Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Bikes and Cars
Register Forgot Password?

Old 02-06-09   #1
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery
General Motors is Bankrupt

General Motors is Bankrupt
Icon of U.S Industrial Strength to Goes Down

GM shares plunge 32%; NYSE to delist stocks, GM to Become PSU

Car giant General Motors (GM) has filed for bankruptcy protection, marking the biggest failure of an industrial company in US history. The widely expected move comes after GM had seen its losses widen following a steep fall in sales in recent years.

The move into bankruptcy protection has been backed by the US government, which is now expected to take a 60% stake in the company. The White House is also going to put another $30bn (18.5bn) into GM.

President Barack Obama described the move as "tough" but said it was "also fair" and added it would "give this iconic American company a chance to rise again". He said that the US government, which will own 60% of the carmaker, would be a "reluctant shareholder" and that he had no interest in running it. As part of the plan, President Obama said that the share of GM cars sold in the US that had been made in the US would rise for the first time in 30 years.

General Motors brands include Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, GM Daewoo, Holden, Hummer, Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Vauxhall and Wuling. These are likely to be sold off now.

BBC NEWS | Business | GM enters bankruptcy protection

Old 02-06-09   #2
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
is demotivated to do
absolutely anything!

BLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly Famed
Re: General Motors is Bankrupt

Heard this one earlier in the day, speculations were rife since a long time...

Though the GM Indian Biz is still secure since the strategies here are good, although people are expected to lose faith in them as half of the business is through related Financials...

http://speedtest.10fastfingers.com/b...m_score_CK.png
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Last edited by BLuEBLOODED; 02-06-09 at 12:55 AM.
BLuEBLOODED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09   #3
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Prophet of the Pimps is highly AdmirableProphet of the Pimps is highly AdmirableProphet of the Pimps is highly AdmirableProphet of the Pimps is highly AdmirableProphet of the Pimps is highly AdmirableProphet of the Pimps is highly Admirable

And America Bitches about other Countries having PSU's. so much for American Capitalism. Welcome to the USSA. Tata should seriously consider Picking up Daewoo. They already own the trucking business.
Old 02-06-09   #4
Semper foo
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Ignorance is Bliss

SignOps is extremely Renowned
SignOps is extremely RenownedSignOps is extremely RenownedSignOps is extremely Renowned

Tata has already burned its fingers with the Jaguar Land Rover deal. Ford benefited a lot.

GM needs to sell most brands and consolidate existing strengths. Without them, the supplier base will collapse.

So much for all those executives who thought they knew everything.

SignOps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09   #5
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

Prophet of the Pimps is highly AdmirableProphet of the Pimps is highly AdmirableProphet of the Pimps is highly AdmirableProphet of the Pimps is highly AdmirableProphet of the Pimps is highly AdmirableProphet of the Pimps is highly Admirable

Tata had to do it or else back then someone else would have picked it up. its was then or never. Though i wished they had to money to buy one of the GM brands now.
Prophet of the Pimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09   #6
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

stonedsurd is extremely Renowned
stonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renowned

LOLFAIL!

Love how the big three are getting their asses handed to them now
stonedsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09   #7
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
is demotivated to do
absolutely anything!

BLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly Famed

^^Ford will take some really bad mixture of calamities to come down...

Easily the best of the lot in terms of Financials, as well as Economics...
Old 02-06-09   #8
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
Alls well that ends in hell

montylee is highly Admirablemontylee is highly Admirablemontylee is highly Admirablemontylee is highly Admirablemontylee is highly Admirablemontylee is highly Admirablemontylee is highly Admirable

no wonder, i see mostly toyota, honda, volswagen around here in US.

montylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09   #9
teh geeK!
[E]onian

prajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famed

this is going to hit the Indian economy as well.

---------------------------------------------------------
Home : Core i5 3470, Z77, 4x4 GB Corsair Vengeance, Corsair 400R
Travel & Work : Dell Latitude E6320

prajith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09   #10
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
Milk provides nutritions!!!

Rig Gallery

initpidzero is simply Greatinitpidzero is simply Greatinitpidzero is simply Greatinitpidzero is simply Greatinitpidzero is simply Greatinitpidzero is simply Greatinitpidzero is simply Greatinitpidzero is simply Greatinitpidzero is simply Greatinitpidzero is simply Greatinitpidzero is simply Great

I think one of the most awaited event of this recession was Bankruptcy of GM, so here it is, let see how it affects jobs in auto industry.
<Trinexx> Linux would be better for that.
<rob89> besides, i like being able to play a game or two
<Trinexx> Linux has games.
<rob89> im not getting linux. windows has great support, ill have this fixed in no time
<Trinexx> Linux has better support.
<rob89> if you say "linux" one more time, im gonna send you a virus
<Trinexx> Good *ucking luck. I'm on Linux.
initpidzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09   #11
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
is demotivated to do
absolutely anything!

Originally Posted by montylee View Post
no wonder, i see mostly Toyota, Honda, Volkswagen around here in US.
That's another cause to not cheer about because the market is essentially the US, but therein lies the problem...I know you are smart enough to figure that out...

Originally Posted by initpidzero View Post
I think one of the most awaited event of this recession was Bankruptcy of GM, so here it is, let see how it affects jobs in auto industry.
It won't mostly, because the companies are most likely going to be sold at a decent price, and all bankruptcies under the Obama Administration have been anything but filthy...

@prajith: It won't, as I have already said, GM India is quite safe and the sales were significant as far as their world sales target was taken into view...

the only worrying bit would be whether people would go ahead and actually finance their Car Loans through GM India and the related financial schemes...

Last edited by BLuEBLOODED; 02-06-09 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-06-09   #12
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

stonedsurd is extremely Renowned
stonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renowned

What I worry most about is the fate of the sub-marques. What will happen to legendary brands like Holden, Pontiac, Caddy and all?

Oh, and Ford just issued this press release, hoping that the fact that GM is now 60% government will not change the field to suit Washington. Understandable concerns, to be sure.
stonedsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09   #13
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

^^ LOL..they dont want PSU's to compete with them.
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09   #14
ਦਿਲ ਆਪਣਾ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ !!!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
I don't wanna set any status..

Rig Gallery

vasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Great

......GM is bankrupt ???? So am I. Whats the big deal ????
Intel Core i5 3550s | Asus P8B75-V | GSkill 8GB DDR3 CL7 1333MHz | MSI 660Ti Power Edition | Wetern Digital Green 2TB | Intel 330 128GB SSD | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo | Corsair TX650V2 | CM Gladiator 600 | Logitech G500 | Steelseries QcK Mass | Logitech Z506 | Samsung 40EH5000 LED TV
vasishta.sushant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09   #15
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Originally Posted by vasishta.sushant View Post
......GM is bankrupt ???? So am I. Whats the big deal ????
At least you're not a PSU...
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply