Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.
Loading

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Buying Help > PC Buying Help
Register Forgot Password?

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-06-15   #1
teh nuB!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.
 
 
cinecon's Avatar

Gaming Setup Under 1 Lac?


Guys need your help, my budget is 1 lac and I need your suggestions on what to buy. My preferences are as below:

1. DO NOT need Monitor, Mouse, Speakers, Keyboard. Entire budget is dedicated to everything else including case.
2. My brand preference is Asus for Motherboard and GPU. I've always been their fan since I was a kid. So fevicol bond there. Maybe GPU brand could be given 2nd thought if it's worth it.
3. I want to overclock the bijeezus out of my system so cooling is a MUST. Even though I want liquid cooling I'd rather save and go for air cooling and spend the remainder on a GPU. So ONLY Air cooling suggestions please.
4. The motherboard needs to be stable and have a good enough OC compatibility (preferrably with auto software) and enough fan headers to support the CASE fans. So please keep that in mind.
5. Colour NO issue. I want performance not Katrina Kaif.

Thanks a ton guys!!

These are what I have in mind as of now (updated list in the last post of this page)
Processor: Core i7 4790k
Mobo: Asus Z97-A
GPU: 1st hand Asus Strix 970 or 2nd hand Asus Strix 980 (other suggestions are welcome)
HDD: 2*2tb Seagate Barracudas (I can rid of 1 if it goes above budget)
Ram: 8gb Kingston Hyper X Fury 1600mhz Dual Channel Single card
PSU: Corsair VS650 (overkill is it?)
Case: Corsair Carbide Spec 03 Steel Series (Red)

YOUR SUGGESTIONS ARE MORE THAN WELCOME!

Last edited by cinecon; 17-06-15 at 10:19 AM.
cinecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-15   #2
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.
 
 
beep's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 119
beep is very Notable
Re: Gaming Setup Under 1 Lac?

I hv 2 products for u
They are great value for money everyone will agree to me here
1. Asus strix 980 3 months old just 38.5k shipped
2. Nzxt x61 280mm cooler @6500 shipped

These 2 will give best bang fe buck


__________________
iif my post is really helpful to you then rep me up by clicking on the heart on the bottom left side my post
beep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-15   #3
Patient_Zero
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Zombie Enthusiast
 
 
realandR3cys's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kolkata, WB
Posts: 2,311
realandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly Admirable
Re: Gaming Setup Under 1 Lac?

Mate you seriously need to change things up a bit from the parts you've chosen :

1. Change that mobo. I wouldn't suggest Z97-A when you're particularly pushing for overclocking and stability.

Atleast settle for the Asus Maximus 7 Ranger or the Sabertooth Mark 2 - both costs around 14.5K
If you can go a little higher, then the Maximus 7 Ranger for 17K

2. For the storage part, cut off one of those 2x2 TB drives.
Take up one 2TB Seagate and then you can invest the rest in atleast a 120GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD for 5K
We'll have to see if your budget allows that.

3. I'd suggest no less than 16GB RAM.
Since you'd be gaming much, and considering the recent game requirements, 16GB should last you for a while.

So, here's what i suggest :

i7 4790K = 23K
Mobo : Asus Maximus 7 Ranger / Sabertooth Mark 2 = 14.5K
RAM : Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8GB 1866mhz = 9.5K

HDD : Seagate Barracuda 2TB = 5.5K
PSU : Seasonic M12ii 620 EVO = 6.3K

That comes to 58.8K with rest for cabby, GPU and cooler.
Once you decide on the GPU we can look for the options on the cooler and cabinet.
cinecon and drkrack like this.
realandR3cys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-15   #4
teh nuB!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.
 

 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 71
clutchtime is Mysterious
Re: Gaming Setup Under 1 Lac?

If you're going for air cooling I do have a thermal right SB-E Extreme CPU Cooler. Its virtually brand new. The best in air cooling.
With regards to the motherboard I would suggest the Z97-Pro . has USB 3.1
16GB RAM is a must.
An SSD is a must ,go for a 120GB boot drive as compulsory . if you have cash left at the end go for a 256GB.
Don't cheapen out on the PSU go for a seasonic or a super flower . they both are simply brilliant.
Lastly get really good case fans. (Can't recommend since I don't know if you have opted for air cooling PR water cooling). Make sure the pressure inside is positive.

cinecon likes this.
clutchtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-15   #5
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Lurking...
 
 
Noctis's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 119
Noctis is Mysterious
Re: Gaming Setup Under 1 Lac?

If you're going to be using it for purely gaming, even the i5-4690K would suffice. It would save you around 7-8k and you could use that to pick up an SSD like the Samsung 850 EVO for the OS boot drive.

As for overclocking on air, check out the Noctua D-15. It's one of the best coolers out there but make sure your case is big enough to support it.
cinecon likes this.
__________________
Core i5 4690K - Asus Sabertooth Mark2 z97 - Asus Strix GTX 970 - Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD - WD 1TB HDD - Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 1866MHz - SeaSonic X-Series 750KM3 - Cooler Master 690 III Case - Asus VG248QE Monitor.
Noctis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-15   #6
teh nuB!
[E]onian
Billionaire!
 
 
Dr.SlaveMaker's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Eden Prime
Posts: 89
Dr.SlaveMaker is Mysterious
Re: Gaming Setup Under 1 Lac?

Hey man I will be selling two box packed GTX 980s brand new in 2 days at very very good price so hit me up if you are interested
Dr.SlaveMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-15   #7
teh nuB!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.
 
 
cinecon's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 68
cinecon is somewhat of a Mystery
Re: Gaming Setup Under 1 Lac?

Originally Posted by realandR3cys View Post
Mate you seriously need to change things up a bit from the parts you've chosen :

1. Change that mobo. I wouldn't suggest Z97-A when you're particularly pushing for overclocking and stability.

Atleast settle for the Asus Maximus 7 Ranger or the Sabertooth Mark 2 - both costs around 14.5K
If you can go a little higher, then the Maximus 7 Ranger for 17K

2. For the storage part, cut off one of those 2x2 TB drives.
Take up one 2TB Seagate and then you can invest the rest in atleast a 120GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD for 5K
We'll have to see if your budget allows that.

3. I'd suggest no less than 16GB RAM.
Since you'd be gaming much, and considering the recent game requirements, 16GB should last you for a while.

So, here's what i suggest :

i7 4790K = 23K
Mobo : Asus Maximus 7 Ranger / Sabertooth Mark 2 = 14.5K
RAM : Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8GB 1866mhz = 9.5K

HDD : Seagate Barracuda 2TB = 5.5K
PSU : Seasonic M12ii 620 EVO = 6.3K

That comes to 58.8K with rest for cabby, GPU and cooler.
Once you decide on the GPU we can look for the options on the cooler and cabinet.
1. thanks for your suggestions! I had taken the ranger and the mark 2 as options but figured maybe I could save a few bucks and go for a cheaper but decent option. I checked the reviews for ranger online and it looks pretty impressive and I guess spending a few bucks extra goes a long way. I will be giving it a shot thats for sure.
2. I understand your SSD suggestion but I was thinking more on the lines of RAID.
3. Where did you get these prices from? Everywhere I look the prices are bloated beyond reason.

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Originally Posted by Noctis View Post
If you're going to be using it for purely gaming, even the i5-4690K would suffice. It would save you around 7-8k and you could use that to pick up an SSD like the Samsung 850 EVO for the OS boot drive.

As for overclocking on air, check out the Noctua D-15. It's one of the best coolers out there but make sure your case is big enough to support it.
hey, I won't just be gaming but I would be doing content creation as well, so rendering will be a big part too which is why i chose the 4790k. It does seem to have pretty good results as far as editing is concerned and good results for gaming too so I thought why not go for an all rounder. Appreciate your suggestions though.
cinecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-15   #8
Patient_Zero
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Zombie Enthusiast
 
 
realandR3cys's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kolkata, WB
Posts: 2,311
realandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly Admirable
Originally Posted by cinecon View Post
1. thanks for your suggestions! I had taken the ranger and the mark 2 as options but figured maybe I could save a few bucks and go for a cheaper but decent option. I checked the reviews for ranger online and it looks pretty impressive and I guess spending a few bucks extra goes a long way. I will be giving it a shot thats for sure.
2. I understand your SSD suggestion but I was thinking more on the lines of RAID.
3. Where did you get these prices from? Everywhere I look the prices are bloated beyond reason.

Thanks!
1. Well, firstly, you shouldn't go with RAID0. Yes, in RAID you get great sequential read/write speeds and the advantage just ends there.

The most stellar disadvantage is the risk you associate with RAID, cause if one of the drive fails, the whole array fails, and your data gets lost. So, a huge thing to consider here.

Secondly, individual drives strike up more Random I/O numbers, which is very much needed for everyday usage, over drives in RAID. This short Single Vs RAID SSD test article should help you.

So, in a nutshell, if i were you, i would never risk my data going for RAID.
So, unless you really need the extra Sequential Read/Write speeds, i would go with a single drive in a heart beat!

2. Regarding the prices i've quoted, most of them are local prices. Though you can get some of them at good prices online.

At the time of writing this :
M7 Ranger @15.4K



Kingston HyperX Fury @4K (per 8GB stick)



Seagate Barracuda 2TB @5.4K/Snapdeal

Seasonic M12ii 620 EVO @6.7K


cinecon likes this.
realandR3cys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-15   #9
teh nuB!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.
 
 
cinecon's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 68
cinecon is somewhat of a Mystery
Re: Gaming Setup Under 1 Lac?

Originally Posted by realandR3cys View Post
1. Well, firstly, you shouldn't go with RAID0. Yes, in RAID you get great sequential read/write speeds and the advantage just ends there.

The most stellar disadvantage is the risk you associate with RAID, cause if one of the drive fails, the whole array fails, and your data gets lost. So, a huge thing to consider here.

Secondly, individual drives strike up more Random I/O numbers, which is very much needed for everyday usage, over drives in RAID. This short Single Vs RAID SSD test article should help you.

So, in a nutshell, if i were you, i would never risk my data going for RAID.
So, unless you really need the extra Sequential Read/Write speeds, i would go with a single drive in a heart beat!

2. Regarding the prices i've quoted, most of them are local prices. Though you can get some of them at good prices online.

At the time of writing this :
M7 Ranger @15.4KAmazon.in: Buy Asus Intel MAXUMUS VII RANGER Motherboard Online at Low Prices in India | Asus Reviews & Ratings

Kingston HyperX Fury @4K (per 8GB stick) Kingston FURY Memory - 8GB Module - DDR3 1866MHz CL10: Amazon.in: Electronics

Seagate Barracuda 2TB @5.4K/Snapdeal

Seasonic M12ii 620 EVO @6.7K Amazon.in: Buy Seasonic M12II-620 EVO M12II Series 620-Watt Modular Power Supply Online at Low Prices in India | Sea Sonic Reviews & Ratings
Wow! Thanks a ton for this info man. It helped a LOT. Didn't know the things you mentioned about RAID, I was banking on the fact that if one goes out the other might be useful in some way but I guess I was confusing it with NAS? But really appreciate the info. Thanks a ton!!
cinecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-15   #10
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.
 
 
beep's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 119
beep is very Notable
Re: Gaming Setup Under 1 Lac?

What about gtx 980 strix??


beep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-15   #11
teh nuB!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.
 

 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 71
clutchtime is Mysterious
Re: Gaming Setup Under 1 Lac?

@cinecon, RAID can be used as a mirror back up too. Ex: if you put 2 drives in a raid other than 1 (i think), you have one drive that stores all your data while the other is an exact copy of the first drive, thereby creating a backup.
cinecon likes this.
clutchtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-15   #12
teh nuB!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.
 
 
cinecon's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 68
cinecon is somewhat of a Mystery
Re: Gaming Setup Under 1 Lac?

Originally Posted by clutchtime View Post
@cinecon, RAID can be used as a mirror back up too. Ex: if you put 2 drives in a raid other than 1 (i think), you have one drive that stores all your data while the other is an exact copy of the first drive, thereby creating a backup.
Thats what i had in mind initially but now i think im gonna go with an sshd as boot and a normal hdd as secondary[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

Originally Posted by beep View Post
What about gtx 980 strix??


Hey beep, with the kind of components i am going for i dont think a gtx 980 would be possible. I am already over budget WITH a strix 970 in mind
cinecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-15   #13
teh nuB!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.
 

 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 71
clutchtime is Mysterious
Re: Gaming Setup Under 1 Lac?

@cinecon, could you list out the final selection of components? Maybe i could help you pick and choose the essentials vs. what you might never use.
cinecon likes this.
clutchtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-15   #14
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
What to upgrade now???
 
 
BluDev's Avatar
Rig Gallery
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 321
BluDev is Notable
Re: Gaming Setup Under 1 Lac?

ok so here are the changes i would make

SSD is a MUST
the boot times and load times are like night and day difference from a HDD
if you are planning on installing lots of games atleast a 256gb is a must
otherwise go for a 128gb

second 16gb IMO is overkill
video editing softwares need lots of RAM so if you are into that by all means
otherwise for gaming 8gb is more than enough ( 4*2 is better than 8*1 tho)
(i have 8 gb and rarely see with system and gaming load usage go above 5gb)
VRAm is more important than sysRam

third if only planning for gaming you wont see much anything above a i5-2500k is same performance for games
so i would save and go for a 4690k or if no overclock plans skip the K version

enjoy
Cheers
cinecon likes this.
__________________
Intel i5-8400, Corsair H80iV2Cooler, AsusROG STRIZ H370i, Corsair Vengeance 8 gb DDR4 3000 Mhz ,Gigabyte GTX 1080 Gaming G1 with Kraken G12+Corsair H75 Liquid Cooling, CM Elite 130 , Corsair HX 850, DELL SP2309W

SAMSUNG 970 EVO 500gb NVME and 840 EVO 500 gb Windows 10 PRO
BluDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-15   #15
teh nuB!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.
 
 
cinecon's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 68
cinecon is somewhat of a Mystery
Re: Gaming Setup Under 1 Lac?

Originally Posted by clutchtime View Post
@cinecon, could you list out the final selection of components? Maybe i could help you pick and choose the essentials vs. what you might never use.
Absolutely, that would be of great help! Here's my almost final list (all Nehru Place prices unless mentioned otherwise):

Processor: Core i7 4790k - Rs. 23.5k
GPU: Asus Strix 970 - Rs. 27.5k
Mobo: Asus Maximus 7 Ranger - Rs. 15.5k (great suggestion @realandR3cys )
Storage: Samsung 250gb EVO - 9k (Estimate - haven't asked NP yet) (would LOVE to cut down on this but almost every other good ssd costs as much )
WD Green 3 TB - 5.5k
Ram: 2x1Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb 1866Mhz - Rs. 9000 (Flipkart)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series Spec 03 (Red) - Rs. 4500 (estimate based on online prices)
PSU: Seasonic m12ii 620W Evo - Rs. 6.2k (Online) (I might go for lower wattage but future SLI possibilities are there so...) (would love to buy a cheaper yet good one, modular if possible)
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212x Air cooling heat sink - Rs. 3300 (Flipkart)/ OR Corsair H55 water cooler (bleak chances of me getting it though)
Mouse: Haven't decided on the mouse yet, wasn't an option first but I figured a better mouse is needed. Budget - Rs. 2k (fixed)
Case Fans: Going for non-branded 3 fans - Rs. 1k (wild estimate)
UPS: Haven't decided yet but after checking online prices - Rs. 2k (minimum)

Total - Rs. 1,09,000. That's Rs. 9k over budget! Damn.

@BluDev - I just read your post, thanks for the advice! this is my updated list, what do you think? yes, I will be editing a lot too which is why i figured maybe going for the 4790k is a good option? that's also the reason behind the 16gb ram. Also I read that the 4790k has fixed a few heating issues from the previous generations? and yes, I will be overclocking too.
@realandR3cys - What say you of my build?

Guys be AS open and critical as possible. You would be helping me out a truck load. Wherever needed, a cheaper option would begreatly appreciated because there is the question of Roti, Kapda and Makaan but I don't want to compensate on quality. Thanks!
clutchtime likes this.

Last edited by cinecon; 17-06-15 at 10:08 AM.
cinecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Medium Gaming PC Setup Under 20K TigerHeart PC Buying Help 7 18-03-15 01:53 AM
Need a Development Machine + Gaming + HD Playback Rolled into One Setup blufox PC Buying Help 18 02-05-13 01:47 AM
Suggest Gaming Setup Under 15-17K PiX PC Buying Help 14 03-01-13 11:29 AM
New Gaming PC Setup satyanjoy PC Buying Help 14 09-11-12 10:45 PM
Upgrade New Gaming Setup ashu_dps Upgraditis 15 19-09-10 10:51 AM


Tags
gaming, lac, setup
All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:41 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.