Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Launchpad > News
Register Forgot Password?
Post New News  Reply

Article Tools Search this Article

Old
Gaming at 12k : A Glimpse into the Future of Crazy High Resolutions
by ChironX 26-07-13

Gaming at 12k : A glimpse into the future of crazy high resolutions

Gaming at higher resolutions is still considered to be a niche due to the high prices of the monitors to boot with and the additional cost of graphics muscle that is required to drive the games with all the settings turned on at those resolutions. Most of us game at 1080p, while some of us have moved on to 1440p. But with the advent of performance hardware becoming more mainstream (i5-2500k and Radeon HD7870 are two great examples of this), more and more people are venturing into the domain of HD+ resolutions.

We already saw demonstrations of even higher resolution displays, dubbed 4k due to a crazy 3840x2160 resolution, from big guns like Samsung, LG and Sharp. Earlier this month we have also seen the launch of world's first commercially available 4k display, based on Sharp's IZGO technology in the form of Asus' PB321Q, at an eye watering $3500.

So when Gavin Gear and folks got their hands on not one, but three Sharp PN-K321 monitors, they already knew what to do with them. Off they went setting it together for a setup of every gamer's wet dream :

At an eye popping 11520x2160 resolution, that setup was equal to 12 1080p displays, equalling a mind-numbing 24,883,200 pixels! Earlier in a review in AnandTech, Ian Cutress had observed that to maintain playable frame rates at 60Hz on a 4k monitor in games like Metro required not one, not two, but four GTX Titans. Here, Gavin and folks used a couple of HD7970s, which were a smart choice given AMD's proven track record with Eyefinity and 7970s using 3 GBs of VRAM were probably the best 'value' card that one could buy.

Dirt 3 was the game they tried their hands on. While not being as intensive as other titles, this gave a fair picture as what kind of muscle was required to drive those 3 gigantic displays. Three 7970s gave an average of 65 FPS on 12k resolution running at 60Hz. Now that's in no way a mean feat!

Here are some more of those crazy information :

GPU cores: 3 x 2,048 = 6,144 total cores
Rendered pixels per second = 11,520 x 2,160 x 60 Hz = 1,492,992,000

More of this, read on here at Windows Extreme Blog : Pushing the 12K PC Gaming Boundary at 1.5 Billion Pixels per Second
Attached Thumbnails
>display-cpl-resolution-eyefinity-11520x2160_1c1e94ce.jpg   >jeff-3x1-setup-pn-k321-dirt3-crop-1200_6f8600c1.jpg   >sharp-pn-k321-4k-eyefinity-windows-desktop-1200_4fc7012c.jpg  
ManISinJpr and rooney2messi like this.
Views 3231 Comments 10
Total Comments 10

Comments

Old 26-07-13
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble
Re: Gaming at 12k : A Glimpse into the Future of Crazy High Resolutions

So OMFG !!!! Amazing !!

I am thrilled at such experiments !! superb !!

Too many exclamation marks I know. but

See the monitors which are supporting such resolutions

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

As this info is too good to share I post the TV's of all kinds that are also equipped to show such resolutions !

ChironX likes this.
Old 26-07-13
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Steamroller?

uniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirable

Thats one hell of kind gaming monster.
I can only dream about now. May be in next 5-6 years these setups will be mainstream & that kind of gpu processing will be in a single mainstream gpu. But those 4k monitors will take more time to be affordable.
I wish i were owner of an oil well (or a gold mine) so that i can afford that kind of rig now.
Old 26-07-13
teh priesT!
[E]onian
does this count as annoying?

bharat14101991 is very Honorablebharat14101991 is very Honorable

Originally Posted by uniquegamer View Post
Thats one hell of kind gaming monster.
I can only dream about now. May be in next 5-6 years these setups will be mainstream & that kind of gpu processing will be in a single mainstream gpu. But those 4k monitors will take more time to be affordable.
I wish i were owner of an oil well (or a gold mine) so that i can afford that kind of rig now.
but in 5-6 years may be we will see 120k(toomuch?)

ON TOPIC: this is just amazing, this feels like a movie just we know that it all is real. this really is a gamer's wet dream
Old 29-07-13
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Revolution is Mysterious

Lol!
At present true HD gaming is dream for me.
Old 30-07-13
teh priesT!
[E]onian
[E]ddicted !

mohitgamer is highly Reputablemohitgamer is highly Reputablemohitgamer is highly Reputable

Amazing News share. This is in fact a True EYE-CANDY !!
Old 03-08-13
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

Ankit6688 is Mysterious

Lol at first I thought that in the thread title, 12k was in Rs
Old 22-02-15
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

soyab0007 is Mysterious

Old 22-02-15
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

redhotiron2004 is Notable

Just pure show off just like Intel processor at 8GHz. Grab attention but nothing worth using.

I would anyday prefer a bigger single 4k screen to game on rather than 3 small 4k screen.

The sight of black bezzel in between the screens is enough to put me off.

4k resolution even at 50 inch screen is so dense that it looks picture perfect. Even looking at the display from up close doesn't make it easy to spot even a single pixel.

This obsession with higher pixel number without any practical purpose is purely to show off how big there di** is.

All I want is a single graphic card that can push the 60fps limit at 4k with full details. At reasonable price level. Now that would be news for all.
Old 22-02-15
Cat in the rat race
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Incognito

ChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly Famed

The point of this was purely to showcase what the current generation hardware is capable of. This is NOT to be mixed with what is practical etc. because it is not aiming for a day to day workstation or gaming setup.

That being said the one bad thing Windows hasn't yet fixed is DPI scaling. Once that is fixed and we have more capable hardware we will see more people going for these displays.

Sent from ChironX's G.Two
Old 14-05-19
teh nuB!

tekshapers is Mysterious

Tekshapers is one of the astounding mobile game development company that brings an in-depth understanding of game development services, an eye for detail and rich experience of the mobile platform.
Post New News  Reply
Please share with friends!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search

Similar News
Article Author Forum Replies Last Post
High End Gaming Rig coolone PC Buying Help 25 23-02-13 12:27 AM
NvidiaGeforce Nvidia Grid : The Future of Gaming? ChironX Graphics Cards 6 10-01-13 07:16 AM
Samsung Preps Full HD AMOLED Screens for Future High-End Smartphones The Knight Interesting News on the Web 4 17-11-12 09:19 PM
Future of PC Gaming. akS ! Reviews & Previews 44 03-05-10 01:07 PM
Are multiplayer cooperative campaigns gaming the future of PC games? KiD0M4N x Gaming 8 10-12-08 01:44 PM

Tags
12k, crazy, future, gaming, glimpse, high, resolutions