigine Heaven
Maximus V Gene (MSI Z77-GD65, Gigabyte P67A-UD7, EVGA Classified E760,MSI Eclipse,DFI DK P45 Plus, Foxconn Mars, Asus P5Ne-SLI, Asus P5B Deluxe/Wifi AP), Intel 3770k Benched @ 6.7Ghz, Intel 2600K Benched @ 5.7 Ghz, AMD 8150 Benched @ 7.45 Ghz, Intel 980X Benched @ 6.07Ghz, AMD 970BE Benched @ 6.63Ghz, (Intel i5 680 Benched @ 6.44Ghz, Intel i7 950 Benched @ 5150Mhz, Intel E8600 Benched @ 5.71Ghz, Intel QX9650 Benched @5.41Ghz, Intel Core2 Duo E8400@4.6Ghz, e4300 @ 3.52 Ghz), Thermalright Venomous X, GSkill 6400 2 x 1 GB @ 1260Mhz , HIS 7970 (MSI GTX 580, MSI GTX 480, EVGA GTX295, Asus 4870 x2, EVGA 9800GX2, Visiontek 3870 x2, XFX 8800GT, Nvidia 7900GTX, XFX 8600GT), DELL E248WFP Monitor, CoolerMaster Benchtable, Antec HCP 1200W, Altec Lansing 641 400 RMS Watts with Auzentech X-Plosion

SVGTECH HOC40 and HOC20 Review

Corsair Vengeance K90, M90 and M60 Review

Gigabyte P67 UD7 + Intel i7 2600k Preview

Strontium Ultra Speed 128GB SSD Review

Gigabyte GX-X58A-UD9 Review

Last edited by thebanik; 17-03-11 at 10:07 AM.
thebanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-11   #2
teh spamm[E]R!

Rig Gallery

thebanik is extemely Distinguished
thebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguished
Re: Gigabyte P67A-UD7 + Intel 2600K + MSI GTX580 Living Review - Work in Progress

BIOS & OVERCLOCKING

Coming back to the board and overclocking on it, lets have a look at the BIOS first, wont be showing anything apart from the MIT (MB Intelligent Tweaker) section, since Gigabyte is still using Award Bios which most of us would be comfortable in navigating, though Gigabyte has confirmed a hybrid UEFI BIOS for this as well all other P/H67, x58, P/H55, P45 etc. Gigabyte boards. Though using mouse in the hybrid UEFI board would not be possible but as per Gigabyte using a hybrid BIOS would mean we would have the maturity of Award BIOS and special features of UEFI.

MIT Current Status screen which shows current status of the components like CPU and Ram

Advanced Frequency Settings Screen is one of the most important screen in the BIOS, this is where we can configure the multiplier and the Bclk.

To change Multiplier, set CPU Clock Ratio.

To change base clock change setting BCLK/DMI/PEG Clock Control to Enable and BCLK/DMI/PEG Frequency to whatever your CPU can boot up with.

***Overclocking may damage your computer, you need to ensure that you have proper Cooling on the CPU, still its never safe, perform the next step at your own risk***

Advanced CPU Core Features Page where we can select the number of active cores, disable/enable HT, and disable/enable CPU features like CIE, C3/C6 State, Thermal Monitor, EIST etc.

This is also the page which brings us a new type of overclocking, purely based on Power Limit of the CPU in Watts/Amps. And though not as efficient as the tried and tested method of Bclk/Multiplier overclocking but this method also works. All we need to do is enable Turbo Boost technology. Then set up Turbo Power Limit & Core Current Limit to something like 200 ,and then either you can leave everything else on Auto(you might also need to raise up your volts) or ofcourse set the max multipliers manually. **Overclocking may damage your computer, you need to ensure that you have proper Cooling on the CPU, still its never safe, perform the next step at your own risk***

Lets move onto the next BIOS screen Advanced Memory Settings

Now we move onto the one of the most important screen in the BIOS, that is Advanced Voltage Settings

Let me explain the most Important Settings on this screen, and what all you need to change for a successful overclock till around 4.6-5Ghz(and if you are lucky maybe more)

Load Line Calibration - Options are Standard/Level1/Level2. What this settings does is it controls VDroop (Vdroop is when your CPU voltage goes lower in Operating System than the set value in BIOS, this happens due to the stress), by changing this setting to Level 1 or Level 2, what your motherboard does is controls the vdroop and overvolts the CPU a bit so as not to cause Overclocking failure.

QPI/Vtt - Havent read the new architecture completely so this might have changed but this is for the IMC of the CPU, which helps when you are overclocking your memory or trying to make it stable. 1.1V - 1.20V is safe range up from 1.05V default volts and would allow you to even go for 2133Mhz if your Ram supports the speed.

System Agent Voltage - This is equivalent to Uncore Volts in x58 platform, and is the setting for voltage of everything which is not part of the main core of the CPU. Setting it to .975 volts, up from the default of 0.925 helps again in memory overclocking

PCH Core - Setting for Southbridge, and generally doesnt need to be meddled with. Default is 1.05V.

CPU PLL - This is what helps in multiplier overclocking, that is when you are raising multiplier above 46/47 and though an important setting but doesnt need to be bumped up much above 1.88-1.92V

DRam Voltage - Depends upon your memory stick. Safe range is between 1.5V-1.7V depending upon your memory.

Have been playing to get max clocks instead of running benchmarks on standard speed hence results would be posting later. Though results are pretty decent I would say. Post here if you need any help in overclocking these CPUs on Gigabyte motherboards, Have a pretty good understanding of Gigabyte settings and would certainly try and help.

Last edited by thebanik; 27-01-11 at 02:08 PM.
Old 25-01-11   #3
teh spamm[E]R!

Rig Gallery

thebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguished
Re: Gigabyte P67A-UD7 + Intel 2600K + MSI GTX580 Living Review - Work in Progress

Time to bump up the thread. Was looking for a golden chip for the past few weeks. Though not golden but found a chip definitely better than average. Here are some results, on air. Would post more results in the coming days/weeks. After that, plan to put it under Dice.

Pretty nice board for sure :

Some results from the earlier chip :

Put the chip on DICE because was not able to run some of multi-threaded 3D tests because of heat. Some of the results below, waiting for the setup to dry out to get more screenshots :

wPrime 1024m - 2min 17sec 749ms - (Intel Core i7 2600K @5593MHz)
wPrime 32m - 4sec 374ms - (Intel Core i7 2600K @5593MHz)
3DMark2001 SE - 119043 marks
3DMark06 - 38770 marks
3DMark05 - 49433 marks
3DMark03 - 130729 marks

Last edited by thebanik; 16-03-11 at 10:24 PM.
Old 25-01-11   #4
teh spamm[E]R!

Rig Gallery

*Reserved*
Old 25-01-11   #5
teh spamm[E]R!

Rig Gallery

*Reserved*
Old 25-01-11   #6
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
figuring out a movie to watch

KrashNBurn is extremely Eminent
KrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely Eminent

The board looks gorgeous !!
... and isnt this part of the package??

You can run, but you can't hide!

KrashNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-11   #7
teh spamm[E]R!

Rig Gallery

Originally Posted by krashnburn View Post
The board looks gorgeous !!
... and isnt this part of the package??
NO, thats 980X's cooler, . 2600K cooler as mentioned earlier is puny. Would post a pic of it shortly...
Old 25-01-11   #8
Lead Lead
Administrator
12 years a admin!

Rig Gallery

KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!
KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!

I think they are rather happy that they have pulled down the TDP to 95 W and are able to get away with a even smaller stock cooler!

KiD0M4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-11   #9
teh spamm[E]R!

Rig Gallery

Originally Posted by KiD0M4N View Post
I think they are rather happy that they have pulled down the TDP to 95 W and are able to get away with a even smaller stock cooler!
Yup, knowing Intel, they would have done rigorous testing, and I was just exaggerating when I said it cannot handle stock load temps. I am sure it can, ofcourse the temp. maynot be to our liking but I guess the processor would continue running for year with those puny coolers.
Old 25-01-11   #10
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
figuring out a movie to watch

KrashNBurn is extremely Eminent
KrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely EminentKrashNBurn is extremely Eminent

Originally Posted by thebanik View Post
NO, thats 980X's cooler, . 2600K cooler as mentioned earlier is puny. Would post a pic of it shortly...
Crap !! I told some friends that it comes with the new 2600K
Never seen that one before. Oh well not that they know better
KrashNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-11   #11
Lead Lead
Administrator
12 years a admin!

Rig Gallery

KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!
KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!

That's alright. They would be too busy oogling at the air clocks to worry too much about the cooler!
KiD0M4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-11   #12
MOZ
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
That's Me!

Rig Gallery

MOZ is highly ProminentMOZ is highly ProminentMOZ is highly Prominent

I have to, absolutely have to attend the OC session on this one. So when do I come to ur place? DICE? LN2?

Hell, I'm calling you.
MOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-11   #13
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Brainstorming

Rig Gallery

coolgame is highly Reputablecoolgame is highly Reputablecoolgame is highly Reputablecoolgame is highly Reputable

wohoo!!! the long awaited review at lastttttt!!!!!!

coolgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-11   #14
teh spamm[E]R!

Rig Gallery

Bios and overclocking section added. Would be adding scores later since was busy getting the best clocks out of the setup instead of running at a standard speed,
Old 27-01-11   #15
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Brainstorming

Rig Gallery

coolgame is highly Reputablecoolgame is highly Reputablecoolgame is highly Reputablecoolgame is highly Reputable

@banik:hey i heard that some chips have a max limit in oc ing and only a very few chips can even manage 5 gigs(some multiplier wall limit).what to do if u get such a chip?could u explain the problem more in detail?
coolgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply